Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Colloquy IRC Chat App a sad example for bad support

Colloquy IRC Chat App a sad example for bad support
Thorne^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 06:19 PM

Hello

I know the Colloquy irc chat program is free and there are alternatives, but the way like they seem to handle reported bugs is a bit sad.
The bug with the nicks with special chars for Channel OPs isnt nice, but one can live with it, but if the "WHOIS flood bug on ircops" finds no attention, is very sad.

Chatlog #colloquy Support Channel on Monday, 21.08.2006, CET
xenon= Author of Colloquy
Rinoa= Member of the Colloquy Team
jane= a Colloquy User
Thorne^= a Colloquy User

[22:36] Thorne^: xenon: the blanc channel seems to be ok, but there is still one thing, on irc networks with special op chars ( -@nick , and *@nick) are 2 errors: No.1 nick completor doesnt work if the nicks have this chars in front of the @. No. 2 if people with -@ quit on this kind of networks, the nick stays still in the nicklist, the chatter returns and his nick is 2x in the nicklist
[22:36] xenon: what server is this?
[22:37] xenon: Thorne^: do we have a trac ticket?
[22:37] Thorne^: solution could be to add other colors instead of the special chars
[22:38] xenon: no it is related to the parsing not the icons
[22:38] Thorne^: we had a few months ago incl. a screenshot, but it got closed
[22:38] xenon: please file a bug if there isn't one already
[22:38] xenon: i did fix some thigns, but not what you mention
[22:38] xenon: i don't remember seeing a bug for what you say
[22:42] Thorne^: oh and i forget a 3rd small problem, if ppl chat with ircops on a network, or send them a file, the ircop gets endless flooded with "whois requests" in his status window (console in colloquy) in mirc, the only way to stop it is to quit/leave the server and reconnect
[22:44] Thorne^: the whois comes every 2 seconds
[22:45] xenon: i don't not understand that. we don't whois when you write or dcc someone
[22:45] jane: well colloquy whoises somewhere
[22:45] xenon: please file tickets for these issues, i will just forget
[22:45] Thorne^: well the colloquy app does
[22:45] jane: cause that happens to me too
[22:45] Thorne^: see
[22:45] jane: not necessarily when you chat with them, but it was something else i dont remember
[22:45] xenon: please file tickets for these issues, i will just forget
[23:08] Rinoa: Thorne^: your ticket just got closed, you already reported it once
[23:08] Thorne^: k
[23:08] Rinoa: akempgen was the reporter, but he stated you was the real ticket owner
[23:09] Thorne^: but then i wonder why the same problems are there since more than 8 months
[23:22] Rinoa: Thorne^: the ticket was closed because we arent going to fix it
[23:22] Thorne^: now thats cool
[23:26] Rinoa: Thorne^: you can take that up with the server who is using non-standard crap

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 07:06 PM

The developer has a point. You need to file a ticket to make it easier for him. Keeping track of bugs isn't easy. Usually we use ticket tracking system so we can remember which bugs to fix. It looks like he's just asking you to file a bug into his tracking system.

As for non-standard server stuff, he's not really obligated to support non standard stuff.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Thorne^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
The developer has a point. You need to file a ticket to make it easier for him. Keeping track of bugs isn't easy. Usually we use ticket tracking system so we can remember which bugs to fix. It looks like he's just asking you to file a bug into his tracking system.

As for non-standard server stuff, he's not really obligated to support non standard stuff.

The ticket system to report bugs is well known to me, its exactly what i choosed to report them.
What they told me in the irc chat channel, is the result of the bug report ticket.
My point is, if the developer of Colloquy adds features to Colloquy, which is non standard stuff, he should make sure it works correctly, or dont add it. If his knowledge isnt good enough to fix his added non standard stuff, he should atleast remove the feature.

The reason why ircops only see the "whois flooding" after dcc send to someone or receive dcc sends by someone, are the user flags on the server.
A normal user, even a channel op isnt able to see this whois flood info, doesnt mean he isnt flooded, he just cannot see it like a ircop.
The whois info is standard stuff on irc, and no other irc program apart of Colloquy does a whois flood after dcc.
I can test and compare it, because im irc server admin and ircop, the developer of colloquy isnt.

Thorne^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 05:56 AM

A example for the whois flood

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Thorne^
A example for the whois flood

since when did irc networks alert you when a user /whois'd you? Weird.
Some networks have weird stuff like that, it'd be really hard to fix bugs for every network.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Moose
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 08:48 AM

1) Rinoa (xenon's broad--xenon's Tim Hatcher) is pretty much a dumb bitch, as you just saw. Tim's actually helpful and useful.

2) A number of networks tell server operators when users WHOIS them. It's not non-standard crap.

3) Repeatedly WHOISing a user (especially when it's apparently unexpected behavior) is not an efficient use of anyone's bandwidth.

Thorne^  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 07:06 AM

Hello

After they read my posting here, confirmed other people the WHOIS problem too, and they tried to fix it with a new Release (build).
It wasnt really successful at all, in difference to the earlier Colloquy builds, comes the WHOIS 9 minutes, instead of nonstop/endless.

Right many IRC Networks have ircd's who show WHOIS requests via notice when users WHOIS ircops and server admins.

The IRC Specs are 13 years old, written to a time where people had text based irc chat apps like bitchX, IRCD features changed a lot meanwhile.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2006, 08:01 AM

Ask for a refund inmediatly!

Wait ... doh!

*sigh*

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 10:06 AM

You get what you pay for.

In your case, you got more than that. Quit bitchin'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules