Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hard drive recovery?

hard drive recovery?
jakav001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2013, 09:35 AM

So, here is what happened. I am really stupid. Like, really really stupid.

So I have an SSD in my hard drive bay and an HDD in my optical bay with a bracket. System/Apps on the SSD, everything else - HDD.

Last night I tried dual booting linux and deleted everything on both drives by accident. Yeah. I had the SSD backed up so I can boot to OSX but since my entire home folder is now missing, I can only log onto the Guest account.

Am I going to have to reinstall Mountain Lion from the recovery partition or is there a way to restore everything from the hard drive I erased? It is around 170gb.

Pleaaaase advise. If I have to start over, it's not the end of the world - my music and movies are backed up so thats whatever its mostly just various documents I've accumulated but I would very much like to get them back, if I can.

Thanks!!!
Jack

ibook_steve
Oct 10, 2013, 02:08 PM

So you didn't back up the HDD? At all? No Time Machine, Dropbox, Carbonite, anything?

I think you're kind of screwed.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2013, 03:55 PM

There are companies that do that kind of thing. Its not cheep. Though yours may be easier that one dredged up from the bottom of the Nile.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2013, 04:51 PM

Even if you could recover your erased hard drive, it is not advisable to use a recovered system, but a cleanly installed one and put your files and configurations back in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules