Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good or Bad 15 inch PB???

View Poll Results: Do you have a flawless one?
Poll Options:
YES! 42 votes (80.77%)
NO and it sucks! 10 votes (19.23%)
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Good or Bad 15 inch PB???
hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 10:41 PM

hey all,

YES for if you have a flawless new 15in AL book...

NO if you have a piece of crap with white-spots, crashing, and other abnormalities..

I'm really interested in the overall scope of these problems... lets see if the problems are truly a small percentage or a large percentage.

that is all.

macxtal
Sep 30, 2003, 10:51 PM

I ordered mine the day of the keynote; It is flawless, just like I suspect the large majority of them are.

The new design is very smart RE heat dispersal. It gets warm playing DVDs, but no wind tunnel. I suspect the heat dispersion is a big reason behind the screen latch mechanism. Look at all the vent space.

hseikaly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 11:03 PM

i've noticed that the current ratio is 60% good, 40% bad... if you go to the other poll about the white spots, its also 60/40...

i don't know if there is a direct relationship between these two polls, but I just found it interesting... hopefully, it doesn't stay 60/40, because that just seems like a really poor ratio of good vs bad machines..

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hmm. I'd like to say flawless because the screen is perfect. But, there is a small gap when its closed and the gap is larger on the right side.
( Last edited by InterfaceGuy; Oct 2, 2003 at 11:50 AM. )

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 10:55 AM

I voted no it sucks for a number of reasons.
I now have a 4th white spot showing up on my 15 inch pb monitor. The battery life with 10.2.7 is 1.5-2 hours if I AM LUCKY with light usage. Harddrive ticks from time to time.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 11:10 AM

Well, mine is perfect ... in fact, it promises to be the finest machine I've ever had in 20 years of computer ownership.

As has been said here many times: the people without problems are far less likely to be posting on these boards than the people who are having difficulties ... so the results of this poll are going to be pretty skewed, I'm afraid. I have no doubt that the vast, vast majority of these machines are just fine.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Well, mine is perfect ... in fact, it promises to be the finest machine I've ever had in 20 years of computer ownership.

As has been said here many times: the people without problems are far less likely to be posting on these boards than the people who are having difficulties ... so the results of this poll are going to be pretty skewed, I'm afraid. I have no doubt that the vast, vast majority of these machines are just fine.
Whats your battery life?

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 11:12 AM

First thing I did was fully charge the battery and then unplug from the wall to let it drain to calibrate. From the first full charge with brightness on 100%, it said 1:45. I did some browsing and MP3s with iTunes and it went to sleep when it said it would. I've not used it on battery since calibrating. I don't mind carrying an extra battery but it would be nice if it would at least last long enough to finish a movie without going to sleep on me.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
Whats your battery life?
I haven't done a formal test yet -- the PB is plugged in much of the time -- but based on watching the battery indicator, I'm guessing about 2.5 to 3 hours.

I'll give the battery life a test today, and get back to you with some results in a few hours.

hseikaly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 02:07 PM

i finally got mine yesterday and I was hoping that there were no problems... but luckily I got a flawless one... no white spots or dead pixels... the latch works and stays shut, but there is still a little gap...

what i have noticed is that it can get pretty damn hot on the bottom of the machine, towards the rear of the machine... and it gets really hot on the screen hinge itself..... but the wristpad just gets warm...

all in all, a gorgeous machine... the backlit keyboard really rocks, as i sit in the fairly dark rooms anyway...

thanks for all the responses by the way, looks like a lot of people got working machines, which is good news!

omegahack
Oct 2, 2003, 02:11 PM

i voted bad, but now i got my new good one and i vote good now. That first shipment sucked ass i think. Now they are all good.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 03:24 PM

I voted bad... until a few minutes ago my vote was good.

But I got the infamous white spots, and they seem to GROWING.

I am a bit mad, and know that Apple will deal with it, but I cannot be without a computer for several days as I am in university.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 03:31 PM

Mine is perfect, and I love it!

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 08:03 PM

For battery life. I'm getting an average of 2 hours and 45 min. Not bad, but I wish it was better, hopefully panther will extend battery life on this machine. I was used to 3.5 to 4 hours on the PB 12" I had. But it does have a bigger screen so that's somewhat understandable. And I keep it plugged in most of the time because I am very battery frugal anyway, still....
('')

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 02:48 AM

First one bad (white spots, higher heat, battery didn't close as it should have). Second one great, perfect screen, battery and case perfectly aligned, runs 10F cooler everywhere (measured with ThermographX). It's a keeper now!

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2003, 04:03 AM

I get over 2 hours (about 2.15) listening to music while surfing with safari and copying some stuff from my cd's, with full brightness, airport on, bluetooth on and highest performance power setting.

That's not bad at all! I'm using 10.2.7.
With panther I probably will get over 3 hours with the same settings!

pgolf
Oct 3, 2003, 11:07 AM

no hinge prob, no white spots, everything is perfect! My only gripe is the battery life. i get a bit under 2 hrs. using auto settings and Bluetooth off; far cry from my previous portable (iBook 800-combo).

Forum Links
Forum Rules