Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What has happened to my iBook's screen?

What has happened to my iBook's screen?
SPiNdustrious
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 01:30 PM

Hello,

Something went south with my iBook 500MHz dual USB currently running 10.2.5 about eight weeks ago. I was using it in the library, went and got lunch and when I opened my supposedly sleeping iBook, the HDD would spin up, the pulsing light would switch off and the screen wouldn't turn on. I backed it up over ssh (Darwin helping out in a big way once again!) and sent it off to the AppleCare people. They gave me a new logic board and combo drive (one that doesn't properly fit the case and that I have to manually coax open, but that's a problem I understand!).

About a week after I got my baby back, I was sometimes shocked upon opening it up from sleep to find the screen "solarized." It's some sort of color rendering defect that seems to affect darker colors more accutely, especially anything with blue in it. The MacNN logo on this forum, for instance, is hot pink with a gold border and white lettering. Yet the switch isn't perfect: around edges of other colors, I can catch glimpses of the proper blue colors, etc. I found that this problem would disappear on its own after ten minutes. I could encourage a more expedient fix by increasing the switching frequency of my desktop pattern.

Since it would iron itself out after a redraw accompanying something like a change of desktop pattern, I assumed it was a software problem and set out to delete the appropriate plists.

However, a couple of days ago, my screen solarized on wakeup and has stayed that way ever since. I have switched users, restarted, changed any available settings (my Display pref pane hasn't opened in some time...I have a thread going in the OS X forum to that effect).

It went away after I shut my iBook down for about an hour. My machine booted with a normal gray Apple screen. Once the blue Aqua boot screen came on, the solarizing came back with it. This suggests again a software problem.

Last night, I connected a VGA monitor to my iBook. The iBook showed a solarized picture, the CRT showed the correct picture. This suggests a hardware problem.

I'm pretty sure my iBook will need to visit with the AppleCare techs again, but it has to wait for a few weeks while I get through the end of semester crunch.

What could possibly be going on here?

Something I just read in a current iBook thread here leads me to believe that my display cable running through the iBook's hinge is being crimped or is poorly connected, hence the presence of the problem being pretty well correlated with the opening and awakening process.

What do you make of this?

Thanks,

Peter

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 01:38 PM

If its to do with the wire going through the hinge, then i hope you have applecare or warranty or something, as it cost me �470 odd pounds to fix! Dunno why it was so expensive for a wire!

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

SPiNdustrious  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
If its to do with the wire going through the hinge, then i hope you have applecare or warranty or something, as it cost me �470 odd pounds to fix! Dunno why it was so expensive for a wire!

revs
Fortunately I have AppleCare.

It was a good investment!

-Peter

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2003, 05:18 PM

I heard some similar screen issues years ago in the early days of the dual USB iBooks... I think most were indeed down to the display wire hinge 'thing'. I'm pretty sure it was a 'known issue' somewhere along the line, but can't find any evidence as to the fact...

I would just send it back as soon as it is convenient...

Peace,

Marc

Forum Links
Forum Rules