Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Universal Binary Question

Universal Binary Question
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2006, 02:59 AM

So is it that the well programmed PPC programs run in Roseatta while the badly programmed ones don't... becuase I've been on many a freeware forum where they say that the app won't load and simply bounces on the dock... yet Office for Mac and Photoshop run in Rosetta... If there is anyone who understands Rosetta better than I do, please help!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 04:54 AM

basically, "yes."

Some programs, however, won't run within Rosetta not because they are "badly programmed", but because they are specifically optimized for certain hardware, or require direct access to certain hardware (such as some audio programs, drivers, etc.). The hardware architecture of the Intel machines is *completely* different.

And some programs *will* run within Rosetta *despite* the fact that they are "badly programmed" - Microsoft Office, for example, was a bastard beast running natively, and it still is a bastard beast running under Rosetta.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 05:48 AM

Yeah it's better if you tell us what applications you are having problems with instead of the ones you are not having problems.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 06:21 AM

I don't think this is a "Universal Binary Question" at all.

Dillon-K  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2006, 03:44 PM

thanks...

How does Photoshop run under Rosetta...? I mean, I probably won't be doing any intensive work, just some retouching here and there... and right now I'm running on a 700mhz PIII in an old IBM ThinkPad (I know, pretty sucky)... would Photoshop run faster, slower, or equal to that....? As long as it's not slower, I'm completely fine. I'm used to things being slow... .

now to find some Universal alternatives to those programs that don't work...
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

OreoCookie
Jul 16, 2006, 06:27 PM

Well, it feels about as fast as/a little slower on my MacBook Pro@2 GHz than it did on my PowerBook G4 1.25. It's fine for everyday work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules