Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" 1GHz case squeaks

12" 1GHz case squeaks
motoyen
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2004, 05:08 PM

When I am typing the part of the case that rests under my left hand squeks. Does anyone else's iBook do this?

armandocerna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 07:26 PM

Yes, I've noticed this too, I think that is where the hard drive is and there is a little gap of space right there so the case gives a little in that one point. Just turn on some music and you will never notice it =)

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2004, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by motoyen:
When I am typing the part of the case that rests under my left hand squeks. Does anyone else's iBook do this?
Mine does too. All the Dual USBs I've had (500MHz, 700MHz, 1GHz) have began to squeak within months. Does not matter, though

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2004, 07:16 PM

Yup, same with my G4 800. Still the build quality is much better than any Dell laptop I have handled.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

rastatero
Nov 24, 2004, 11:42 PM

I have just noticed that my 12" 1GHz iBook (purchased in July 2004) has just begun to squeak, when my any amount of pressure is applied to the left wrist rest. Has anyone sought a solution to this problem? The squeaking is tolerable, but I wouldn't mind too much if it didn't squeak neither. -- Tony

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2004, 11:40 AM

Yep,mine too.
On the other side of the case in front where the battery is,there are several screws holding that side tight,but on the left side the case halves are just held by clips.
The clips just have some play and the plastic doesn't help keep it tight either.
This is one reason the Aluminum PB seems like the machine for me.
It seems kind of silly maybe but the ALuminum PB just feels like a more solid machine.So much so that I may trade battery life and wireless reception for it.

eHoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2004, 02:30 PM

Actually on my 500, if I press down on the back left corner, it kills the display.

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Mine does too. All the Dual USBs I've had (500MHz, 700MHz, 1GHz) have began to squeak within months. Does not matter, though

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2004, 02:46 PM

I have never heard mine squeek after I read this I tried to make it squeek and I had to apply alot of pressure to do so. It does not squeek when I use it normally.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules