Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel Panic and USB Storage

Kernel Panic and USB Storage
rastatero
Aug 5, 2004, 08:55 PM

Tonight, I recieved my first ever kernel panic in OS X. I plugged in my old 2.5" hard drive from an IBM T40 housed inside a 2.5" USB2 external enclosure. Initially, all the partitions were mounted and I was browsing the directories just fine. I was quite impressed at the moment, until I tried to do a search in finder for a document on the external drive. The search seemed to be occuring, so I decided to open another finder window to look at something else. Then it happened... The notorious black window showing several foreign languages instructed me to reset the computer. Upon resetting my iBook, I am now unable to use the external hard drive any longer. System Preferences sees my Hi-Speed USB Hub, but when my hard drive is connected it is not deteced. It is neither displayed under the disk utility. Does anyone have any advise on getting this to work again?

EDIT: I just finished recompiling my Gentoo kernel on another computer to support USB mass storage devices, my drive was detected and is working. I am currently backing up the needed documents, but I would still like to know how to resolve the issues with my iBook.

--Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Aug 5, 2004 at 09:36 PM. )

rastatero  (op)
Aug 7, 2004, 09:02 AM

bump? anyone?

rastatero  (op)
Aug 9, 2004, 11:14 AM

last bump, last hope...

Forum Links
Forum Rules