Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What wireless handheld should I get for web app access?

What wireless handheld should I get for web app access?
SPiNdustrious
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 05:06 PM

Hello,

I am wondering what handheld devices you would recommend that meet the following specifications in order of importance:
  1. Ability to connect to HTTP/HTTPS servers.
  2. Ability to display XHTML/CSS data and submit <form>s.
  3. Adequate display for continuous outdoor use (glare, backlight power, etc.)
  4. Ability to readily enter text (QWERTY keyboard a definite plus!).
  5. Reasonably durable and able to function in a dusty, jostling outdoor environment.

I have been looking at:
  • PocketPCs: Dell Axim, Casio IT-10 and EG-800, Symbol MC-50, TDS Recon
  • Palms: Tungsten C, LifeDrive
  • Smartphones: Blackberry, Treo 600/650

Any experience (firsthand or heresay!) that you might have with any of these would be most valuable.

Am I on the right track or is there some perfect solution that I've completely overlooked?

Thanks,

Peter

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:24 PM

Looks like a pretty complete list to me. It depends on what you're looking to do with it. If you're looking for an around the house device, the Tungsten C or LifeDrive look pretty nice. The C's QWERTY keyboard and built-in WiFi are pretty compelling. If you want a smartphone, I lean towards the Treos. I looked at the Blackberries, but the lack of third-party software coupled with the expensive BB service ($30 a month for T-Mobile vs. $5 for t-zones or $20 for full web access) pushed me away from them. I have a Treo 600 and I'm extremely happy with it.

The Treo 650 can handle XHTML and CSS. You can also download ssh apps for it freely (as in beer). It's keyboard is also much improved over the 600 (and I like the 600's a lot).
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

SPiNdustrious  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 10:44 PM

I agree with Timmy that the Tungsten C's keyboard and integrated wireless (and VPN for that matter) are compelling features. What do you all think of the Palm Source Web Browser packaged with it? Based on Palm's web site, it sounds pretty capable...

Thanks,

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules