Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Source for OS 6 > 9.1 RETAIL and diagnostic Cd's?

Source for OS 6 > 9.1 RETAIL and diagnostic Cd's?
raferx
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 08:46 PM

Does anybody know if there is a "one stop shop" for older retail 6.x > 9.1.x OS and diagnostic cds? Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
raferx

jasonyates
Dec 2, 2002, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by raferx:
Does anybody know if there is a "one stop shop" for older retail 6.x > 9.1.x OS and diagnostic cds? Thanks in advance!
Well, I'm pretty sure System 6 didn't ship on CD. Beyond that, as far as I can tell you are pretty much on your own with eBay for finding older system CDs. None of the resale shops seem to have older system software right now. There are a lot of copies of 8, 8.5 and 9 going on eBay right now though.

Additionally, you can download 6.0.8 and 7.5.5 from ftp.apple.com. Apple's FTP site also has a bunch of utilities and other miscellaneous software available. OWC (eshop.macsales.com) does have a bundle with an older version of OS X and a copy of 9.1 plus updaters for both systems. That is about 75 bucks I think.

-Jason

raferx  (op)
Senior User
Dec 2, 2002, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by jasonyates:

Well, I'm pretty sure System 6 didn't ship on CD. Beyond that, as far as I can tell you are pretty much on your own with eBay for finding older system CDs. None of the resale shops seem to have older system software right now. There are a lot of copies of 8, 8.5 and 9 going on eBay right now though.

Additionally, you can download 6.0.8 and 7.5.5 from ftp.apple.com. Apple's FTP site also has a bunch of utilities and other miscellaneous software available. OWC (eshop.macsales.com) does have a bundle with an older version of OS X and a copy of 9.1 plus updaters for both systems. That is about 75 bucks I think.

-Jason
6 was on floppy ; ) I was hoping that there was an old mac OS source out there somewhere! Oh well, thanks for the tip Jason, I appreciate it!
Cheers,
raferx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 01:00 PM

You can download system 7 from Apple too (don't have the link).
As for the others, 7.6, 8.0/.1, 8.5/.6, 9.0./.1/.2 must be purchased. You cannot get them legally for free. Look on ebay.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jasonyates
Dec 2, 2002, 06:07 PM

If you know an Apple-authorized tech or sales center there is a quarterly or maybe annual set of CDs that Apple sends them which includes installers for basicly all the systems, as well as a bunch of other stuff like SoftRAID, Apple Works, basicly most of the stuff that ever shipped with Macintoshes.

These sets are probably hard to find, as well as illegal for a regular individual to use, but I thought I would mention it since they do have almost all of the system software which is what you were looking for.

-Jason

raferx  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 04:48 AM

That's very cool info Jason, thanks a lot! I know a few legit "techs", I'll make some calls. Otherwise ebay here I come!
Cheers,
raferx

Forum Links
Forum Rules