Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How Much Power?

How Much Power?
bedoughty
Apr 14, 2005, 09:34 AM

I just switched from a 1.67 Ghz 17" powerbook to a 1.5 Ghz 12" powerbook. I purchased an extra 65W adapter when I owned the 17", but this 12" only needs 45W. I don't understand power and current too well, so my question is: can I use this extra 65W adapter with the 12", or should I somehow aquire a 45W? Thanks all.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 09:59 AM

I think you can use either. As it is today on the Apple site both the ibooks and powerbooks come with 65W adapters, but my ibook came with a 45W. It seems you can use either, but if you are really worried call Apple, or ask in one of their stores.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 14, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bedoughty
I just switched from a 1.67 Ghz 17" powerbook to a 1.5 Ghz 12" powerbook. I purchased an extra 65W adapter when I owned the 17", but this 12" only needs 45W. I don't understand power and current too well, so my question is: can I use this extra 65W adapter with the 12", or should I somehow aquire a 45W? Thanks all.
You can indeed use both. Both supply 12 Volts (thats important).

The 65 Watt adapter can deliver a higher current (and thus may load you battery faster). But it delivers the current only on request. So you need not fear that a higher current runs through your powerbook. Only your battery charger might ask for more current and gets it from the more powerful adapter. The rest of the electronics will be supplied with the same current as before.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2005, 05:18 PM

I used the 65w with my 12inch for around 1 year with no problems.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

ibook_steve
Apr 14, 2005, 06:16 PM

Using an adaptor with a higher power rating does not cause any problems. The only thing mentioned here that is incorrect is that the machine probably won't take advantage of the extra power available to it since it is designed to work with the 45 W adaptor. So your battery probably won't charge any faster.

Steve

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 15, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Using an adaptor with a higher power rating does not cause any problems. The only thing mentioned here that is incorrect is that the machine probably won't take advantage of the extra power available to it since it is designed to work with the 45 W adaptor. So your battery probably won't charge any faster.

Steve
You might be right.
I did not want to say that the battery WILL charge faster. It depends on the logic of the poweradapter and the charger. Indeed it is most likely that the 65W adapter will work exactly as the 45W adapter.

bedoughty  (op)
Apr 15, 2005, 03:14 AM

thanks all! Now I don't have to try and ebay an adapter and spend more money. Much appreciated.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Forum Links
Forum Rules