Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have you cancelled your MBP order because of Adobe

Have you cancelled your MBP order because of Adobe
GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 10:45 AM

Just curious if anyone is cancelled their MBP order because Adobe will not be releasing Universal binary versions of their products until 2007.

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 11:02 AM

Never!! I just want it! Being a new soon to be converted user... I just want my new macbook.

The apps still run OK under rosetta don't they?

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
Just curious if anyone is cancelled their MBP order because Adobe will not be releasing Universal binary versions of their products until 2007.
NO. But then again, being a System Administrator does not necessitate heavy photoshop usage. I only occasionally use Photoshop Elements.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2006, 11:59 AM

No, I cancelled my order for other reasons (hint -> FW800 and Dual Layer)!

atc ben
Feb 9, 2006, 01:03 PM

I haven't cancelled an order, but it is stopping me from ordering an MBP (no, the name doesn't bother me). That goes for all the Mac software that I'll have to buy, since I'll be a new convert from Windows. Why would I want to spend $2500.00 on a new laptop and $600.00 for a new CS2 license, only to have to "upgrade" it in a few months because it doesn't run without an emulator. I'll be waiting for more available native software, or Windows Vista - whichever comes first - before I buy my MBP. I'd also like to see a DL DVD burner. I want one in the worst way though!
( Last edited by atc ben; Feb 9, 2006 at 01:15 PM. )
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

werther
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 02:10 PM

with the release of the macbook i was going to send my brand new powerbook back -had the rma and called ups then I found out that macromedia(adobe) will not have binaries for about 18 months. I just cant wait that long

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 03:15 PM

We should have a new "Why Does Adobe Hate The Intel Macs So Much?! Waaah!" forum. Why's this have to come up over and over again in so many different ways? It was predictable, and Adobe is not doing anything wrong..

Actually, I should STFU for a second, because this thread is a little less whiny and paranoid than the usual conspiracy-theorist rants.

It definitely makes sense for someone like atc ben, an Adobe user switching from Windows, to wait, since you'd have to pay for Adobe apps twice before getting them at full speed. For a PowerBook user who's already bought their CS2 software, it's really a matter of how soon they were gonna get a new laptop anyway.. If you're someone who regularly skips upgrade cycles with Adobe apps, I can see how you'd be in a bind because you'd certainly be missing a performance boost by skipping CS3 on an Intel Mac.

werther: Macrobe is supposedly on track to continue their normal update cycle, meaning 18-24 months since the release of CS2, which was ~10 mos. ago. So new ones could show up as soon as 8 months from now (though admittedly as far off as 14 mos.)

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by werther
with the release of the macbook i was going to send my brand new powerbook back -had the rma and called ups then I found out that macromedia(adobe) will not have binaries for about 18 months. I just cant wait that long

Funny thing is, the MacBook Pro probably would have ran Photoshop with Rosetta with a similar performance to your new G4 Powerbook.

Here's my non-factual based theory. If anyone can proove and disproove, be my guest.

If I understand correctly, the Intel iMacs are running PhotoShop under Rosetta at speeds slower, but not dramatically so, than the G5 iMacs.

I would also think there is a large performance difference between a G4 system and a G5 system. Powerbooks, being G4 systems, would run PhotoShop quite a bit slower than their G5 iMac counterparts. So, I would think an Intel MacBook Pro could run PhotoShop at a speed similar to the G4 Powerbook. Both Rosetta and Photoshop are memory hungry so you would want to give it 2GB for best performance.

My thinking could be completely wrong so take with a grain of salt.

OreoCookie
Feb 9, 2006, 04:47 PM

Nope. I still use Photoshop 7 for some basic retouching. I will probably upgrade to Photoshop Elements 4.0 if it will indeed be a universal binary.

I guess iViewMedia Pro will run at least as fast as on my current PowerBook (G4 1.25 GHz AlBook), although I am considering to switch to Aperture.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by clbell
Funny thing is, the MacBook Pro probably would have ran Photoshop with Rosetta with a similar performance to your new G4 Powerbook.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe some people should use common sense rather than listening to the rants "Rosetta is 50% of Native!". drrrrrr. Even if the the MacBook is only 2x rather than 4x the speed of a current model PowerBook. Common sense would say, hmmm, one half of 2x = 1x. About the same speed as current PowerBooks. Oh, and I guess if ALL you are going to run is Photoshop, then you wouldn't notice everything else eatin' your PowerBook's lunch. yum.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
Where did you hear that Adobe said UBs won't be out until 2007? They never said that.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by albook
No, I cancelled my order for other reasons (hint -> FW800 and Dual Layer)!
FW800 is likely to never come back as an internal option. So your either left with getting an express card, or hoping your existing Powerbook holds up for the rest of eternity.

The dual layer drives will likely be slimmed down enough in the next few months to be included in the next revision.

Personally, the Adobe situation has no impact on my order. The only piece of Adobe software on my current PowerBook is the reader application to open some DRM protected documents. The one thing that will hold up my complete move to the MacBook is a working VPN client from Nortel, but it looks like my job may change here quickly anyhow.
<This space under renovation>

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by atc ben
I'd also like to see a DL DVD burner. I want one in the worst way though!
whats that all about, how bad do you want one??

and if I had orderd an MBP, I would've cancelled because of FCP no running at all under Rosetta. I dont use PS a whole lot, so I could deal with it running thru Rosetta the few times I ran it.

atc ben
Feb 9, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
whats that all about, how bad do you want one??
let me clarify it for you, hickey. i'd like to see a DL DVD burner in my mbp, but it isn't the deal breaker that the lack of native software is. by the time i order one, they probably will have upgraded to a DL drive anyway. i am currently without a laptop at all, and i really want to buy one, but as i stated, it would be silly for me to switch platforms right now because a lot of the software i use is in limbo. it's like there is a shiny new laptop in the store window, and i have the money for it burning a hole in my pocket, but there is very little software worth buying to make that laptop a productive tool. so, i'm forced to wait. get it?
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
and if I had orderd an MBP, I would've cancelled because of FCP no running at all under Rosetta. I dont use PS a whole lot, so I could deal with it running thru Rosetta the few times I ran it.
If you'd ordered an MBP, the Universal update for FCP would probably be available shortly after you got your laptop.

I'm just sayin'..

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 08:15 PM

yeah I get it atc ben, thanks.

and yeah I know FCP is being released in UB this march I think. But Im done with the whole laptop scene, I dont use the portability enough to justify not getting a more powerful desktop.

werther
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 10:51 AM

i am sorry if I hit a soft spot there brother. Yes it is true that I am in fact going by what others have said about macromedia performance on the intel imac. truth be told in using my g4 pbook i have no complaints -i love it. And I have it NOW. There were a number of factors that had me question whether or not I should send the thing back for a macbook -being that macromedia is my primary software the macromedia/rosetta situation is in the end what tipped me back to the direction of the powerbook.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:01 PM

Oh, no biggy, werther, and of course I have no reason to mind if you love your G4 (I still like my busted-ass TiBook). Just wanted to helpfully point out that it wouldn't be a whole 18 months before Macrobe Universals came out; it just happened at the end of a rant. Anyway, like I said, it still could be a whole 14 months before that stuff comes out, and for all I know, the low estimate of 8 months might be an unacceptable wait for you. Enjoy your Mac.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 02:39 PM

I'm one of those pros who bought in October the new DL 15", and love it. I have the ability to buy the MacBook Pro, but will not because Adobe won't be releasing an Intel-native version until next year, latest. We know this because of their last press statement. By the time they do, the second release of the MacBook Pro—that's probably even faster—will be out. Then, a big purchase may be necessary .

radii_22
Mar 6, 2006, 07:30 PM

Do you know how is the performance of Macromedia apps (Flash and Dreamweaver) in the Intel Macs? Do you have any links?

Thanks!!
--->>> Karate is only for defense

terigox
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by radii_22
Do you know how is the performance of Macromedia apps (Flash and Dreamweaver) in the Intel Macs? Do you have any links?

Thanks!!
Dreamweaver has been find for me... feels pretty normal I haven't done much in flash though, so i can't speak for that.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:17 PM

First, I seriously doubt that it is going to take adobe until 2007 to release a UB of PS. In fact, I bet we see a UB much sooner than most of you think. Once the entire Apple line is Intel based Adobe will rake in the $$$ with everyone upgrading. This is going to be HUGE for Adobe.

Second, I played with PS on a MBP and it runs faster then on my 1GHz Ti PB, as does Word.

I for one am very happy that I ordered the MBP. I just can't wait until it gets here.

newsushi
Mar 6, 2006, 10:21 PM

Am I waiting for Adobe? Yes...

Would Photoshop run approximately as fast on a brand new MBP as on my 1.33 Ghz G4 Powerbook? Yes...

So why in tarnation would I want to drop $2000 to get the same performance? Sounds like false economy to me. I have hope that by the time Adobe releases the Creative Suite in a universal binary, the MBP will have been revised and will have an even faster processor (perhaps 2.25 or 2.33 Ghz)...and it will still be $2000. wOOt!

-NewSushi

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 10:23 PM

I haven't cancelled my order but I won't be buying one until i can use Studio / CS natively. I figure by the end of this year, that should be a reality.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2006, 11:04 PM

My friend cancelled his order because some of its inferior capibilities. Such as FW, Superdrive..., he really liked my PB and decided to wait until the second revision.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Kadman
Mar 6, 2006, 11:58 PM

My cycle is to get a new PC and Mac annually (but not at the same time). I've already sold my last Mac, but with all of the changes I simply plan to rely solely on my PC for this year. I'll just see what things look like around this time next year in MBP-land. Part of this is Adobe related, but most of it isn't.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 02:29 AM

No, I've not cancelled any Macbook because of Adobe, I've cancelled my Adobe because of Adobe. I am not going to let their slothful migration away from CodeWarrior and the resulting delay in universal binaries ruin my MacBook experience, and besides, sitting out the CS2 suite as I also did with CS means getting a better MacBook. I will continue to use Photoshop 7 and InDesign 2 for now, and as for raw conversion, now that I have pretty much decided to dump Nikon Capture, if I like iPhoto enough, I will give Aperture a look.

And for work, already Intel-ized Stata will take care of the number crunching, and it's a jump ball between Office and iWork for the rest.

MutePrint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 04:31 AM

I think the real issue is this- I would estimate that at minimum, about half of all potential MBP buyers currently own some incarnation of the G4 PB. From that standpoint, it is easy to see why one would consider it impractical to drop $2500 on a version of MBP that will likely have been superseded by the time they can actually use the thing at full capacity. I certainly would sit tight in that position.

On the other hand, there are those of us still arduously designing on obsolete PCs (athlon xp 1500+ with 512 of absurdly outdated ram) that are ready to take the plunge, and while we are extremely disappointed about adobe's lack of immediate support, half-speed in rosetta is still double-speed in the world of a 5 year-old PC, and the innumerable other advantages of the MBP make it well worth the investment (especially when our current systems are being kept alive by high-powered house fans pointed directly at the exposed processors, and our average time of use between CS2 crashes is 4 and half minutes).

Either way, I bet my left arm that CS3 will be out by November.

Forum Links
Forum Rules