Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Papal Twitter account decreed to offer 'indulgences' for followers

Papal Twitter account decreed to offer 'indulgences' for followers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 17, 2013, 05:14 PM

The Vatican is modernizing an old tradition on Twitter. Followers of the Papal Twitter account are being offered "indulgences," thereby reducing the amount of time Catholics believe they will have to spend in Purgatory after absolution of sin. Attendance to the upcoming Rio World Youth Day is normally required for such special dispensation, but those following the "rites and pious exercises" of the event through television, radio and social media will be granted the indulgence.

"You can't obtain indulgences like getting a coffee from a vending machine," Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, head of the pontifical council for social communication, told the Italian daily Corriere della Sera. The indulgence requires the awardee to have previously confessed and be "truly penitent and contrite."

"What really counts is that the tweets the Pope sends from Brazil or the photos of the Catholic World Youth Day that go up on Pinterest produce authentic spiritual fruit in the hearts of everyone," said Celli. Praying while following the event starting on July 22 must be carried out with "requisite devotion."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 18, 2013 at 04:35 AM. )

elroth
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2013, 07:09 PM

I think I'll stick with ice cream for my "indulgence."

WiseWeasel
Jul 17, 2013, 07:24 PM

In other news, the Pope has decreed that every retweet of an Onion joke shall henceforth prolong purgatory by 20 minutes.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

mp1963
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2013, 02:21 AM

Does this "indulgence" service extend to Catholic priests who have behaved themselves by abusing minors ?

mp1963
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mp1963 View Post
Does this "indulgence" service extend to Catholic priests who have behaved themselves by abusing minors ?
Oooops.. my mistake.. of course I mean "have NOT behaved themselves" ....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2013, 04:28 AM

I read this as "Paypal Twitter account".
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules