Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can't boot off utility disk

can't boot off utility disk
sylwester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 11:57 AM

I have an old imac running os 9.2.2 w/ a dvd rom drive that refuses to startup off a utility cd such as norton or disk warrior. It will however start up off a os install cd. I've salvaged this cpu from an extensions mess, wouldn't start up at all even w/ shift key w/out bomb error, and now I just want to check everything, defragment etc etc. am I missing an extension or preference?
thanks

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 03:42 PM

Which is more recent, the iMac or the utilizty CDs? If the iMac came out after the utility CDs it might not be able to boot from them.
Have you considered making another boot CD and trying that? You know the system software from the restore CD works, so you could use that, and copy the utilities from their respective CDs onto the new startup CD. You could put them both on one CD too. Check for any extensions that these programs have installed in the system folder of the CD they are on. Those will need to be in the new system folder on the CD you make.

purplenerple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 02:01 PM

Had the same problem, upgraded norton, works like a charm.
You can't make a silk purse out
of sow's ear.

sylwester  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 09:53 AM

that was exactly the problem,
ended up running norton off a network disk after starting up from os 9 cd, need to update our utilities.
thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules