Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Camera Roll v. My Photo Stream v. iCloud Photo Stream

Camera Roll v. My Photo Stream v. iCloud Photo Stream
Thorzdad
Apr 28, 2019, 12:54 PM

On my wife's 6s (iOS 12.2), her Photos app contains the usual Camera Roll folder as well as a My Photo Stream folder (whatever that is). Camera Roll contains every photo she's ever taken. My Photo Stream appears to contain a small subset of Camera Roll pics. How they got in there is anyone's guess. She doesn't recall ever enabling any sort of photo stream. Every pic that is in My Photo Stream is also in Camera Roll.

She keeps getting prompts to sign into an iCloud account she used to use in another job. She wants to just delete this account from her phone. But, of course, when she tries to, she gets the famous, purposefully scary, "Disabling iCloud will delete iCloud Photo Stream photos from this device" warning.

Q1: Are My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Stream the same thing? If not, what is the difference? There is no iCloud Photo Stream folder on my wife's phone. Only My Photo Stream (and, of course, Camera Roll)

Q2: If I'm reading my research correctly, deleting the iCloud account will not delete any photos currently in the Camera Roll folder. It will only delete pics in the iCloud Photo Stream folder (which doesn't exist). Will it also delete pics in the My Photo Stream folder? And, if it does, am I safe in assuming those photos will still remain in the Camera Roll folder?

FWIW, the iCloud account she wants to delete was for the previous job's shared iCal setup. As far as she can remember, she never used the iCloud account for photos. She does not have iCloud enabled in her actual Apple ID account.

Thanks.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2019, 02:13 PM

photo stream is an apple thing that will sync your photos via the cloud for 90 days. (not the same as icloud storage

You can see them on all devices without plugging in and importing.

can she connect to a desktop, import all photos, then do the delete old icloud account?

Thorzdad  (op)
Apr 28, 2019, 02:57 PM

I did a backup of the phone to our iMac, which backs-up all the photos, too. I'm guessing I'm good to kill that iCloud account. Just going in to turn-off just the streams gives you that nasty deletion warning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules