Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook order status thread

iBook order status thread (Page 3)
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 18, 2001, 01:47 PM

oooh! I've got the 100th post in this thread! wuhoo!

Hey...don't say a thing. This is how I pass time waiting for my 'book.

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

tbuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 02:42 PM

Hey all,

Ordered from the Apple education site late on the 16th, it's being assembled now, so I'm expecting it at the end of the month. =( *sigh*

On a side note, anyone know of any places to get a 256MB stick for the iBook?
tbuh

VitalMax
May 18, 2001, 02:46 PM

I got mine from Mac Mall and it was pretty cheep. So something to think about.... some others might know a cheaper place.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 18, 2001, 03:07 PM

On a side note, anyone know of any places to get a 256MB stick for the iBook?
Try www.ramseeker.com for prices. I went with Other World for about $87 and, while of course I haven't been able to INSTALL it yet their service was great -- ordered it on Sunday and for $4.37 it was here Tuesday morning.

It's a little bitty thing, hope it works!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Duoboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by VitalMax:
My CTO 20gig/192mb/combo is shipping from Apple store on Tuesday.... Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Whooo Hooo. Anyways, that makes it the 22nd day after I ordered, pretty close to the 3 of the 3 to 5 weeks quote. Cheers to apple!!!!!!
================================
J. Francis
Cool for you! What date did you order? I placed mine 2 May. Did you talk to someone at Apple or did you receive an e-mail on this?

Good luck with your new ibook!

Kevin Spengel
Wheaton, IL

Kilbey
Baninated
May 18, 2001, 03:38 PM

I ordered a DVD iBook from Macmall using the MBNA credit program (yes, I know "big rip off interest rate", but you pay for a Master's degree and a new computer in the same year on teacher's pay.) I got tired of calling everyday and hearing the same line "sometime around the end of the month". I cancelled the order and went with a Pismo 400 with additional 256 RAM. Am I glad I did. The price was $300 more than the DVD iBook, but this is one awesome computer.

I am now wondering how many other people have gotten tired of the waiting and bought something else? Maybe this was Apple's way of emptying out the supply channel of older iBooks and Powerbooks.

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Kilbey (edited 05-18-2001).]

jtt
May 18, 2001, 04:13 PM

According to ClubMac's website, they have the base model in stock.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2001, 05:00 PM

I just spoke with ClubMac. I ordered a CDRW. They said a shipment of 50 was arriving Monday and more on Tuesday. He said I should have it at the end of the week? I'll see. He was supposed to be checking on CDRW availability.

freebird
May 18, 2001, 06:20 PM

I just called Outpost and was told that they are expecting a shipment early next week. They don't know how many, but they expect more than just a few measly iBooks.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
May 18, 2001, 06:24 PM

Called Outpost today and the rep said they are expecting a shipment on the 22nd. Didn't say how many though, and she repeatedly mentioned that there were no gaurantees. Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Matt

prodigy1387
May 18, 2001, 06:43 PM

Call Macmall yet again today, they are expect a shipment at the "end of the month." i ask "could that be next week?" they reply "possibly." I get the same answers all the time. Although, i do hear of a mass shipment of iBooks on the 22nd of may because of the apple plan of only shipping after an X amount of orders have been placed. hopefully that is correct so I can confirm my shipment next week!

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2001, 07:35 PM

Well the statement that Apple will only ship iBooks when an X number of orders might apply to the big resellers, (ie. MacMall, Outpost etc.) but the Apple store has indeed been shipping some iBooks, My iBook (DVD Base model) shipped yesterday and should arrive at my house on Monday...

So Apple has been shipping iBooks, I dont know how they do it but some iBooks have defiently shipped before the rumored May 22 ship date... My iBook is currently somwhere in Alaska so obiusly that statement is not entirely correct.

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

tbuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 05:30 AM

Update! My iBook is on its way! After just a 50 hour turnaround, I hope my experience will put at ease the worries of those ordering from the Apple Store and those making educational orders (mine was both!). I hope you all have similar speed in assembly/shipping.

------------------
tbuh
tbuh

PS Nystrom
May 19, 2001, 11:09 AM

My DVD iBook (no extras) was shipped today. I ordered it from the Apple Education store on the 15th, so you can imagine my surprise. Also, I can confirm rumors that Apple is upgrading ground shipping to FedEx for free.

Can anyone tell me what the time difference is between PST and Taiwan, because technically my order hasn't even shipped yet because of the time change.

Pieter

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 11:15 AM

Ordered a stock CD-RW on the 1st...still waiting...still haven't been billed. June, here I come

still being assembled
May 19, 2001, 11:37 AM

someone said---------Although, i do hear of a mass shipment of iBooks on the 22nd of may because of the apple plan of only shipping after an X amount of orders have been placed. ---------

i don't see why apple would do that due to the high level of demand right now! but, perhaps the phrase "an X amount of orders" might not be too far off, if you believe o'gradies power page,

"� WWDC begins Monday, 21 May 2001 in San Jose, CA with a Fireside chat with Steve Jobs. Jobs will use the opportunity to hype up Mac OS X to developers and announce that Apple will be shipping all Macs with Mac OS X pre-installed on the hard drive. The Macs will still boot into Mac OS 9 first, but OS X will be a choice in the startup disk control panel. You heard it here first."

DVD/20/128 Educational on 5.3.01

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 12:16 PM

Well, my iBook is at a FedEx Location in Boston... I am so impatient and I cannot wait until it gets delivered on Monday, so I am going to go pick it up right now!!! Here is hoping they will give it to me....... anyway off To FedEx I go........

------------------
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

rmansfield
May 19, 2001, 12:26 PM

I ordered my combo with 256 RAM and 20GB hd on May 17 through the education store. It is being assembled.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 12:51 PM

ordered Combo 5-10 NO status change in order. (from Apple via Phone)

tbuh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 02:01 PM

I forgot to mention that my Book is a stock DVD model. Now I'm looking for a case and that memory, though I think I'll try Other World now. Do I really need to go to Sears to get the screwdriver to open up the RAM shield? Thanks.

------------------
tbuh
tbuh

pcp
May 19, 2001, 02:20 PM

i've placed an order for combo on the first and for some reason
apple cancelled my order for IBOOK 500/WHT/128/10G/DVD-CDRW/LL
and replaced with IBOOK 500/128/10G/DVD-CDRW-USA
last night. do you guys know what this means?? i don't get it

brooklynjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 03:12 PM

Ordered my iBook (CD-ROM) on May 1. Perhaps the May 22 rumor isn't quite accurate, but then again who knows.
MacMall website says today, "Now shipping" and "Get your order in now, we have started to receive a limited supply. We are filling iBook orders throughout the next few weeks."

paddington6
May 19, 2001, 03:40 PM

Hey pcp,
the same thing happened to me. on the status page, the ibook order has been cancelled, and underneath re-orderd under a different reference number. it also happened last night.
something weird also, my credit card has been debited already 2 days ago, but I have not received any email or anything. Do you guys know if usually it is a sign that shipping is really close when the credit card is debited.
combo/128/10 ordered on the 2nd

wild9
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 04:09 PM

Yeah, this is a bit wierd....

Mine was also "cancelled" then filled with some non-White, USA model, I guess..... why the change? What's so different? My card was also charged last friday and the Apple rep told me that it was a good sign that my computer (COMBO- STOCK) was going out soon.

*Fingers Crossed*

---------
"bipto" : GREAT SITE, MN boy!
Go Twins!
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

hotani
Senior User
May 19, 2001, 04:19 PM

ACK!!! mine moved from "being assembled" to "Being reviewed"!!! I'm going backwards here!! I will immediately cancel my order if a local retailer gets a DVD in stock before the one from apple ships...

------------------
iBook (dual USB) DVD 384 (awaiting shipment)

Darwin 1.3/OS X 10.0.1/OS 9.1
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

sanford
May 19, 2001, 04:25 PM

I can only speculate why your orders cancelled and then were automatically re-ordered, but if you'll notice, all three of you reporting this event have ordered a combo drive model. Maybe it has something to do with Apple changing its inventory description or other inventory system info for the combo models.

And, regarding your credits cards: I suspect the cards weren't actually charged, which most retailers don't do until your order actually shipped, but rather the total cost of your order was just suspended or frozen out of your total credit line. Meaning your order is likely almost ready to go and they want to confirm payment and not end up getting an over limit rejection as your order goes out the door. So, it probably is good news on the shipping front!

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 05:33 PM

Well, the whole order cancelling thing happened because the DVD drives in these machines need to be set up for a specific country I guess, like DVD region codes and such....

Your credit card doesn't get charged it gets authorized.. But if you must know my card got authorized the night before my iBook shipped so its definetily a good sign....... By the way the iBook is really cool..... Is a bit slippery but cool indeed... I love it!!!!!!

------------------

ateez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 05:52 PM

anyone order and receive the ibook w/combo drive from apple
store?

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 05:59 PM

For all those who want to return to a simpler, cleaner, more manageable MacNN, it is time to take action! We must boycott this site for a week so as to significantly decrease its traffic. Do not visit this site for the following business week (Mon-Fri)! This will send a clear message that we want a change so badly we are willing to abandon MacNN to make it happen.

We can all still chat in the forums of your second favorite Mac site.

See http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002934.html for more

The MacNN Boycott begins Monday! Who's in?
It's the devil's way now.

PS Nystrom
May 19, 2001, 06:37 PM

Yes! My iBook is in Alaska! I can almost taste it! Too bad I won't get any sleep for the next couple of nights...

Pieter

Fontosaurus
May 19, 2001, 11:22 PM

So on 5/2, I ordered the following setup:
DVD/20GB/256MB/Airport

The extra battery arrived Friday via FedEx. The iBook itself hasn't shipped yet. I've had to amuse myself by pushing the button on the battery and watching the LED indicator for the charge light up halfway.

*sigh*

Steve Lo Vullo
May 20, 2001, 03:06 AM

What sucks is . . I was prefectly willing to wait 3 to 5 weeks for it .. until all these bastards starting having iBooks sent to them . . it seems that a lot of people order them on 5/7 . . and had them shipped by the 9th . . not just on the forum but on many others across the web. Oh well.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I ordered my combo drive on the 2nd, and wouldn't mind the wait so much except for the fact that many others who ordered after me have received theirs already. One explanation I have heard is that the more basic models (CD, DVD, CDRW) are shipping before the combo drive. Screw that! We who paid the big bucks should get ours first!

PS Nystrom
May 20, 2001, 01:16 PM

Right on! My iBook is now ~70 miles away. Looks like I'll have mine six days after ordering! I couldn't be happier!

Pieter

paddington6
May 20, 2001, 03:21 PM

I am really mad. 3 days ago the amount of the ibook had been taken out of my line of credit (not actually debited), so, i assumed that shipping was near.BUT, I realized today that they put the amount back on the available credit line. I am desperate now. How long is this gonna last. Plus knowing that people got them yesterday (combo model) at the apple retail stores makes me really pi***d. I am leaving the country in 9 days. I am running out of patience. Did this happen to somebody else? let me know.
DVD/CD-RW/128/10

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 03:40 PM

Paddington6,
This also happened to me. I ordered a BTO iBook w/ DVD and 20 GB hard drive on May 1. By May 2, my credit card had been authorized (but not charged) for the purchase amount, with the amount of the iBook listed as a pending charge. Then around May 10, the pending charge was gone (as if the authorization had been cancelled). Then two days ago, the pending charge was back. I'm hoping this means my iBook will ship soon, but I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile, it's pissing me off that vendors are getting iBooks before me. Oh well...

Jug-dish

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 20, 2001, 03:54 PM

Meanwhile, it's pissing me off that vendors are getting iBooks before me. Oh well...
No kidding. And while I can appreciate their new retail store needs to have inventory, it kind of pissed me off to read that people there were able to go home with ibooks 19 days after I ordered mine (and have yet to see it.).

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

prodigy1387
May 20, 2001, 04:33 PM

if my iBook does not ship May 22nd, I am going to the reseller in Sarasota and picking up the same DVD iBook because they are expecting some on Monday. MacMall better get a move on, I am getting mad hearing all these people getting their iBooks already.

tswan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 05:33 PM

This is absolutely my last order with the Apple Store. I ordered the dvd model on May 3rd with the assurance that the Apple Store was first-come-first-served. I've now read posts from several people that ordered the same thing after me and have already received theirs.

I also could have picked one up the other day at a local store, but was assured by a rep at the Apple Store that mine was scheduled for shipping in a "couple of days." That was four days ago.

And, finally, they seemed to have adequate iBooks on hand for the store opening in VA.

I feel like I'm last in line and it pisses me off.

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 06:59 PM

I ordered my ibook on the 6th, but I also ordered the college promo thing so my order status is stuck on Partially shipped. I got ibook 500/DVD/256/20. but I have been enjoying my new Rio 600 though. You know, I kinda wish that apple would have stuck with some colors, but its still a very cool design! and the apple logo glows too so I don't have to do the mod myself!

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacojohnellenich (edited 05-20-2001).]

RiscIt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by tacojohnellenich:
I ordered my ibook on the 6th, but I also ordered the college promo thing so my order status is stuck on Partially shipped. I got ibook 500/DVD/256/30. but I have been enjoying my new Rio 600 though.
Wasn't that a good deal? I got the whole thing for my fiance, but I've claimed the rio as my own. It was hard as a geek to get someone else a better computer than my own, I needed some kind of toy to play with! =)

now if only it would SHIP already!

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 08:25 PM

I know, I love the Rio, I only wish it could fit more music. Using iTunes can you use WMA? Because I can fit an hour with WMA vs. 30 min. in MP3 or is there another format that I can use?
Also I am trying to get my signature to have a little logo that I have made, but its not exactly working, how?

------------------

RiscIt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by tacojohnellenich:
I know, I love the Rio, I only wish it could fit more music. Using iTunes can you use WMA? Because I can fit an hour with WMA vs. 30 min. in MP3 or is there another format that I can use?
Also I am trying to get my signature to have a little logo that I have made, but its not exactly working, how?
This doesn't belong in this thread, so I'll keep it short -

WMA - try it and find out. I'm not sure iTunes will let you ad WMA to a playlist tho.

sig pic - your image is hosted on geocities. Get a real host that allows remote image snagging. =)

ink
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 08:53 PM

Mine finally shipped yesterday (Saturday the 19th). I ordered the DVD stock model on May 1st with an AV cable (which isn't shipping just yet).

Biscuit-like substance
May 20, 2001, 09:38 PM

Ordered my iBook DVD on May 8 from SmallDog, and I'm still waiting. Kind of disappointed (especially after reading that someone who ordered AFTER me has already received their 'Book), but somehow I've lived without one most of my life...I guess I'll just soldier on until it does arrive. We all have our crosses to bear.

bikinijack
May 20, 2001, 10:50 PM

I ordered my iBook 192MB memory,20 GB HD, CDRW on May 2. It still has not shipped although I got the Applecare plan already.

RiscIt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by bikinijack:
It still has not shipped although I got the Applecare plan already.
I hope they will not start counting down the days of the plan until it does ship.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2001, 12:15 PM

Bump! not yet order date 5-10 combo but I can wait

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2001, 04:40 PM

Woo-hoo! ClubMac now lists the CD-RW and DVD versions as "in stock"!!

Please, oh please, let my DVD be one of them...

EDIT: Oops, I mean of course the CD-ROM version...

[This message has been edited by BrunoBruin (edited 05-21-2001).]
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 04:44 PM

ClubMac lists the CD-ROM and DVD version as in stock, but not the CD-RW...

Chris123456
May 21, 2001, 05:35 PM

Just got off the phone with clubmac, my just ordered DVD model will ship tonight.

Called up MacZone (ordered on 5/1) to cancel and my order was in the warehouse. Put a stop shipment on it, so hopefully I won't get two tomorrow.

Looks like apples big 5/22 shipment is a few days early.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules