Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I've made a terrible mistake! HELP? Maxtor External

I've made a terrible mistake! HELP? Maxtor External
Kathleen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 04:24 PM

Let me start by saying that I am not really very knowledgeable re: computers. The only computer I own is a 1GHz PowerBook 15" Ti G4 with 1GB SDRAM.

I am one who did not twirl open the instructions prior to downloading 10.3.7. The previous OS was 10.3.6

I had a Maxtor 5000XT with the 911 chipset attached which crashed during this download.

I quickly ordered the OS X Troubleshooting Manual and as a result used Disk Warrior which seems to have renamed all of my files.

I am now trying Data Rescue:

I started Data Rescue on January 31, 2005 and it is still running today February 3, 2005.

Is it supposed to take this long?

I was checking their FAQ and ran across this!

Data Rescue found the files I'm looking for but when I recovered them they were corrupt or wouldn't open. What can I do?

More than likely the files were already corrupted on the drive you scanned. We see this on drives that were initialized or files that were deleted through the trash. There is nothing Data Rescue can do to repair these files.

I am fairly sure that I clicked initialize when the Maxtor would not mount!

Any advise on how to proceed at this point would be much appreciated!

Thank You!

Kathleen

brickcam
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hi, your description is a little confusing.

If you initialized the drive when you were having problems, that would have erased the entire drive, and all of its contents.

Otherwise, if your data are still on there, no it shouldn't take 3 days to run a diagnostic/repair. You might have to give up. Consider multiple backup systems in the future, re-initialize the drive, and it ought to work as before.

Try using the drive with a DIFFERENT computer before doing anything drastic. Who says the problem is in the drive?
Cameron

Kathleen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 05:43 PM

Well, this may be good news! Data Rescue shows 112,150 files. So perhaps I did not initialize it after all? Again, I am not very knowledgeable about computers so I am hoping some of you can help me figure this out. I finally just force quit the operation and am currently printing the OS X Troubleshooting Manual written by a Dr. Smoke. I am hoping to learn how to manage my Mac and correct this issue. Thanks for your reply. I probably don't know enough to ask the correct question.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 05:52 PM

Well, it's tough to not know enough to diagnose the issue. Consider taking your sick drive to someone who DOES know more; a friend or colleague perhaps. Connect it to their computer and see what they see.

good luck.
Cameron

Kathleen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 07:30 PM

Thanks! I'm driving 400 miles tomorrow to the closest Genius Bar. I called and they won't hold a place in line but I plan on being there as soon as they open! Let us hope that this matter can be repaired! I hope I learn something from this!

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 02:50 AM

wow, 400 miles. Hopefully someone from that Genius Bar is reading this and feels pitty on you and let you get head of the line or a free be. So where a bright neon colored shirt and shorts and flip flops.. u will stand out! lol wish ya good luck tho with your findings!

Kathleen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 08:59 PM

Well .... it is now buried on a closet shelf with dust cover. A temporary morgue of sorts. I fully admit lack of knowledge. I look forward to learning more about Macs and Backing Up differently so that I may prevent this issue from occurring again. Any assistance or direction in layman's english, links, books, etc ... would be most appreciated! I look forward to taking even better pictures for this year! Learning to manage them *BETTER* is on the top of my list! Thanks for any help that you can offer. I am sad but I'll survive! Hopefully, someday, I can afford a recovery service to retrieve these photos!

brickcam
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 11:01 PM

The easiest way to back up your machine is with burning cds with your data, but for more data, I use an external drive, and just copy over my critical files once a week. I'm sure you can find more info on this if you would like. It's a must.
Cameron

Kathleen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 08:06 AM

Well, I was backing up my new pictures to a CD as well as 2 new external hard drives. The CD is now stuck in my PowerBook. Seems as though I've had a streak of misfortune strike all at once these days. I tired holding down the mouse as stated in the Apple Help Section. I've also tried resetting PRAM & NVRAM. So .... I suppose it is time to send it in. This has been almost too much. I've ordered a new computer to use while the PowerBook goes in for repairs. At least in the future I have a bit more knowledge on how to maintain them. Live and learn and boy have I learned the hard way.

Is it safe to use the PowerBook with a CD stuck in it while I am waiting for my new computer? Every now and then is makes a churning noise but it does not appear on my desktop or anywhere else and it will not eject. Thanks!

brickcam
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 01:18 PM

Yes it is safe.
Cameron

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 02:31 PM

You're Kathleen from the Nikonians forum?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Kathleen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 03:56 PM

Yes, that's me! Thanks for showing me this place. I have been reading and learning a bit each morning. I ordered an iMac to use while my PowerBook gets repaired. It's been a rough winter for me. I always try and remember that it could be worse.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 06:19 AM

Great. Welcome to MacNN. Most (if not all) of your Mac question can be answered here. Good luck with your hard drive and let's hope this problem interferes with your future.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules