Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD read problem... is this iTunes or CD

CD read problem... is this iTunes or CD
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 02:38 AM

Alright guys I have been experiencing a wierd problem lately. I have a fairly extensive CD collection (read: over 200 cds) that I have been importing into iTunes. It was all going well... i was doing maybe 25 a night. Well tonight I had some wierd problems. I was importing a cd and it got to the last song... it was 3/4 of the way done and iTunes seemed to stop and the cd spin noise halted. Then I just heard what sounded like the combo drive adjusting the position of the disk. I left it do this for about 10 min before I forced quit iTunes and ejected the cd. The first time this happened the screen greyed and it said that I must restart me powerbook, so I did and all seemed well. I did about 5 more cds and then the same thing happened on the last song (except no prompt to restart and I didn't). I have a friend that was here (who uses iTunes on his PC) and he says that happens to him once in a while but not too often. No I must say this isn't really often... it only happened twice and I've imported over 1000 songs in the past few days... what say you... is this a sign of hardware failure... or is it a quark in iTunes?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:17 AM

Check the CD's to make sure they are clean as dirt can sometimes cause iTunes to keep trying to read the same bit.

Also you can turn on Error Correction when reading CD's, if you go to iTunes preferences and select 'Importing', then tick the last box in the list and try the same CD again.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

gbarill
Aug 1, 2004, 11:43 AM

my cd drive does this sometimes as well, it seems to have problems reading the ends of cds. of course, lately it has trouble reading CDs at all, so i'm thinking my CD drive is starting to go (400mhz tibook, so it's a bit "aged")
sounds like that's exactly what i experience and i'm pretty sure there's something very wrong with my cd drive... can't afford to fix it right now though...

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 12:00 PM

You could also try cleaning the CD lens.

If you can see the lens, i.e. a Tray CD then use a cotton bud to brush off dust.

If it is a slot load then you need to use a CD cleaner disc.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 03:21 PM

I should note that I did turn on error correction and it still happened one more time. Further more, I cleaned the bottom of the cds which are quite scratch free. I'm just thinking maybe it doesn't likie the cds, because it only did this on a select few... 3 out of like 150ish. I may soon try cleaning out the drive w/ a cleaner disk as it's been used quite heavily in the past few days. BTW this is a new slot load AL book in my sig... it's only a week or so old!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules