Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro premature shut down on battery.

MacBook Pro premature shut down on battery.
Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 12:18 PM

Here's a new issue I just got that I haven't heard anywhere else. When running on battery power my MacBook will shut down with anywhere from 1:15 to 2 hours of battery life remaining. No warning, no sleep, not even a normal shut down. It's like I just pulled the battery out of it. The battery shows three lights of charge still on it and works fine in another MacBook. If I try to boot up it will only get so far before doing it again, usually before it finishes booting. Apple had me reset the PMU which didn't work. And I've conditioned the battery twice. I believe this started right after installing the firmware update.

Anyway, It's going back to them tomorrow for that as well as the buzz when the brightness is turned down. Supposedly getting escalated as soon as they get it. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of it?

Masters2010
Apr 9, 2006, 09:19 PM

I had the same problems and I posted here about it too, just getting reset the PMU. I sent it back, got a new one, and though I haven't really used it a lot since (got it two days ago) it seems to be working fine now.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2006, 10:11 PM

I am having this exact problem now with my macbook pro. It also shuts down with no warning at all.
For me it started 3 days ago. I guess I need to bring it to the Apple Store.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2006, 10:17 PM

Does you battery falls in this group?

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...attery.recall/
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2006, 12:32 AM

Battery recall. Just send it in and Apple will send you a new one.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 08:54 AM

Yes, it does. Wow, I guess the lesson is: never buy the first models?
Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by phantomo
Does you battery falls in this group?

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/...attery.recall/

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 03:51 PM

Just got back from the Apple Store. They replaced the battery after watching the computer
shutdown in less than 3 minutes unplugged. I am very pleased.

Originally Posted by xaymaca2020
Thanks for the link.

box634
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 08:05 PM

I have this symptom. My serial number is in the range described. I'll be talking to Apple tomorrow. Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2006, 01:00 PM

My MBP has a W8612 serial number but I'm experiencing shutdowns w/o sleep on low battery. Could my MBP be affected?

skyman
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by xaymaca2020
Thanks for the link.
Apple does not make the batteries, so it's not their fault and it's NOT a first model issue as it only effects a small batch of batteries. This is a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
My MBP has a W8612 serial number but I'm experiencing shutdowns w/o sleep on low battery. Could my MBP be affected?
You have a week 12 build and the recall is only for week 8 and earlier.

Call Apple.

1 800 SOS APPLE.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

gb506
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 01:32 PM

I have the shutdown on battery issue, too, but my Macbook Pro falls outside of the previously announced battery recall. Spoke to Apple today and after reseting the PMU and PRAM, the problem seemingly got worse! So they're shipping a replacement battery out to me. Hope it solves the issue.

What is interesting to me is the way in (and speed with) which the problem became worse and worse. I've had the MBP since early March and had no issues up until a week ago, or so. Then the shutdown happened once, and I thought maybe the battery just lost connection w/ the board for an instant, as has happened w/ other Powerbooks in the past. Then it started happening more frequently, with the culmination today where it won't even stay up long enought to get logged on.

We'll see what the new battery does...

Greg

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2006, 02:48 PM

The week 8 and earlier recall is baloney. Much newer MBPs are having battery issues. According to both people I talked to at Apple they knew of no such thing as a 'silent' battery recall. They were however aware of some problems like the ones you and I have been experiencing. Once I told them I had installed the current firmware and SMC updates as well as tried re-calibrating the battery and resetting the PMU, they suggested to send me a new battery. That's perfectly fine with me. No downtime and no cost.

gb506
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
That's perfectly fine with me. No downtime and no cost.
Except for the fact that I have to haul my ac adapter around everywhere, and have to work only where power is available now until the battery arrives (up to 7 days according to Apple.). PITA, but that's how it goes I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules