Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Importing Mpeg's into Imovie2 Problems

Importing Mpeg's into Imovie2 Problems
mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2001, 06:23 PM

I am a new MAC user, and I am having trouble importing my 15 sec mpeg clips into imovie2. I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P1which can take pics and 5 to 15 sec mini mpeg movie clips. I then try to use a Sony memory stick PC Card, and then when I go to import the movies (which show up as qt movies) it says that it cannot import, and that is skipping it. Any idea on what I need to do to import them? I do not want to connect the camera to my pb via usb unless I absolutely have to. I would prefer to use the PC Card.
Thanks

------------------
Peace,
Brad
bradperkins.net

doug young
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2001, 07:42 PM

I don't think imovie can import anything other than a dv stream.
Try opening it in quicktime player
if it opens you can save to dvstream (if you have quicktime pro)
Import should then work (you have to select dvstream as the file type)

although i am not even sure you should be able to see the file in the import dialog (imovie 2.0)

------------------
I used to belong to a three ring circus.
Yeah, Me and two other ar5eholes!

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2001, 10:15 PM

k. I will try that. I will have to get the QT Pro first. But that sounds good. Thanks so much.

------------------
Peace,
Brad
bradperkins.net

doug young
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 03:37 AM

You won't regret getting qtpro.
it's useful for a tankload of things. When you've found your feet check out the quicktime section of the apple site.
http://developer.apple.com/quicktime...meintro/tools/
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/tutorials/
http://www.apple.com/applescript/qta...revscr.sea.hqx

------------------
I used to belong to a three ring circus.
Yeah, Me and two other ar5eholes!

[This message has been edited by doug young (edited 03-18-2001).]

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2001, 01:01 PM

Thanks so much for the QT links Doug. I highly doubt I will regret getting the pro version.

------------------
Peace,
Brad
bradperkins.net

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 05:42 PM

unfortunately QT Pro wont do the job you're looking for. yes, it will save the mpeg clip in DV format, but it wont save the sound. there is a program called Sparkle that allows you to manipulate the audio and video portions and then manually synch them but the process looked too daunting so i just stopped looking for a quick mac solution. what i did find was something called Camel's Mpeg Join that works on the pc i have at work - real basic freeware that lets you stich together as many clips as you have but with none of the imovie type features. Ulead also makes some imovie type software for the pc that is suppose to allow you to edit mpegs but after i downloaded the trail version i wasnt able to get it to work. i too went crazy taking small mpeg shots with my sony s50 and now i have a zip disk full of 15 clips with no way of truly editing them. if you find a quick and sure solution please do post it. you'll find dozens of mpeg editors for the pc but almost none (affordable - before some says media cleaner 5) for the mac

mbperk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2001, 06:54 PM

Well, I am having a bit of trouble learning how to save as DV format. But i have just began playing with it. Any Ideas? And I wish I would have checked out QT pro first. Now I have it, but I am sure it will come in handy for some other things. So there is now way to manage the clips huh? I will keep looking too. If you find something let me know, and I will do the same.

------------------
Peace,
Brad
bradperkins.net

doug young
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2001, 04:55 AM

unfortunately QT Pro wont do the job you're looking for. yes, it will save the mpeg clip in DV format, but it wont save the sound.
I assume that is an mpeg issue, muxing???

I remember having a problem where I couldn't open an mpeg because I didn't have the codec, or so my mac claimed.
I used a PC freeware app, I think 'mpeg to avi', under virtual pc.
The sound was intact afterwards, but I did not need or try to edit this in imovie, only export to quicktime.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 11:24 PM

The MPEG or any other Quicktime Movie codec format needs to be exported in QTPro as a "Movie to DV STREAM" NOT as a Quicktime movie using the DV codec. Audio (set in options)must be two channel 48khz rather than the four-channel 32khz default. iMovie only recognises the one type of audio. Unless amongst all my stuff, I actually have the appropriate MPEG codec, I've never had a problem like you describe Antonio.

One thing, the framesize must be 720x480 (NTSC) for DV, I'm not sure if the Sony .mpgs aren't 640x480. If they aren't the right size, all kinds of weirdness can ensue, and lots of wasted time.

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2001, 10:04 PM

hi Feathers

i tried your suggestion but was unable to get sound once i opened up the dv file in iMovie or back in QT Pro. are you working with mpeg1 clips? i was so hopeful that it would work - i'll try it again, come to think of it i'm using QT 5 preview3 but keyed with my 4.1 Pro key - what QT version are you usuing, perhaps something got modified out? and it seems to be a muxing issue doug (sorry, i havent visted this part of the board since i sold the camera)

Forum Links
Forum Rules