Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Damaged Case Question

Damaged Case Question
alm8319
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 12:36 AM

This afternoon I dropped my Aluminum Powerbook. The computer works fine. It opens, turns on, etc. The problem is that the casing is severely damaged. The left edge has buckled so that the computer will still close normally, but it is warped to the point that while the plug will go in, it must not be reaching its contact point.
As I said, the computer works perfectly fine, but the only way to get a charge is to physically push the plug into the input. I brought it to Apple and they said something like $700 to replace all the casings. The sent me to tekserve who told me I NEEDED to fix it because trying to charge it like this is a fire hazard and it will spark and explode.

Any advice as to what to do? I'm looking for as many suggestoins as possible. Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 12:44 AM

pbfixit has the parts you need, it will probbaly be $500-600.

alm8319  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:33 AM

Is it possible to manipulate the casing around the dc input so it will charge without replacing the casing?

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 10:43 AM

My wife dropped a candle holder on top of her out of warranty PB 17" G4. It caused a dent next to the trackpad and up next to the escape key. I took it apart and was able to gently hammer the dents out from the under side of the casing. There are still some slight scratches but it looks much better.
( Last edited by GreenwoodMO; Feb 15, 2006 at 10:55 AM. )

alm8319  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 11:30 AM

I've never done any computer repairs myself, how hard you it be to take it apart and hammer out these dents myself.

I am in Manhattan, does anyone know a place that could do it for me. I brought it to Tekserve and they said it was impossible to manipulate the metal.

What about the idea that it is a fire hazard to charge?

phuture
Feb 18, 2006, 04:25 AM

If you feel comfortable taking apart your powerbook, then do it and then take the dented panels to a paintless dent repair service for cars... you know, the guys who work dings out of car doors and hoods. Now I have seen these guys in action, they are phenomenal! Had my car done once. If Tekserve said it's impossible to manipulate the metal, I think that's B.S. Just an idea.

Or, you could take the panels to a jewelry craftsman, he's more used to working with delicate materials. Don't be like my friend who dropped his 15" Al book, took it apart and screwed it up even more trying to bend it back to shape using pliers.

phuture
Feb 18, 2006, 04:27 AM

p.s. most paintless dent repair places charge in the range of $50-$120. I used to work in the auto industry. A jewelry repair center -- no idea how much. At any rate, it'll be so much better than $700

Forum Links
Forum Rules