Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Paint peeling on new powerbook???

Paint peeling on new powerbook???
Bleekerstreets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 03:21 PM

the paint underneath the down arrow key is peeling off of my brand new 15" aluminum powerbook! What can I do? will apple take care of this?

I thought they solved the paint chipping problem???

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2004, 05:23 PM

Uh...there's no paint on the Aluminum Powerbooks. Do you have a picture?

Steve

Bleekerstreets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 08:29 PM

yeah, thats what i thought...

i do have a pick...

its a horrible pic i took with my camera phone...

but the paint is literally peeling off

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2004, 08:55 PM

You're right, that is a terrible picture. But did you get the machine like that or did something spill on it? I've never seen anything like that before.

Steve

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 08:59 PM

HOLY FREAKIN CRAP

I have a near identical problem, right under my page down key too! Virtually the exact same problem as the topic creator. Its as if its slowly peeling away.

I wish I knew what todo...

Bleekerstreets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 10:52 PM

no, i bought the computer brand new in august...and i keep it clean and protected with my screensaver from radtech...the powerbook is my baby...i treat it like one too...

this area of the pbook is obviously painted...do you think apple will fix this for me (us, apparently)???

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2004, 01:59 PM

That didn't really answer my question. Are you saying that it was fine when you got it, but now it has worn down like that? Do you notice anything or feel anything when you are using the down arrow key? It just doesn't make any sense. And I'll repeat: there is no paint on the case of the aluminum Powerbooks.

Steve

Bleekerstreets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 03:09 PM

dude, dont tell me that there is no paint on the aluminum powerbooks...BECAUSE THERE IS PAINT ON THE ALUMINUM POWERBOOKS. As I said, I bought the book brand new, meaning no chipping paint. as of yesterday, the area underneith my down arrow key began to bubble up and peel off...now there is a half inch shiny mark underneith the key. my roomate has a 5mp digicam...ill see if i can borrow it...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 05:34 PM

No... There is no paint. That isn't to say that you are lying, though. Maybe the anodized layer of the aluminum is peeling off for some reason, making it look like paint.

Bleekerstreets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 06:41 PM

why would the anodized layer of my pbook be peeling off? do you think it could have something to do with the heat generated by the pbook?

and this really look like paint...a few more bubbled flakes came off this morning...

ill try to post a good pic by later on tonight...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 06:55 PM

That's really weird. I know that the keys are painted. I didn't know anodized aluminum peeled off like that Hopefully this isn't a wide spread issue...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 07:26 PM

maybe its just that strip between the keys and the palm-rests. Maybe its painted plastic. there is no way that the aluminum would peel. but that strip is not connected to the palm-rests.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

Bleekerstreets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2004, 08:39 PM

yes, just that strip is peeling...but i dont think that part is plastic...because now that the coating is peeling off, its very shiney...like a disposable aluminum pan.

Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 11:12 PM

it is paint. I tried scratching more w/ my fingernail, and it started flaking off, just like paint would.

honestly, I think this is one of those things we will have to deal with...just like the TIbook owner's and their paint peeling problems...*sigh*

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Oct 21, 2004, 05:22 PM

wow... does apple say there is no paint? come to think of it, i dont think they have. now that im more aware of the problem, i noticed that it doesnt really conduct heat either.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2004, 05:31 PM

I would take it to an Apple store ASAP at least to have it looked at and to get it on record. Who knows, they may swap you out for a new one. I have never heard of that anomaly before.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 11:35 PM

this has just started happening on my 12" pb, in the EXACT same spot

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 12:42 AM

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2004, 01:35 AM

20 bucks? holy ****, screw that

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2004, 06:54 AM

I am looking at the strip between the handrest and the keyboard. I can see very few people have a problem with it is because this strip is recessed and in most cases will never be touched by the user. When I had my 15" Ti Powerbook I used to use car detailing tape which was trimmed with an exacto knife after it was applied on the Powerbook.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

Believe it or not it looked very good, but because I handled the powerbook in the paint chipped areas eventually the tape came off. The strip in the photo on this thread would probably be a good candidate for such an application because it is never touched. Great care must be taken when using the exacto knife however and I assume no responsibility for my advice. Once your Powerbook is scratched by the knife it is scratched. If the width of the tape is correct you may not even need an exacto knife, or you could even pre cut the tape before application. I am sure they have silver colored detailing tape and if you don't want to haggle with Apple I am just throwing this idea out there.
Touch up paints never worked for me.
Good luck.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2004, 06:57 PM

i'm glad my Protouch PB covers that area

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules