Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help!!! Powerbook won't boot!!

Help!!! Powerbook won't boot!!
hseikaly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2004, 11:15 PM

Hey all, I think I have a major issue... i was working on my powerbook last friday... all was well until all of sudden, while i was working on it, every thing started beach balling. Like every app I switch too beach balls...

So knowing how thing tend to all of a sudden beach ball, I let it sit for a while hoping it would work itself out. I waited ten minute and nothing changed, so I decided to restart the machine...

It wont' boot up anymore. Basically I get to the grey screen with the apple... but no animation or anyting appears. It sits there indefinitely. It will not boot up in safe mode... will not boot up in verbose mode or single user. I can boot it up with my panther CD and go to disk utility, but it just sits there saying "Gathering disk information" forever...

when I use the same disk to try and do a reinstall, it does something very weird... When I get to the install menu where you go through the steps to start the install (choose a language, continue, etc.) it refuses to bring the menu to the foreground... so basically you can't continue because you can't bring the menu forward to hit continue. and no matter what i click or press, it doesn't move.

So anyways, I'm probably going to bring it to the apple store and probably have it sent in. The question I pose is does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should troubleshoot or any suggestions on what might be happening?

I'm assuming its either a broken drive, a broken drive controller, OS corruption... but its a brand new 15 inch AL and it four months old... i have never had a 4 month old machine fail like this. I quite possibly have lost a whole load of stuff that I would like to keep.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have....

coolmacdude
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 12:30 AM

Have you tried resetting the PRAM and/or the NVRAM? That has fixed boot issues for me in the past.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

hseikaly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried the resetting of the PRAM and NVRAM, but it still gives the inanimate grey screen...

PeterKG
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 01:05 AM

Have you installed ram in your machine? Maybe it has gone bad. You should try removing the ram to see if it helps.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

hseikaly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 01:09 AM

Hi, its the stock 512 megs of ram... I haven't touched the configuration... thanks again for the suggestion..

Forum Links
Forum Rules