Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap

ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Aug 10, 2007, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why would it be the software operator's fault?

You guys are pathetically apologetic on behalf of Apple. They are just an f-ing company, not a religion.
Same can be said about the Linux platform....

Well cept the company part.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 07:43 AM

iDVD launch problem solution:
The company recommends users open a Finder window and drag the following folder and file into the trash:

Library/Application Support/iDVD/Installed Themes;
Library/Caches/com.apple.idvd.

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2007, 09:22 AM

I like the new iMovie. I always thought it was way to hard to find clips with the old iMovie. I understand the difficulty that more advanced users are facing with missing features, but that is why they let you download iMovie 6, I guess. iMovie 08 has really reduced the barrier to entry for video editing and I would imagine they will add back in some of the old features as they figure out a way to merge the more advanced features into an easy to use interface.

iPhoto did a pretty great job making events for me as I already had my film roles organized this way for the most part. The big difference is that it is is WAY easier to find photos you are looking for using Events. I had some trouble with web gallery at first, but I think that was because I was updating my iWeb web site at the same time. It's working great now.

kman

tavin64
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 10:04 AM

Isn't the whole point of imovie and whatnot from a marketing standpoint that it allows people to make their own home movies and burn them to dvds for the whole family to enjoy?

And btw what is Steve Jobs smoking? The DVD is not going anywhere anytime soon. The HD format wars are in full swing and there is not clear cut winner in sight. Who does he think he is? Sony?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jpa View Post
I got 150euros because I bought both iLife and iWorks... you'd have to get both if you are using these applications....
You have to get both if you want to get both, but they by no means require each other. You can only get one or the other if you only need one of them. So it's only 79 € for iLife '08 with is "the worst piece of crap". iWork '08 is rather nice and I haven't heard many complaints about it. That package is definitely worth the money.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You have to get both if you want to get both, but they by no means require each other. You can only get one or the other if you only need one of them. So it's only 79 € for iLife '08 with is "the worst piece of crap". iWork '08 is rather nice and I haven't heard many complaints about it. That package is definitely worth the money.
How compatible is the new spreadsheet app with excel? Is it openoffice compatible or better?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 11:08 AM

Apple - iWork - Trial

If you have something special in mind you need to check, download the trial and you have 30 days to test compatibility.

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
I've got to agree with the frustating experience on iLife '08.

My mom does DVD slideshows for friends- you know, the ken burns type, set to music, with some nice transitions and text overlays. She typically does them for weddings/parties/etc for friends.

Well, she decided to upgrade to iLife '08 for the new iMovie (which she thought would be an upgrade). Well, all I have to say is thank God for the ability to still use iMovie HD, as she lost much of the functionality she uses. The new iMovie has a very limited number and flexibility on titling compared to iMovie HD, and fewer transitions. On top of that, third party transition/plugin makers have been locked out.

On the other hand, the method used to perform the ken burns effect is much nicer than iMovie HD, but not at the expense of so much other functionality.

Either it was a big screw up on Apple's part, or they are trying to convince those who do more than just slap some video clips together, to upgrade to FCE.
I agree with you 100% I use iMovie almost as much as iPhoto and couldn't wait to upgrade to see what cool things they added. I was going out of town on the 8th, so I made a special trip to the apple store to pick up a copy the day it was released forfeiting my student discount. I opened up iMovie on the plane to start editing some HD video shot on a recent trip and was like what the hell? Where did they hide this, and that? How do I view as a timeline? I used a lot of the features available in iMovieHD. I may just upgrade to Final Cut Express. The shortcomings cause for some concern of what I might see in Leopard, but I'm sure Apple won't let us down twice.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jake_11 View Post
I may just upgrade to Final Cut Express.
That's what they're hoping, I'm sure.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That's what they're hoping, I'm sure.
That would certainly not explain why they released iMovie 06 as a free download.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2007, 01:18 PM

I'm very unhappy with the way they 'dumbed down' iMovie. I can see why Apple would like to simplify the app for beginners, but they did it at the expense of existing iMovie users. Why couldn't they just add a simpler front-end to the existing app for the beginner and leave the rest of the features alone. The timeline is gone as are many of the audio and video effects. I'd like to have the "scrub" feature, but it's not worth losing the other features to get it. I'd love to upgrade to iLife 08, but iMovie 07 (IMO) is a step in the wrong direction.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That would certainly not explain why they released iMovie 06 as a free download.
How many end-users know about that download, or even that iMovie used to have those features?

The MacNN crowd is not everyone.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 01:44 PM

HOnestly for me, using iMovie 06 wasn't too bad an experience, but I have never done any video editing in my entire life. COnsidering that, the 2 days I spent making a simple DVD to share with familiy of our new baby was a painstaking experience. I read the help guides, and scoured the internet and 2 days later .. honestly had a piece of junk of a DVD, but it was done at least.

I'm going to try and redo the project using iMovie 08, hopefully I end up with a better end product. For me, as a novice user (even calling myself novice when it comes to video is giving myself too much credit), based on the comments here, iMovie 08 is welcome.

On the same note, thus far I'm hating iPhoto 08, hopefully that experience isn't an indication of how iMovie will be.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 02:32 PM

alright iWeb wont open and crash immediately each time try to open it
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, it's not. Steve said that people don't use DVDs any more nowadays. They put their movies on their .Mac webgallery or YouTube. Both is supported by iMovie 08.
Ford: "No, there are no brakes in your new car, people don't like to use them. They like to use the accelerator"

MacDonalds: "No there are no nutrients in our food. People just want pure fat"

Boeing: "No there are no landing wheels on our planes. People just want to fly."

Hey there could be an entire new industry based around the "superior" lack of features found in products.

Computer industry: "No we don't have Macs. People just want to use Windows PCs. Because they left all the "useless" features in their products."
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by GuillaumeB View Post
alright iWeb wont open and crash immediately each time try to open it
There is some "domain" file in ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb

Double-click it, and that might fix it. (Worked on one of the demo units in our shop.)

PaperNotes
Aug 11, 2007, 03:34 AM

The new iDVD is so much slower at the same thing as the old iDVD 6. The apps take forever to launch on a PowerBook compared to iLife 06. iPhoto is the only app that works as fast as before.

For those angry about iPhoto export option, Apple wants developers to do all the work.

ADC Members can download the iPhoto 2008 SDK package which includes documentation and sample code on how to write iPhoto Export plug-ins supported by iPhoto '08. With step-by-step instructions, you'll learn how to make a simple file exporter plug-in using iPhoto's Export Plug-in API. This sample plug-in will allow users to set export image size, quality, and whether or not to embed metadata in the output image.

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 09:52 AM

I tend to be active in a few forums where it is common to post a message with an image or two in it. Over the past couple years I have built a large web page of my images with iWeb. When I wanted to post a picture in a forum thread I'd go to my web page and control-click on the image and choose "copy address" and paste that address in my message so that it would display my image in the message.

That is now broken in the new iWeb 02 world. In fact, all my prior forum posts are now filled with a large "X" or "?" where an image used to be. Apple has broken this link when they updated my website. Now if I try to control click on my web page image I don't get the copy image link address. Literally hundreds of my images have been taken off the web by this so called upgrade. Guess I will be looking for a different hosting site. I can no longer trust Apple for this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post
I tend to be active in a few forums where it is common to post a message with an image or two in it. Over the past couple years I have built a large web page of my images with iWeb. When I wanted to post a picture in a forum thread I'd go to my web page and control-click on the image and choose "copy address" and paste that address in my message so that it would display my image in the message.

That is now broken in the new iWeb 02 world. In fact, all my prior forum posts are now filled with a large "X" or "?" where an image used to be. Apple has broken this link when they updated my website. Now if I try to control click on my web page image I don't get the copy image link address. Literally hundreds of my images have been taken off the web by this so called upgrade. Guess I will be looking for a different hosting site. I can no longer trust Apple for this.
I don't mean to sound like a prick, but you've been paying for .Mac so that you can post silly comical forum pictures?

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Why phase them out at all? YouTube is not a valid replacement for DVD. It is not anywhere near the quality.

The list of missing features in iMovie 08 is amazing... I frankly don't see the advantage over Windows Movie Maker any more.
There it is! THAT'S why I'm not buying iLife '08 anymore. I couldn't put my finger on it, but yeah. They're offering a program that is slightly more stable and easy to use than Movie Maker, but I think, sadly, Movie Maker trumps it in features. At least Movie Maker has a furking timeline...

iMovie '06 is not a good "fix" either. I want a new, usable, iMovie.

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
iMovie '06 is not a good "fix" either. I want a new, usable, iMovie.
Wasn't iMovie 6 usable? Why isn't it a fix? You just want something new?

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 12:47 PM

Yes. I would assume that an update would mean a new version of iMovie that has improved some amount. While it may have improved newbs' video editing ease, it severely murdered it's place as a great piece of video editing software. IMO, they should continue developing iMovie HD as a prosumer option and ship it WITH iLIFE!

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 12:56 PM

I just wish they would add the option to export to the .Mac Web Gallery with iMovie 6, or maybe even an option in Quicktime Pro.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

PaperNotes
Aug 13, 2007, 12:58 PM

All I know is the new iDVD is slower on a G4 at doing the same thing as the last version and very unresponsive too. iWeb, iPhoto and Garageband are improved.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 01:40 PM

iDVD doesn't run any slower for me on my 1GHz G4 iMac. And I LOVE the new guides they added so you can align buttons and stuff! I never used Garageband much, so I didn't update this, but I do like iPhoto. Much easier to find things.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jake_11 View Post
I may just upgrade to Final Cut Express.
That is actually what my mom did this weekend. The learning curve is a bit steep, but she is finding that she has a ton more flexibility than before, and is really enjoying FCE.

The one thing I do have to say for Apple, is that they took my Mom, who had barely used a computer 3 years ago, to someone who is making 4-5 DVD slideshows a month for friends/family, and is about to start a business with it. For the most part, Apple has made the software get out of the way, and has allowed her to be creative, with little frustration. FCE definitely has taken this even further, but iMovie '08 was a HUGE step back for her.

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 02:28 PM

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but you've been paying for .Mac so that you can post silly comical forum pictures?
Well you do come of sounding like a prick,

Who said anything about silly comical forum pictures. I am active in several photography forums and a couple automotive detailing forums where a picture is literally worth a thousand words. Posting photos for review or using images for explaining a complicated series of events is very useful. Much more useful than your foolish comments on how I choose to spend my money.

PaperNotes
Aug 13, 2007, 02:32 PM

Who said anything about silly comical forum pictures. I am active in several photography forums and a couple automotive detailing forums where a picture is literally worth a thousand words. Posting photos for review or using images for explaining a complicated series of events is very useful. Much more useful than your foolish comments on how I choose to spend my money.
Just wait for him to tell you all photographers should use Linux

.mac gallery is going to be a good addition for showing your photos.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 02:49 PM

I'm sorry, I was out of line...

Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm sorry, I was out of line...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Just wait for him to tell you all photographers should use Linux

.mac gallery is going to be a good addition for showing your photos.

All photographers shouldn't use Linux, but Gallery is a very nice open source server-side photo gallery hosting system designed to run in Apache/PHP (traditionally a very Linux-centric sort of environment).

PaperNotes
Aug 13, 2007, 03:43 PM

All photographers shouldn't use Linux, but Gallery is a very nice open source server-side photo gallery hosting system designed to run in Apache/PHP (traditionally a very Linux-centric sort of environment).
There are tons of those around. Not impressed really with that one has much as some great javascript ones. The .mac gallery is the best I have seen using javascript and AJAX calls that I am considering joining .mac again. I just need a new camera first.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 03:46 PM

There are tons of those around. Not impressed really with that one has much as some great javascript ones. The .mac gallery is the best I have seen using javascript and AJAX calls that I am considering joining .mac again. I just need a new camera first.

If you are referring to effects such as Lightbox, they can be built into your theme. Gallery is not a tool that simply makes a gallery look pretty, but an organization tool that you can use to upload, caption, categorize, and manipulate your photos for the web. You can use it with iPhoto using the iPhoto2Gallery plug (as of the last version of iPhoto, don't know if it works with '08 yet)

PaperNotes
Aug 13, 2007, 03:53 PM

caption, categorize, and manipulate your photos for the web
There is no point doing that over the web with Gallery when it can be done better locally.

For semi-pro hobbyists and pro photographers .mac gallery and iPhoto win clearly over that solution and is well worth the cost at $8 a month including all other features such as high res videos that can be added to the .mac gallery too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 03:58 PM

There is no point doing that over the web with Gallery when it can be done better locally.

For semi-pro hobbyists and pro photographers .mac gallery and iPhoto win clearly over that solution and is well worth the cost at $8 a month including all other features such as high res videos that can be added to the .mac gallery too.

You can use the Gallery interface for organizing or captioning and all of that other stuff, or you could use iPhoto and send this info up to Gallery. The point is, Gallery provides a system for providing and hosting this metadata (just like the .Mac system does), and provides you with an interface for managing this data, for those that want to use this. Gallery also supports video as well.

If you want to run down a feature per feature comparison, I'd be willing to bet that Gallery would beat .Mac handily. You can do a ton of stuff with Gallery. Plus, not only does it match the .Mac offerings, but it also doesn't lock you in to a particular service.

If you have access to a server running Gallery (many hosting providers offer this), I see absolutely no reason to use .Mac. There are a ton of themes you can select from that are out there...
( Last edited by besson3c; Aug 13, 2007 at 04:08 PM. )

PaperNotes
Aug 13, 2007, 04:37 PM

If you want to run down a feature per feature comparison, I'd be willing to bet that Gallery would beat .Mac handily. You can do a ton of stuff with Gallery.
Please not another "I have a 1000 features and you have 100"

Plus, not only does it match the .Mac offerings, but it also doesn't lock you in to a particular service. If you have access to a server running Gallery (many hosting providers offer this), I see absolutely no reason to use .Mac. There are a ton of themes you can select from that are out there...
And it looks like crap compared to .mac gallery no matter what theme you choose. Apple are the only ones using javascript and AJAX calls as well as .mac gallery does and is tightly and beautifully integrated with an app that makes it all easy work. We don't need the big bloated feature list.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 04:44 PM

Please not another "I have a 1000 features and you have 100"

And it looks like crap compared to .mac gallery no matter what theme you choose. Apple are the only ones using javascript and AJAX calls as well as .mac gallery does and is tightly and beautifully integrated with an app that makes it all easy work. We don't need the big bloated feature list.

I was not intending to haul out a features list, I was making an incidental point. Like I said, you can hook in any Javascript hooks you want into your theme (including Lightbox), Gallery is open-ended in its usage this way. If you want to use some XML httprequest (AJAX), you can as well.

I take back what I said though. If you want Apple's photo gallery themes you have reason to go with .Mac. I was speaking only to the functionality offered by the software.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 05:29 PM

Another vote for Gallery, it really is nifty.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 06:10 PM

If you have access to a server running Gallery (many hosting providers offer this), I see absolutely no reason to use .Mac. There are a ton of themes you can select from that are out there...
The big difference I suppose, as so often, it that creating a .Mac web gallery with iPhoto takes literally TWO CLICKS.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The big difference I suppose, as so often, it that creating a .Mac web gallery with iPhoto takes literally TWO CLICKS.
Not to disregard your valid point, but just for your consideration, once the iPhoto2Gallery plug is installed and configured in iPhoto, it takes the same two or three clicks in iPhoto to publish to your gallery using the default theme.

But yes, .Mac gets points for being super easy.

blidd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2007, 03:30 PM

.mac Regarding iMovie I am rather looking forward to try this "dumped down" version. I like the Idea af just creating af videostory board which if you think about is acts as a timeline. I like the skimming function where you can fast forward or backward in the clip you have chosen and I can really se that this might speed up my editng. I like the fact that I can uploade the video I have created fast and easy to my .mac accout. It has after all 10GB.

If iMovie 08 helps me make 5 minuts movies fast and effeciently, then
I really do not care about the missing features. When I really wants to edit
with colorcorrection sound improvment and the hole shebang, then I use my Final Cut Studio

Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 03:38 PM

That's fine since you have and can afford Final Cut Studio. For me, I like Macs because their editing software until iLife '08 was far superior to Windows Movie Maker and other alternatives.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2007, 07:15 PM

So can I sum it up that iMovie ’08 is more a downgrade from a well usable video editing app what iMovie ’06 was towards a YouTube clip maker?

-

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
So can I sum it up that iMovie ’08 is more a downgrade from a well usable video editing app what iMovie ’06 was towards a YouTube clip maker?
I'd call it sort of a "sidegrade", since it's *way* better at doing what it does than iMovie 06 was, but yes.

If they'd "simply" re-add the timeline mode iMovie 06 had, I'd be a happy camper.

Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 08:03 PM

Yeah, I mean it looks great for making quick movies, but I need all the features of HD 6 PLUS the new stuff. Not just the new stuff.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2007, 11:33 PM

Works fine for me!

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 11:57 PM

The only problem I have run into was the gallery posting but that was quick resolved when I rant the update.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Teacher617
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Yeah, I mean it looks great for making quick movies, but I need all the features of HD 6 PLUS the new stuff. Not just the new stuff.
Agreed. It's beyond me why Apple seemed to forget that iMovie HD includes Magic iMovie, which is specifically designed to make videos quickly! Why not add a few cool features to THAT, along with the already-included feature set of iMovie HD, and call THAT iMovie 08? They did it with GarageBand - witness the new Magic GarageBand in iLife 08.

What they did just doesn't make sense.
Amazed by my 2.5 GHz, DP G5, with 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia 6800 Ultra video card, & 23 inch Apple display

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher617 View Post
Agreed. It's beyond me why Apple seemed to forget that iMovie HD includes Magic iMovie, which is specifically designed to make videos quickly! Why not add a few cool features to THAT, along with the already-included feature set of iMovie HD, and call THAT iMovie 08? They did it with GarageBand - witness the new Magic GarageBand in iLife 08.

What they did just doesn't make sense.
Like Steve Jobs said, they completely started over. I guess he wanted it to be a whole new (power hungrier too, I might add) animal.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 01:51 PM

Two things that i dont like about iPhoto 08...

why in full screen when you hover near the to of the screen do i see the menu bar..... just looks rubbish.

i created an event with no photos.... the only way i could find how to remove it was to merge it with another event!!!

Apart from that its awesome....
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules