Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office Suite comparisons, experiences

Office Suite comparisons, experiences
kman42
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 09:32 PM

With Office 2004 in the wild, I was considering upgrading but I ran into a major problem. Entourage doesn't sync between computers and I use a desktop and a portable frequently. Since Entourage has most of the advances I was looking for, I am holding back. But the release of Office 2004 got me thinking about office suites in general. I know koffice has made some strides. Is OO dead?

Does koffice let you sync between multiple computers? I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with non-MS office suites.

kman

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
With Office 2004 in the wild, I was considering upgrading but I ran into a major problem. Entourage doesn't sync between computers and I use a desktop and a portable frequently. Since Entourage has most of the advances I was looking for, I am holding back. But the release of Office 2004 got me thinking about office suites in general. I know koffice has made some strides. Is OO dead?

Does koffice let you sync between multiple computers? I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with non-MS office suites.

kman
I do Not have the answer for u but i'm also keen to hear the peoples views on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on, let us hear it!?
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 01:35 PM

kman
Sync what? Contacts? Or email? Use IMAP for the latter.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 05:34 PM

Calendars and contacts.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 09:30 PM

Is there any hope that we'll have a useful opensource groupware solution integrated into OSX? I ran across this at the kde site:

http://www.kontact.org/groupwareservers.php

kman

erage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 03:31 PM

You can sync contacts an calendar events using Entourage 2004. Just set up a project, share it to a file server that both computers can access, and associate and share the items you want to share with that project.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 04:21 PM

Is OO dead?
No. OO.o 1.1.1 is available through X11, and NeoOffice/J gives you OO.o 1.0.3 in a double-clickable, X11-independent app.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by erage:
You can sync contacts an calendar events using Entourage 2004. Just set up a project, share it to a file server that both computers can access, and associate and share the items you want to share with that project.
Could you say a bit more about this? I'm considering buying Office 2004 and this feature would tip me over the edge. Could I use my iDisk as the file server? Could my wife and I share certain groups of contacts (like family) that we could both edit?

kman

erage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 01:32 PM

It might be easier if you download the test drive and try it out for yourself. It will work using an iDisk as the shared data server, though I imagine perf might be a bit slow.

After it's installed, read the help topics on Project Center, especially the Sharing one.

LandRover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 01:48 PM

For Kman42

There is a problem with sharing a shared project to iDisk but there is a workaround. Here is the workaround:

Panther users -- To subscribe to the project, use the Finder to mount the iDisk Public folder where the shared project resides (Go->iDisk->Other User's Public Folder...) and then in Entourage, select File->Subscribe to a Project... and select the path to the Archive.rge on the iDisk.
Jaguar -- From Apple's Help: "If you're using Mac OS X version...10.2, choose Go > Connect To Server and type http://idisk.mac.com/membername-Public (where "membername" is the person's .Mac member name). If the Public folder is protected with a password, type "public" in the username field and type the Public folder password in the password field." Then in Entourage, select File->Subscribe to a project..., and navigate to the Archive.rge on the iDisk Public folder.
�There is no habit you will value so much as
that of walking far without fatigue.�
- Thomas Jefferson 1785

Forum Links
Forum Rules