Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Gadget Archive Site

New Gadget Archive Site
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 08:49 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure how many of you have discovered The Dashboarder yet, but basically it is a Gadget Archive site, where all the latest Dashboard Gadgets can be found. I started it a week or so ago, and while it's small at the moment, I'm sure it will gain much momentum once more gadgets are developed.

That's about all - check out the site, download the gadgets, if you have questions about gadget creation, post in the forum, and most of all, get cracking making your own gagdets and submit them to the site!!

www.thedashboarder.com

Site is updated almost daily, so check back regularly for more gadgets.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 10:35 PM

The first of many.

Bring it on.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2004, 10:38 PM

Cool tPG...nice work!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 11:38 PM

You're the man, tPG! Really cool to have an archive site for Widgets and I bet it will be pretty popular.

I could get MacThemes to link the site to bring in some visitors. You should bring it up to MacNN, MacCentral, MacMinute, etc to get the site listed on front page

Site's very clean and pretty
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jul 6, 2004 at 11:47 PM. )

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 02:04 AM

Thanks guys, hopefully it will be useful as more gadgets become available

Much appreciated Adam, I am happy to link to MacThemes from the sidebar in future, which I might discuss privately with you or Jan.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 06:17 PM

So... no one building gadgets around here yet?

Edit: Never Mind, creating gadgets posts seem to go in software, and general Dashboard talk in OS X. This might be something good to add to the forum descriptions at some point
( Last edited by thePurpleGiant; Jul 7, 2004 at 06:23 PM. )

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 06:48 PM

As cool as that site is, Apple legal will be knocking on your door within a week. As you well know, discussion of Tiger or anything to do with Tiger (if you have it legally) is under NDA. This includes Dashboard. If Apple shuts down sites posting pre-release screenshots, I can imagine what they will do with this.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2004, 07:00 PM

I doubt Apple legal will give him heck for anything already announced. They've never bugged MacNN users for posting screen shots after everyone's seen it.

Oh and for the record, looks interesting.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
As cool as that site is, Apple legal will be knocking on your door within a week. As you well know, discussion of Tiger or anything to do with Tiger (if you have it legally) is under NDA. This includes Dashboard. If Apple shuts down sites posting pre-release screenshots, I can imagine what they will do with this.
This was my initial thought. But after thinking about it, they shouldn't. As strange as it may seem, I don't have Tiger, or access to Tiger. All screenshots on the site are simply taken in a web browser/Photoshop. All gadgets are by users, not by apple. And no screenshots of Tiger are on there.

Dashboard itself is hardly a secret, since it has been announced, and there are people all over MacNN discussing gadgets without issue.

I appreciate the concern, and I do hope that Apple Legal doesn't do anything, but I cannot see what grounds it would be on if they did. My motivation for creating the site (even without Tiger) is that when I do get Tiger, next year, same as the rest of you, I would like a healthy collection of gadgets to choose from. Since I didn't see anywhere else on the net providing this, I thought I'd step up to the plate.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2004, 07:48 PM

I have domains registered for this purpose, but can't get webhosting until I'm back in the states (they want to call me on at my home phone number).

Even worth my time now?

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2004, 08:21 PM

Cool site. Hope it doesn't get suspended.
I can't see why you'd get harassed, considering Steve was so adamant about developers creating gadgets.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
Cool site. Hope it doesn't get suspended.
I can't see why you'd get harassed, considering Steve was so adamant about developers creating gadgets.
The only problem I can see is the use of the word Dashboard in the name If you recall, Apple forced websites with the name "Garageband" in it to change their name.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2004, 06:26 AM

I added it to the Dashboard aticle on Apfelwiki (german only) (http://www.apfelwiki.de). I hope this helps.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
I added it to the Dashboard aticle on Apfelwiki (german only) (http://www.apfelwiki.de). I hope this helps.
Thanks mate, and to Adam for the link on MacThemes.net!

Since being released The Dashboarder has gone from having 200 unique hits day one, 500 day two, then 3000 ay three!

Now all I need is more gadgets. I have had many emails coming in saying 'oh my gadget is really close to being done!', so I look forward to a busy week of new gadgets being released.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 09:17 PM

For what it's worth, Dave Hyatt is posting about Dashboard on his public blog. I doubt Apple will care if people are working on gadgets. It's better for them to have lots available when Tiger comes out.

kman

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2004, 04:03 PM

You know what I'm thinking? I bet there will be a stripped-down Dashboard implementation of some sort for Linux before Tiger ships. Many of these gadgets works out of the box in current browsers and it won't be a difficult task to wrap a Mozilla or Konqueror view into a small floating window for your Linux desktop... or Windows Desktop... or Mac OS X Panther...

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Michel Fortin:
You know what I'm thinking? I bet there will be a stripped-down Dashboard implementation of some sort for Linux before Tiger ships. Many of these gadgets works out of the box in current browsers and it won't be a difficult task to wrap a Mozilla or Konqueror view into a small floating window for your Linux desktop... or Windows Desktop... or Mac OS X Panther...
That sounds about right. I vote that Linux will be the first to release something similar. Generally speaking these days, most OS X applications and features are attempted to be ported to Linux in about a month or so. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules