Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" rev b fan always on

PB 12" rev b fan always on
Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 01:32 PM

I have this since upgrading to 10.3.3

The laptop is running very hot and the fan is making noise all the time.

Using TemperatureX I have found that the fan goes on not because of the CPU but when the HD temperature reaches 46�C or about 115F. This temperature is reached quickly even with almost nothing running. After that the fan stays on and on. Activity monitor reveals nothing special, 25-65% CPU usage.

Thinking that it might be the hard drive I ran sudo fs_usage and noticed that the drive writes about 30-60 things every second! Most things are called CACHE_HIT by the process Windowserver. Why would the file system write that often to presumably a log file?

If I use Wuartz Debug (dev tool) to shut off Quartz Extreme the extreme disk writing stops. I don't know yet if this will reduce the working temperature and fan noise.

Am I the only one with a fan running amock?

I am keeping the PB on a wooden surface and I don't have any external gadget or special modifications. Just the plain PB 12" rev b with 768 MB RAM.

happyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 02:20 PM

I would say report it to apple. Ask if you should bring it in. Although maybe you should try to ensure your settings didn't change from OS 10.2.8 to 10.3.3 or what ever that might have caused this. Any PRAM reset recently?

Me�vv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 10:04 AM

Beleive me when I say that I have tried all sorts of settings in Energy Saver, but I have generally left it on "Automatic".
I have zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU.
Last night I made an experiment and set the sleep settings to never. And then I quit all the running apps (cpu usage accorning to Activity monitor was about 10-25%). Then I went to bed.
7 hours later the fan was still running. The temperature had been constant on all four sensors (used ThermographX).

Any clues?

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 12:49 PM

Where did you use your Powerbook and how is the airflow? Have you tried propping the back up for cooling? And one last thing you can try to is to delete all the plists associated with energy settings, boot into open firmware, and reset everything to default. Good luck!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules