Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1 iPhone + 1 normal phone = how much?

1 iPhone + 1 normal phone = how much?
kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 11:45 PM

My friend wants to get an iPhone plus one regular phone on an ATT family plan. He wants the 1400 minute plan. From ATT it looks like it is $110=$90+$20 (for iPhone): http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...hone-plans.jsp

From the Apple site it looks like it is only $100: http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Anyone have this setup and able to shed some light on it?

thanks,
kman

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 03:10 AM

Its just an advertising quirk. Technically, Cingular family plans are a base price for the minutes and an additional $9.99 each for additional phones. So, the 1400 minute iPhone family plan is technically $100 + $9.99 for the second phone. I call this a quirk in advertising because Cingular always advertises the price with 2 phones (which makes sense because you always have to have a minimum of 2 phones to constitute a family plan in the first place). 3rd party vendors of Cingular phones (Apple, and Bellsouth come to mind) seem to always advertise the base cost of one phone only (ignoring the fact that, well, a 2nd phone is basically a requirement for a family plan so any plan will will cost at LEAST $9.99 more to purchase)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 03:10 AM

Here's my suggestion. Get a regular ATT family plan. For the line that'll be upgraded to an iPhone, just get whatever's free. Then go buy an iPhone and upgrade that line. Easier and your friend'll also have a backup phone that he can plug his SIM card into if, say, his iPhone's in for some repair if needed.

Then, your friend would be paying about $90 per month (we have three lines, two iPhone and 1 regular, we upgraded two lines and added a third, and we're paying about $110 per month).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

tavin64
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2007, 10:46 AM

My wife and I have a family plan with 1 iphone and 1 regular phone w/ 900 minutes and she has the upgraded 1500 txt msgs and our bill comes to around $110 per month also.

Forum Links
Forum Rules