Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > another streaming question

another streaming question
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 07:26 PM

I have everything set up so that I can connect to my streaming server (QTTS), but the problem is that no one from the outside can. I have a netgear router that shares the connection between two computers. Both computers internally can connect, but none from the outside. My IP address is 192.168.0.3 which someone told me is for internal networks, hence the reason no one from the outside can "see" the stream.

My question is..obviously..how do I set it up so that outside people can connect to my stream?
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 7, 2003, 08:03 PM

You have to find out what IP number your ISP is assigning you. You can find that in your router settings. It probibly changes all the time also so your listners are not going to get a kick out of it.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 08:27 PM

Okay, I've checked my routers settings and I have found the IP address that is labelled as the internet port. I'm assuming that is the one that I am looking for, but now how do I access the stream with that IP address? QTTS is still set for the internal IP address.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

SPiNdustrious
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 03:38 AM

I have never run a server behind a router with private IP addresses, but it is my understanding that you will need to configure your router to direct QTSS traffic sent to it to 192.168.0.3 or whatever the private IP of the streaming server is by setting up port forwarding.

Requests from the outside sent to the router on ports 554, 1220, 7070, 8000 and 8001 (the ports QTSS uses...) need to be directed to the server otherwise they will just be stopped.

My NetGear wireless router can work with DynDNS.org and other dynamic DNS services. If yours has this feature, use it to give your streaming server an unchanging host name (something.dyndns.org, etc....) that will consistently point to your dynamic IP address.

Keep in mind that many ISPs don't allow you to run servers in your service agreement. If yours doesn't, you may run the risk of being terminated if they find out. I would put access restrictions on the streams to limit their distribution to authorized users only. This will limit the bandwidth consumed by serving your streams and draw less attention from the powers that be.

Good luck,

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules