Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Linking iTunes - a bust with new os update?...

Linking iTunes - a bust with new os update?...
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2006, 01:33 AM

I'm seeing an issue that some of you may be familiar with and hopefully can help me out.

I want to link iTunes in two user accounts to a single directory in a shared folder. Under the Users directory I've created a dir "Shared" and we use this to swap files and to link programs, such as iPhoto - instead of my wife and I (the two accounts) keeping separate versions of all our same images and sets we point our separate iPhoto apps to a 'mono' iPhoto directory in the shared dir.

We want to do this now with iTunes and I have copied the 'mono' iTunes dir to the Shared dir:

/Users/Shared/Applications/iTunes/
iTunes Library
iTunes Music
iTunes Music Library.xml

and created a symbolic link to this in my Music dir.

This has worked great for me, but is now failing with the message: "The folder "iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have permissions for this folder"

The same goes for the othe raccount. Nothing I've tried from either account will allow the second account to link into the iTunes mono dir, including various futzes using the root account. Rather at a loss here, I'll basically genuflect to any info that helps.

-

This linking used to work just fine before I upgraded to osX version 10.4.8, when I had the other account s linking into the iTunes dir in my own account...

-

Thanks,
Kent

kent m is not a member of any public groups

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 03:44 PM

er, nothing?...

I can't believe this is so rare...

kent m is not a member of any public groups

luckyjoe
Nov 30, 2006, 03:44 PM

Any solution to this?

I have a the same situation on my MB, but sharing was no problem on the old iBook..

Regards,

Tom P.

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 30, 2006, 03:55 PM

Have you tried setting /Users/Shared/Applications/iTunes* to world readable/writeable/exec?

luckyjoe
Nov 30, 2006, 10:37 PM

How do I do that?

It seem that I keep running into permission lock-outs when i try to access the files (Admin) through another user account.

Tom

Ganesha
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 02:11 AM

In Terminal goto /Users and type 'ls -l' you will get something like...

drwxrwxrwt 5 root wheel 170 Sep 3 2005 Shared

the correct permissions (the flags on the left) on the Shared directory should be drwxrwxrwt

if they are not type 'sudo chmod 1777 Shared' to correct it.

next goto /Users/Shared and type 'ls -l'...

Applications should have (drwxrwxrwx) for permissions (note difference in the last flag). Type 'chmod 777 Applications' to correct it if it's not correct. Unless you've messed something up, you should not need to sudo.

next goto /Users/Shared/Applications and type 'ls -l'...

iTunes probably needs (drwxrwxrwx) or (drw-rw-rw-) to fully function in a multiuser environment. iTunes will surely break if you have (drwx------) or something similar where none of the flags on the right side are set.

If this is the case... Type 'chmod -R 777 iTunes' to set all files and subdirectories within iTunes to (drwxrwxrwx). Unless you've messed something up, you should not need to sudo.

The usual warnings about backing up should apply here, the chmod command is mostly harmless since you can always undo what you did (if you know the permissions before), but it is not impossible to screw up to the point its easier just to revert to backup.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ganesha View Post
In Terminal goto /Users and type 'ls -l' you will get something like...

drwxrwxrwt 5 root wheel 170 Sep 3 2005 Shared

the correct permissions (the flags on the left) on the Shared directory should be drwxrwxrwt

if they are not type 'sudo chmod 1777 Shared' to correct it.

next goto /Users/Shared and type 'ls -l'...

Applications should have (drwxrwxrwx) for permissions (note difference in the last flag). Type 'chmod 777 Applications' to correct it if it's not correct. Unless you've messed something up, you should not need to sudo.

next goto /Users/Shared/Applications and type 'ls -l'...

iTunes probably needs (drwxrwxrwx) or (drw-rw-rw-) to fully function in a multiuser environment. iTunes will surely break if you have (drwx------) or something similar where none of the flags on the right side are set.

If this is the case... Type 'chmod -R 777 iTunes' to set all files and subdirectories within iTunes to (drwxrwxrwx). Unless you've messed something up, you should not need to sudo.

The usual warnings about backing up should apply here, the chmod command is mostly harmless since you can always undo what you did (if you know the permissions before), but it is not impossible to screw up to the point its easier just to revert to backup.
nice to know there is a simple solution.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 05:17 PM

I used this method on my PowerBook and it works for iTunes and iPhoto for me.

macosxhints.com - 10.4: Share an iPhoto library among multiple users

Forum Links
Forum Rules