Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IR On MBP

IR On MBP
irow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 11:56 AM

Yes, another dumb n00b question from a new switcher

I just got my hands on my new MBP 2.0 yesterday and am loving live so far ......I've just one problem, my IR/remote doesn't appear to be working.

Following the manual, I attempted to pair the IR with the laptop, I never get the verification that it's paired so I dug a little deeper. Wanting to make sure it didn't come with the IR port disabled by default I (again, following the manual) went into system prefs -> security and looked for "Disable remote control infrared reciever" as stated in the manual......I have NO such option enabled, disabled or otherwise....The remote doesn't appear to function in any way, shape or form

Any ideas?? Or am I missing something blatently obvious (most likely)?

irow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 03:20 PM

On this same note, could someone else with a MBP check the system profiler and see if there's a IR device listed under USB devices (or otherwise)?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 03:32 PM

My iMac CD (which is basically the same as the MBP in many ways), has IR Reciever listed under USB devices in system profiler. if you do not have this, then there is something that is malfunctioning
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 03:39 PM

Just like the iMac, on my MBP I also have an IR Receiver listed as one of my USB devices in System Profiler. Call apple or take it into a store... sounds like something isn't quite connected inside.

irow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 04:20 PM

Certainly sounds like something's awry with the hardware then ....I just got my hands on an iMac as well (Fedex just got here) and everything's just peachy with it......

Figures, no dead pixels, no whine, no airport issues and of all things the IR ports flakey

Thanks for the replies!

irow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 04:21 PM

Doublepost ...My bad

irow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 11:18 PM

Well, they agree it's a hardware issue, so 'tis on it's way back to apple for repair ...thanks again for the info!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 07:21 AM

Repair? I had a bad HD in my 1st Core Duo iMac, and I told them I would not let them repair a 1 week old machine, so they just sent another one. I would not put up with a repair, but thats just me...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Repair? I had a bad HD in my 1st Core Duo iMac, and I told them I would not let them repair a 1 week old machine, so they just sent another one. I would not put up with a repair, but thats just me...
I like your way of thinking!

irow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 10:12 PM

I really don't WANT a replacement unit at this point, mine is quiet as a mouse, has zero dead pixels and no other issues that I've so far been able to find (though the screen doesn't close quite flush, but appears to be common and definatly not a deal killer) ......I'm more worried at this point that I'll end up with a whiner or dead pixels if I try to have it swapped out....

Forum Links
Forum Rules