Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 inch Macbook Pro Screen Issues

17 inch Macbook Pro Screen Issues
thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 04:54 PM

I have 2 units of the 17 Inch Macbook Pro Core Duo and have just purchased 2 units of the 17 Inch Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo. I right now have 4 17 Inch Macbook Pro's (I have sold the two units of Core Duos today). Anyways, it seems that Apple has some issues with their Laptop Screens. 1 of the 4 Macbook Pros that I have here has a brighter screen than the other 3 units nd it is pretty obvious too.
I always knew that one of my old core duos had a brighter screen but seems that Apple is using a dull screen on their new machines manufactured after July 2006.

I was looking at the outside of the box on my old core duo machines and the machine that has the brighter screen was manufactured I believe in June/July 2006 and the one that has the dull screen was manufactured on September 2006.

The Core 2 Duo Macbook Pros were manufactured one in November and another one in December 2006 and they both have the dull screen.

PS: I have the brighteness all the way to 100%. The screens were all positioned in the same room, side by side.

Anyways it seems that all Macbook Pros manufactured after July 2006 have a much more dull screen, has anybody else noticed?

Its not just a little big, it is a big difference.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 11, 2007, 05:39 AM

Have you got the same color profiles selected in

SYSTEM PREFERENCES -> DISPLAY -> COLOR?

This can have a massive effect on the appearance of the screen.

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2007, 03:08 PM

Yes, I would consider myself a computer savy person. Everything is exactly the same, brightness, color profiles, everything....I usually don't care about things like this, but it is obvious that there are differences in the quality of their screens and when I am poaying almost $3,000 for a laptop, I want something with a little more quality control.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 08:10 AM

Sorry if you felt I was being patronising!

I have had my Powerbook decide that it didn't like the colour profile that I had previously selected and it decided to use another one. That can happen.

I used to calibrate my screens bye eye using the colosync calibration tool, but I have just purchased a huey™ and it made an amazing difference, I can clearly see how bad I was before.

gregro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 01:53 PM

Was there any update on your issue? Did you send it in to Apple for repair?
I'm feeling really disappointed with my 17" MBP about the display- it's just not acceptable on a $2800 machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules