Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recover data from erased but mostly not-overwritten external

Recover data from erased but mostly not-overwritten external
bedoughty
May 22, 2005, 01:02 AM

Long story short: I have an external 250 GB drive on which I had about 140 GB of ALL my backup files. The drive was accidentally erased, (but mostly not overwritten) and Panther was installed on it - but that's all I did with it. As soon as I realized this mistake I ejected the drive and now I'm trying to figure out a course of action.

I need to recover any and everything I can from the drive that was there before the wipe. Are there any *nix tools or freewares I can use for this? I'd like to avoid paying for recovery if possible. BTW: I'm running Tiger on an iMac G5.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 10:00 AM

There's a program called "Data Rescue," but it isn't free. I had to use it once when a similar thing happened, and it got the job done. I think you can demo it (but only retreive a limited number of files without paying). Check versiontracker.com

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2005, 10:42 AM

If you erased and installed Panther on it, you've hosed a *bunch* of your data.

As others have said, you can try Data Rescue. A better option would be to send it to someone like DriveSavers, but you're likely looking a lot of money to get it back.

Wade

Forum Links
Forum Rules