Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tablet/Pen for Mac

Tablet/Pen for Mac
NDBounce
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 11:40 PM

My sister is looking for a pen type device that would allow her to take notes, as well as draw on images and powerpoint slides.

I am not certain if any of the Wacom devices or the i-Pen would work for this purpose. She is not so much looking to do OCR as she is to take a graphic, and jot notes on the image, and ditto with Power Point slides.

Does anyone know of such a device that will work on a G4 Powerbook?

Thanks,

O
B unce!

matteo_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 05:46 AM

try having a look at http://www.wacom-europe.com/bamboo/ - seems to get pretty good reviews and is not going to break the bank... Not sure if it's available in the US?

tavin64
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2007, 11:47 AM

My wife has a wacom too. Forget which model but it works great on OSX

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2007, 05:43 PM

I am trying to find software that will allow her to annotate powerpoint presentations and save the annotations.

Do you know of software that will allow her to do that?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2007, 05:46 PM

You mean other than notes for each slide? That's the only way I know of to annotate PPTs, and it's built into PowerPoint (both Mac and Windows versions).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 02:22 PM

Yes. I am looking for something that will basically allow her to draw on the powerpoint as if it were paper. Not the presenters notes.

She is in med school, and wants to annotate things that are on different (medical) slides.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2007, 06:02 PM

I haven't seen any software that can do this (the tablet is not the issue, as you suspected). You can use Apple's built-in Ink technology but it's clunky. If you try scribbling text, it will automatically recognize your handwriting (poorly, too) so you have to use graphics mode and write on the Inkpad. That will insert your scribble as a graphic into your PPT slide. Not quite what you were looking for, but it works.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 13, 2007, 04:04 AM

You need OmniDazzle:

Basically choose a shortcut/command set you wont use within a pres (or similar) then hit the keys and start drawing, creating effects, etc. (I use the buttons on my Wacom pen, so during a pres I've got everything I need on my tablet.)

[edit] I just realised you want the notes to stay... my bad.

Drew
Aug 15, 2007, 04:35 PM

Wacom tablets work great with OS X. I have the low-end Graphire tablet, and it's really good.

-Q-
Aug 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

As ghporter says, the ability to annotate things is built directly into PowerPoint. The problem being, you can't save the notes (although I do believe the Windows version of PowerPoint allows for this in the most recent version).

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Aug 17, 2007, 02:15 PM

Yes, but unfortunately the ability to save the annotations is what I really need. Does Keynote have this feature?

Forum Links
Forum Rules