Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tried out new iPod 4G. Didn't like it.

Tried out new iPod 4G. Didn't like it.
LoganCharles
Banned
Aug 3, 2004, 05:18 PM

Felt cheap and the screen while brighter than my 2G has a purple haze to it. I'm not crazy about the belly button aesthetic either.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 05:29 PM

Were you able to look at and use more than one iPod?
Is this a problem for all of the 4G iPods?
Just how did the iPod feel cheap??

The reason for all my questions is I'm thinking of buying a new iPod.

rastatero
Aug 3, 2004, 05:32 PM

If you are looking to buy a new 4G iPod, I would certainly recommend that you visit your local Apple Store or CompUSA in order to try one out yourself. Initially I was not very fond of the new look, but after purchasing it the new look has really grown on me and I find it much more functinoal than the previous versions. Definately test drive the iPod yourself before deciding anyinthg. -- Tony

sworthy
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

it may take a little time to get used to, but once you use the click wheel, it's hard to use the 3G buttons again. Just play around with it for a while, I'd say the vast minority of people dislike it.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 06:58 PM

I don't know why people feel the 4g ipod is cheap, it is just like apple going back to basic. How many of you still have the first generation? it is by far, still the best ipod version that has ever released because of the larger scroll wheel. The 4g ipod's click wheel has the same dimension of the 3g ipod but it is actually useable when the ipod is in your pocket, since you can just feel the wheel and the button.

I kind of understand why people like the 3g ipod, i admit that it is the best looking version, especially the light-up buttons, which is really cool. But i don't like to show off my ipod and when i put it in my pocket, it is just too sensitive to press the wrong button.

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 08:41 PM

Bought a brand new 3G & 4G the other day, there is no difference in one feeling "cheaper" then the other. I thought the 3G looked cooler than the 4G originally, but the click wheel soon makes alot of sense.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 08:58 PM

Err, My 4G is just fine thanks. And doesn't feel in anyway cheap. if i have any gripes at all, i'd say it looks a bit bland and is far too easily scratched. but other than that, it's bloody great
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

vixi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 09:00 PM

I'm a big fan of the 4g. I really love the click wheel, it just has a very natural feel to it. I guess to each his/her own. The person who suggest going to an apple store (or anyplace that sells ipods, and has one you can play with).. and choosing for yourself.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 10:13 PM

I love my 4G iPod...I really like the design,build quality and useability. Works allot better than the 3G I had.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 10:28 PM

I think that the 4G looks more professional, and is definitely easier to use.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 10:41 PM

You wont see it much in your pocket.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 11:05 PM

My only complaint is the grey color. It looks like an inverted silver mini. yeck.

Maybe easing us into the grey metallic age of apple product coloring?
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Dimitri
Aug 3, 2004, 11:46 PM

I love my new 4G 40GB iPod. Have a 3G 30GB one also. The 4G is slightly thinner and easier to use and navigate I think. It had a more purplish tint to it the first several hours of use but now the screen looks about the same bright white that my 3G shows. Odd.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 01:30 AM

I love the Click-Wheel. Playing with a 4th Gen. in the Apple Store made me want to buy one, even though there's nothing wrong with my 3rd Gen. iPod.

A concern I have, looking at the iPod minis though is about the Click-Wheel. It looks as if the markings for Menu, Play, F>Fwd and Rwd are just painted onto the wheel. What will these look like after a year or two of hard use? To adjust the volume or move up and down in menus, your thumb goes right over those painted marks.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I love the Click-Wheel. Playing with a 4th Gen. in the Apple Store made me want to buy one, even though there's nothing wrong with my 3rd Gen. iPod.

A concern I have, looking at the iPod minis though is about the Click-Wheel. It looks as if the markings for Menu, Play, F>Fwd and Rwd are just painted onto the wheel. What will these look like after a year or two of hard use? To adjust the volume or move up and down in menus, your thumb goes right over those painted marks.
I believe theres a layer of plastic over the icons.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 10:17 AM

I doubt many people who really like the idea of iPods will dislike the 4th gen. iPod. This thing is built outstandingly, it's small, and I could only imagine people not liking the click wheel if they're used to something else. Use the click wheel for a few days and I think anyone could agree it's a wonderful invention.

This is my first iPod, but it is absolutely amazing, i love it. I'm listening to more music than before.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 11:57 AM

I"m really blown away by the battery life in the 4G, my 3G was terrible from the day I bought it!

Now, when do we gt to know its inner secrets???

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 12:14 PM

i have loved the click wheel ever since I played with the mini
iamwhor3hay

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 09:11 PM

I just got my first iPod, a 4G 20 GB and I love the click wheel. I've used a 3G iPod a little bit, but this setup just feels right.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 11:43 PM

I have a 2G model and while wanting more capacity, had never considered a 3G because of the position of the controls. Apple really has me wanting a 4G now that they've reverted to the more logical 3-6-9-12 click controls.

I wonder what LoganCharles means by the "belly button aesthetic" that he doesn't like.

Chulo
Aug 6, 2004, 01:16 AM

I just received my 4th gen iPod (20 gig). It's the 1st one I've owned and can't compare it to a previously owned one since I've only played with one that my friend owns. I must say the 3rd gen ipod DEFINITELY looks better! The lit up buttons look awesome and is just more appealing.
I think that once you get used to the single click wheel it grows on you as far as use but aestetically the 3rd gen has it beat. The gray wheel takes wawy some of the appeal from it but getting the extra battery life is a major plus (which I can't vouch for since I only received it today and haven't tested it yet).

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 01:36 AM

I have a 2g ipod myself, and still like it for a few reasons:

1. The 3g ipod was kinda cool, but the button placement was just awkward
2. The 4g is also cool, but I don't care for the scroll wheel. The implementation is better but the white select button looks funky..

I'd like a retro version O_O it could be the same depth with the new features but keep the classic scroll wheel -- hrm maybe better yet apple could make it optional the button module -- 2g, 3g, or 4. That'd rawk.

The grey wheel does look stupid, btw.
Aloha

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 01:46 AM

To me, looks are less important than function. To be able to operate the iPod by touch, say when it's in your pocket, is the most important function. If it looks good too, that's just a bonus.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 01:58 AM

I could do that with my 2g.. what's so special about that?
Aloha

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 09:00 AM

Are the buttons on the 4G's clickwheel backlit?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Are the buttons on the 4G's clickwheel backlit?
if they were, that would be awesome. but i don't think they are. i played around with one and tried to get the clickwheel backlit but i couldn't find a way.
iamwhor3hay

Dimitri
Aug 6, 2004, 01:22 PM

The white select button is a lot more functional than the 3G's select 'touch' button, which I often didn't register the 'click' or clicked twice. 4G is a lot more easily controlled through a pocket than 3G was also.

The scroll wheel is not backlit, but the button placement is so logical you'll never need to look at it anyway. Maybe it saves a little battery life also.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by LoganCharles:
Felt cheap and the screen while brighter than my 2G has a purple haze to it. I'm not crazy about the belly button aesthetic either.
I've got Purple Haze in my iPod, too. Are you experienced?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

incubusdaemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 12:29 AM

i just bought a 4g ipod. I really like it and it's easily 10x better than my creative nomad zen.

I do have 2 gripes: 1-the wheel has a matte finish when everything else is glossy. That makes the wheel feel just a bit cheaper, but it does give it a lot better tactile response. 2-I like the way the buttons respond, but did they have to have them make noise too? If I wanted the iPod itself to make noise, I'd turn on the internal speaker's click. The buttons don't need to also click.

Other than those 2 things, and me constantly overshooting my mark when i'm scrolling (i'm new at this), it's great!

Chulo
Aug 8, 2004, 11:50 PM

Well now that I've had my iPod a couple of days I can say that I've gotten used to it. Although I still prefer the 3rd gen look and feel I can definitely say the one click wheel feels more natural and easier to use. I would still prefer the touch sensor type of feel than the clicking on the 4th gen but what can you do. It really is an awesome piece of machinery (IMHO the 3rd gen was an awesome piece of art).

Forum Links
Forum Rules