Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac-specific Netscape 4.7.6 changes

Mac-specific Netscape 4.7.6 changes
MacNN Staff
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2000, 02:00 AM

Organization: Netscape Communications, Inc.
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:12:23 -0700
To: MacNN et al.

Folks,

For the curious here's the list of major changes in the Mac version of Communicator 4.76:

- Technology preview (i.e. functionality is there but it is officially unsupported) for using Apple's Mac OS Runtime for Java (MRJ) instead of the Netscape JVM for Java Applets using the <APPLET> tag. This feature is enabled from the "Use Java Plug-in" pref in Communicator's Advanced prefs pane. You'll need the MRJ Plugin from <http://www.mozilla.org/oji/MRJPlugin.html> and MRJ itself. Note that an updated version of the MRJ plugin is due to be posted in > a few days.

- The Personal Toolbar on the Mac is now capable of displaying folders and subfolders. Editing the contents of the folders in the Personal Toolbar must be done from the Bookmarks editing window.

- Changing the name of the startup partition or system folder no longer requires the user to manually find their profile folder(s).

- Doing an address book lookup with only a local address book no longer causes > a perpetually spinning beachball cursor.

- Clicking on an image which is a link and contains target="_top" and links to another image no longer crashes.

- JavaScript <TEXTAREA> now recognizees multi-byte (e.g. Japanese) character input.

- Obsolete helper app settings for MPEG, AVI, ZIP and GZIP files have been removed from the default Netscape preferences and these types now refer to QuickTime or StuffIt Expander as appropriate.

- Fixed problem with clicking on the New Message button in an Address Book window not honoring the user selected default character set.

- Fixed problem with inactive text fields improperly grabbing key events (e.g. using the arrow keys to scroll a page would stop working if a text field happened to scroll under the mouse cursor).

- The command-click shortcut to open a link in a new window no longer applies to javascript: links.

- Fixed problems with tables in <BLOCKQUOTE> tags not laying out correctly.

- The JavaScript recursion limit for the Mac has been raised to 65 iterations before an error is reported (it was lowered to 49 iterations in 4.74 to eliminate a crash but that turned out to be too low for some apps).

- Flash Player 5 is included in the Communicator 4.76 Mac installation.

- Beatnik 2.0.5.2 is included in the Communicator 4.76 Mac installation.

Steve

--

Steve Dagley
Member of the Technical Staff, Netscape Communications
Macintosh Perfusionist
(All opinions expressed are my own yada yada yada...)

Oct 25, 2000, 11:05 AM

Regarding this statement, "Note that an updated version of the MRJ plugin is due to be posted in > a few days."

MRJ Plug-in 1.0b1 appears to have been posted 10/25, or 10/24. Is he referring to 1.0b1, or a newer subsequent version?

-Andrew Laurence
UC Irvine
[email protected]

Steve Dagley
Oct 25, 2000, 01:52 PM

1.0b1 is the new version of the plugin I was expecting - it just got posted sooner than I expected.

WiseWeasel
Oct 25, 2000, 02:35 PM

Netscape 4.76 is very unstable as well. You said it would bring stability, but I've crash8ed many times with it. It seems to have serious problems with Real Player 8, causing a hard freeze, requiring the computer to be reset (no force quit possible). This will happen on many streaming real player files, as well as on some sites with popup windows. This version is a far cry from improved stability. It seems to launch faster and behave more responsively, but that second part might be my imagination.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

Forum Links
Forum Rules