Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about configuring logitech keyboard

Question about configuring logitech keyboard
Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2004, 12:23 PM

I recently purchased the logitech cordless elite duo, and I'm having a grand time with it. My last two Apple keyboards both broke (certain keys just died... I'm gentle with them, don't eat/drink around them, use canned air every once in a while...). It was a good excuse to go wireless, and the added functionality on the mouse is great, too (compared to my last logitech wheel mouse). This keyboard does everything I need, and much, much more.

However, being a cross-platform keyboard, it has one thing I really, really wish I could do something with: that silly key that windows uses to bring up contextual menus. I always found it useless on Windows, but it is even worse, now. It does nothing. Beyond that, Logitech doesn't seem to provide a way for me to give it any sort of functionality.

Does anybody know if there is a way I can make it do... well, anything? It kills me to have a perfectly good button in such a convenient location be so wasted...

Thanks!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 04:41 PM

Try installing the Logitech Control Center for Macintosh� OS X:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...id=6036,OSID=9

Turnpike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 06:54 AM

I suppose I didn't make this clear initially, but yes, I've installed that. It allows me to configure any of the "extra" buttons on the keyboard (e-mail, favorites, search, et cetera... even all of the secondary functions of the function keys).

Unfortunately, Logitech does not provide a way for users to change the functionality of said contextual menu key.

If only it were as simple as just installing the included drivers and updating them!

I've also heard good things about USB overdrive, but it didn't seem to recognize the keyboard.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 01:55 PM

1. Can you map the key to Expos�?
2. Try fiddling with Keyboard Shortcuts under Keyboard & Mouse in System Prefs.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 06:12 PM

I have the wired version of the keyboard, and no, it is not possible to configure this key in any way (I haven't tried USB Overdrive) with Logitech's software, in Expos�, or in Keyboard Shortcuts. I had totally forgotten it was there, actually. I don't know why Windows keyboards must always have such silly keys...

(well, for full keyboard access of course, but there's a mouse there these days, dangit )

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 07:05 PM

Ah, I see. I sold my Logitech Elite Duo keyboard awhile back so that I could go All Bluetooth, All The Time, and I couldn't remember being able to use that menu key for anything, either.

Turnpike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2004, 12:13 AM

As far as I can tell, the MacOS simply doesn't recognize it. No settings seem to grab hold of it, nothing shows up in Keyboard Viewer, et cetera. I just figured it had to be sending some signal to the computer (the keyboard doesn't know what OS it is being used with) and was hoping somebody knew of something that would grab that signal and translate it to a button press.

Thanks anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules