Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Fastest wireless Internet data card for MacBook Pro

Fastest wireless Internet data card for MacBook Pro
Credence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 11:53 AM

Hi all. I have a 17" MacBook Pro and need a wireless data card/package for Internet access while traveling. I tried the Verizon package but wasn't pleased with the coverage area. Coverage is obviously important but I'm also looking for the fastest connection possible. I wondered if more wireless savy members would share your thoughts on the fastest wireless data card package available for the MacBook Pro right now? Thanks for any input on this.

Credence  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 12:00 PM

Another thought...I've seen posts about connecting the MacBook Pro via Bluetooth to a wireless phone. I'm not sure how this works but how would that compare to have a dedicated wireless data card for the laptop?

Also, I'm planning on buying an iPhone but not until the second generation one. Would it be possible to connect the laptop via the iPhone AT&T account? That would give me the best of both worlds with iPhone access for quick Internet/email access and MacBook Pro wireless access for more intensive web work. Any thoughts?

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2007, 12:34 PM

I travel with my 2.33 15" MBP and have done so for a while. I have been tethering to my cell phone when I get outside major metro areas mainly b/c I have no need for a full time access card (I can get on wireless networks inside most cities). All in all it works but is slow, mainly because the cell phone I was using was limited.

In my limited research AT&T's 3G (or 3.5G, depending on the person with whom you speak) is the fastest network for tethering. I upgraded to a Razr2 v9 (3G capable) with AT&T just last week and will be playing with the settings next week in anticipation of travel again the first part of the year.

3G coverage is getting better [unfortunately] if you travel outside coverage areas you will go back to EDGE which is slow. You can do e-mail and basic web browsing okay, but if you have to send large files, it will wear real thin real fast.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 10:55 PM

I tether with my MBP and Blackjack 2 on ATT's network. I am on it at the moment actually.

I got a DL rate of about 100 KB/s in Firefox for a 32MB download.

My ATT setup --> BJ2 phone, 19.99 MediaMax Plan, DO NOT MENTION TETHERING to the sales rep. They will want to charge you for it, but we all know you are just using it for an extended trial right?

Cheers.

Credence  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 01:43 AM

Thank you for the replies folks. Two days ago I added an unlimited data access plan to my bluetooth Razor V3m phone package with Alltel. But so far I've been unable to get the connection working. Hopefully I can get it worked out. The data rate is supposed to be around 3MBs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules