Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Weird heat problem with Starcraft

Weird heat problem with Starcraft
eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2007, 05:17 AM

Hello there,

I'm having this bizarro issue.

My MacBook Pro (rev. A) gets REAL hot when playing Starcraft. That would not be a problem itself, it's expected to run hotter when playing games, but the thing is that the machine seems to ignore it and doesn't rise up the RPMs of the fans.

Hence the machine gets to a point of shutting itself off to prevent damage from overheating.

I have monitored the temp readins and fans, and they work as expected when maxing CPU (two terminal windows with "yes > /dev/null" efectively made the fans go top notch speed) and other games also made the fans go up as expected. It's with Starcraft with the one I'm having problems with, the temperature reading goes up and up and up without the fans noticing, and the Mac shuts down eventually.

I'm clueless, at first I thought my fans and/or temperature sensors were borked, but they seem to work in other situations.

¿Ideas? Damn Starcraft 2 announcement, made me want to play again Starcraft and this issue is driving me nuts ....

Powerbook
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 05:09 AM

You tried other games _in Rosetta_, since Starcraft is PPC only...?

Edit: Just saw it on other forums, this seems to be a bug in StarCraft... Hm.

Regards
PB.
( Last edited by Powerbook; May 29, 2007 at 05:16 AM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules