Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 7/7.0.1 "Cannot browse covers on this computer"?

iTunes 7/7.0.1 "Cannot browse covers on this computer"?
analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 03:27 AM

Hey people,

I have a 1.25GHz G4 Mac mini, 1GB RAM, with my entire music collection on an external firewire drive (set as iTunes Music folder, copy songs there when added to library, maintain folder switched on).

Whenever I try to switch to CoverFlow mode, it tells me that it cannot do so on this computer. List view with covers at the left works fine.

Apparently, it's still cached the art in ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork/.

Any ideas why it's not working? I couldn't find any info about minimum graphics card requirements for CoverFlow, so I'm assuming it's a bug regarding music collections kept on an external drive?

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 12:12 PM

I have an ancient PII Dell laptop that I am using as an iTunes server (yes, I know this is below the Windows minimum requirements, but it works) that also displays this message. Interestingly enough, I never saw the error until I moved my music off the main drive. Although, I also get this error when browsing the iTunes store, which does not cache the covers locally, so I doubt that is related to the external drive. There must be some code in coverflow that has minimum GPU/CPU requirements
-- Jason

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 12:56 PM

Except it apparently works fine on 1.42GHz G4 Mac minis, from other threads... same GPU.

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 01:21 PM

i don't think it's the external drive, since I have a similar setup (all music on external drive) and it's working fine on my MacBook.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 08:32 AM

I don't get the error, but since 7.01 the coverflow view kills my GPU and "freezes" 3/4 of the iTunes screen, making it unusable. I have to hit the green 'maximize' button to force the screen to redraw after I switch back to album view or song list. I figure this is apple's way of letting me know my mini needs to turn into a MacPro more sooner than later.

1.42GHz mini/32VRAM/1GB RAM/1900x1200 Dell 2407fpw

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 09:54 AM

my 1st gen mac mini (1.4ghz +1 gig ram) does it fine, music served of external firewire.

Something else is going wrong, it also runs bearably on an 800 mhz g4 I have.

long shot but try changing screen resolution or checking screen is on millions of colors.

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 03:20 PM

Didn't help.

Maybe because I don't actually have a display attached, but only run it via Remote Desktop?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2006, 03:34 PM

analogika - might be that, actually. I had a 1.25GHz mini that wouldn't use Coverflow over VNC. I wish I'd tried it with a screen plugged into it before I sold it, now...would have liked to have been able to give you a more helpful answer.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2006, 09:16 PM

I use iTunes on my mini via remote desktop fine, but its connected to a monitor (the TV).

Try plugging a screen into it to check if thats the issue.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 05:49 PM

I suspect it may be related to corevideo. If your video card isn't capable of that,
it might not allow you to do it.

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 06:00 PM

Unlikely, since moonmonkey's Mac mini had the same graphics card.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Didn't help.

Maybe because I don't actually have a display attached, but only run it via Remote Desktop?
rofl. seriously? Ummm... yeah. You can't display GPU accelerated stuff over ARD.

Sheesh.

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 03:13 AM

Bullshit.

roflololol. or whatever. because, see, moonmonkey actually HAS it working over ARD.

It just apparently won't work IF THERE IS NO ACTUAL DISPLAY HOOKED UP.

jerk.

Sheesh.

SynApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
I don't get the error, but since 7.01 the coverflow view kills my GPU and "freezes" 3/4 of the iTunes screen, making it unusable. I have to hit the green 'maximize' button to force the screen to redraw after I switch back to album view or song list. I figure this is apple's way of letting me know my mini needs to turn into a MacPro more sooner than later.

1.42GHz mini/32VRAM/1GB RAM/1900x1200 Dell 2407fpw
That's exactly what happens to me as well.
I'm running iTunes 7.0.1 on a PPC Mini 1.42 - 1GB RAM - 32VRAM attached to an external Apple 20" display; music is on an external hard disk.
Could it be our screens our too big for the mine to correctly load coverflow?
Mac Mini 1.4GHZ
Apple 20" Cinema Display
iPod 3G - 15GB
iPod Mini - Blue

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
I suspect it may be related to corevideo. If your video card isn't capable of that,
it might not allow you to do it.
CoreVideo and CoreImage don't have anything to do with CoverFlow. CoverFlow is all done in OpenGL. CoreVideo is only used in video editing, and CoreImage is only used in image editing. CoreAnimation would be what you'd do something like CoverFlow in, but that's only in 10.5 anyway.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules