Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual USB iBook 500 with video problem

Dual USB iBook 500 with video problem
SPiNdustrious
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 04:44 PM

Hello,

I have a dual USB iBook 500 running 10.2.4 (has been since a day or two after the update was released...).

I put it to sleep today by closing it. Nothing unusual. When I opened it later, the screen wouldn't work. I tried several restarts. Nothing. I can log in by guessing when I'm at the prompt. I can get iTunes to play because I have Synergy (www.wincent.org...it's a great prefpane, btw) installed. But no video.

I tried hooking up the RCA out cable to a TV but again nothing.

What worries me is that I can't even see the "ghost image" which is visible if you look closely when the backlight is off.

What are the candidates? LCD? Backlight? Video card? Stupid software problem?

What should I try before going to AppleCare?

Thanks,

Peter

SPiNdustrious  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2003, 12:13 AM

There's another twist. When I close it, it doesn't go to sleep. iTunes just keeps right on playing and I certainly don't hear the hdd spin down.

Thanks,

Peter

passmaster16
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by SPiNdustrious:
There's another twist. When I close it, it doesn't go to sleep. iTunes just keeps right on playing and I certainly don't hear the hdd spin down.

Thanks,

Peter
Well I just got my 600 back to from repair for a bad inverter, but as you said, with that problem you should still see a faint image if you hold the ibook up to strong light. And you should still certainly be able to use external video. The sleep problem could be in the latch. Does the sleep light come on when you close it? Sounds like you have a few issues there. It might be better to use your applecare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules