Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 128)
sek929
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2009, 01:51 AM

Meh, cool weapon upgrade system, that's about it.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2009, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Re-posted, because it seems like Hawkeye missed it

No one is going to write with a quill and ink when a ball-point pen is available. I guarantee almost every game ever made has had features cut because some just weren't feasible/possible to do with the technology available at the time; There's no reason to develop while pointlessly holding one hand behind your back. You know the drill: Core titles get developed on the best tech available, and then features get cut when(if) it's ported.
Then why were games being developed and/or ported to the PS2 ?

Now, here's the bad news for you: RE5 and SFIV did just fine (if not very well) on just the 360 and PS3. Which means Capcom can continue to ignore the Wii as a primary platform when developing its core titles (And can consider it an option for ports).
Then why port a game like RE4(among other games) to the PS2 ?

I'll summarize than answer to the original question that got obfuscated over more posts than it should have as usual:

Wii owners have yet to display an ability to discern quality rated titles from bad ones and instead appear to rely purely on brand recognition (Nintendo) followed by a limited selection of genres (sports games) or demographic (Everyone). The numbers back-up these assertions and have already been posted above.
If you're reasoning were logical, i still wonder why developers bothered writing software for the PS2 ? (we all know the answer here..... larger installed base = better business opportunity)

While RE5 and SFIV did well on just the XB360 and PS3, who's to say that if a high quality port of those games were to hit the Wii they wount see even bigger success ? (im talking unit sales).

Your assertion that all Wii owners buy games the exact same way(particularly the non-core third party titles) is too general for the ~50m+ user base of the system. A mainstream-third-party-title that has a AAA development and marketing budget will sell...... Red Steal (for a launch title), RE4, all the EA sports games that outsold their XB360/PS3 cousins.

If there are a few casual-third-party titles that sell well on the Wii(for whatever reason), one cannot conclude that AAA core titles wont sell if they have all the right ingredients for a successful game (some being brand, production values, critical acclaim, marketing).

If you picked up an XB360/PS3 to play a couple of 'good'(by your definition) games, what's keeping you from picking up a Wii to play those 'good' Wii games you speak of ? I assume, you dont think these 'good' games on the Wii are worth buying (but at the same time expect Wii owners to pick them up). Am i right ? why the double standard ?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 17, 2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Deus Ex was a PC shooter, as was UT.

And upon further research, Call of Duty was a PC shooter as well.
Yes they were. I was listing FPS overall that were good during the time. For consoles SOCOM is the one that broke the 'console' FPS controller issue for me. I still think mouse/keyboard is better method but I have no major issues with the controllers anymore.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 17, 2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

You really need to stop pretending that the Gamecube was so much superior to the PS2. Was it more powerful? Sure, but not so much to be a huge difference. It would be like asking why a program designed for the MacBook Pro is being ported to the regular MacBook. It's just not that big of a deal.

However, comparing the PS3 and 360 to the Wii in terms of power is mostly a joke. The Wii is something that is basically crippled when it comes to processing power, as the producer of RE5 noted when he said it couldn't even handle the title screen of the game.

Also, the Gamecube was a system that sold over its lifetime fewer units than *any* of the current generation consoles.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2009, 02:09 PM

While RE5 and SFIV did well on just the XB360 and PS3, who's to say that if a high quality port of those games were to hit the Wii they wount see even bigger success ? (im talking unit sales).

Your assertion that all Wii owners buy games the exact same way (particularly the non-core third party titles) is too general for the ~50m+ user base of the system. A mainstream-third-party-title that has a AAA development and marketing budget will sell......
If that's the case then why are the numbers for Call of Duty: WaW for the Wii so low?
XB360 - 5.45M
PS3 - 3.25M
Wii - 1.13M

50+ million user base for the system and they barely sold over 1 million copies?
vgchartz.com - Call of Duty: World at War

Red Steal (for a launch title), RE4, all the EA sports games that outsold their XB360/PS3 cousins.
Besides Tiger Woods what other EA sports games are you talking about? The Wii version of Madden didn't outsell the XB360/PS3.

Madden NFL 08
XB360 - 2.41M
PS3 - .93M
Wii - .93M

Madden NFL 09
XB360 - 2.29M
PS3 - 1.59
Wii - .78M

vgchartz.com - Madden

If there are a few casual-third-party titles that sell well on the Wii(for whatever reason), one cannot conclude that AAA core titles wont sell if they have all the right ingredients for a successful game (some being brand, production values, critical acclaim, marketing).
COD: WaW had all the ingredients but it still only had 1/5 the sales as the XB360 version despite having a much larger installed based. How do you explain that?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 17, 2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
If that's the case then why are the numbers for Call of Duty: WaW for the Wii so low?
XB360 - 5.45M
PS3 - 3.25M
Wii - 1.13M

50+ million user base for the system and they barely sold over 1 million copies?
vgchartz.com - Call of Duty: World at War
The funny thing is that out of the top 10 best selling Call of Duty games of all time, only 2 are Wii versions - the bottom 2. In fact, the two Wii games do not even combine for more sales than the #8 game.

I wonder why they don't put more into Wii development...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 09:38 AM

Tuesday Morning News Bukkake

Stephen Totillo analyzes how well MS delivered on its promises from E3 2008
Spoiler: They did a very good job.

By Apple logic, this Cease & Desist confirms the validity of these pics
Assuming this Taiwan firm represents Sony...

Duke Nuke-em's death taking Forever
I'm kinda proud of that one.

Analysts: GTA - China Wars will sell more than 200,000 copies it's first month.
Reality: GTA - China Wars will sell less than 200,000 copies after two months.

---

I have to say, the addition of Stephen Totillo to Kotaku is freakin' fantastic. This guy is hitting the kind of angles we who love to analyze the console wars to death can really enjoy.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 09:44 AM

Joystiq Review: Punch-Out!! (Wii)

It's been over 10 years since the last game in the Punch-Out!! series -- Super Punch-Out!! on the SNES -- was released with a new visual style, a host of new boxers, and some new moves in Little Mac's repertoire. Nintendo has finally provided us with another installment in the series, now with motion-based controls, Balance Board support, and multiplayer. While it ultimately feels like the same game we've played before, it's hard to peg that as a bad thing.

The big draws for Punch-Out!! on the Wii are motion-based controls and Balance Board support -- and they're a lot more responsive and fun to use than you would find in Wii Sports' boxing mode. With the analog stick controlling your character's movement, it's fairly easy to dodge and take out your opponents. It works, but the game really shines when you're playing with the classic controls.

Another issue I had with the game was a sharp increase in difficulty almost out of nowhere. The game is divided into 3 different circuits, and veterans of Punch-Out!! will likely experience what I did: eight boxers who are pushovers and then the last circuit of five, which really jacks up the difficulty. It can be frustrating and tough transition, but it's a lot better than the alternative of the entire game being incredibly easy to conquer.

Nintendo has done a good job of throwing a new coat of paint on Punch-Out!!, but has also taken special care to make sure the core of the experience has not been changed for Wii. This means that fans of the franchise won't feel alienated, and newcomers can easily pick up the Wiimote (and Nunchuk, if that's how they want to roll) and get into the action.
A few cherry-picked paragraphs, emphasis mine. Still feelin' good about my sales prediction.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 10:22 AM

Dunno if this was noticed. Hardware sales for April : the PS2 is on a par with the Xbox.

I'm gobsmacked. WHY?

I have to say, the addition of Stephen Totillo to Kotaku is freakin' fantastic. This guy is hitting the kind of angles we who love to analyze the console wars to death can really enjoy.
The question is, will Dakar keep us entertained here on MacNN or will he cross over to the Dark Side?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Dunno if this was noticed. Hardware sales for April : the PS2 is on a par with the Xbox.

I'm gobsmacked. WHY?
Because the thing got a price drop.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Goldeneye 007 is the reason we have console shooters.
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Uh, no.
You have nothing to back that up. How many ARE on consoles in the first place? We couldn't even come up with enough for a poll.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Then name a console FPS that preceded it...I didn't think so.

Goldeneye was the grand-daddy of all console FPSes, and it was damn brilliant at that.
Name 10 that came AFTER that. That's the point. Other than Halo, Turok, and Perfect Dark there weren't many at all. That's my point.
No, you're missing the point. We had games like DOOM on the SNES and N64, but the explosive success of GoldenEye paved the way for FPS as a viable genre on the console, and showed developers that a game made specifically for the platform could be very successful (and that you could also make a good game based on a movie). Without GoldenEye who knows if they'd have bothered making a Red Faction or a Halo.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 19, 2009, 10:58 AM

No, you're missing the point. We had games like DOOM on the SNES and N64, but the explosive success of GoldenEye paved the way for FPS as a viable genre on the console, and showed developers that a game made specifically for the platform could be very successful (and that you could also make a good game based on a movie). Without GoldenEye who knows if they'd have bothered making a Red Faction or a Halo.
To be fair, Halo was developed as a FPS for the Mac, and only became a console shooter after Microsoft bought Bungie.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 19, 2009, 11:08 AM

Not to mention no console at the time could even do real 3D nor had an analog controller. N64 was the first with both. When the Playstation came out it didn't get an analog controller till a few years later.

With the ton of 3D games on Windows at the time, they would have made it to the console at some point as they matured. Just a year or two ago we had the big debate of keyboard vs controller being a major issue for consoles and 3d gaming. Now its never even a debate anymore.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 11:42 AM

To be fair, Halo was developed as a FPS for the Mac, and only became a console shooter after Microsoft bought Bungie.
I'd wonder if MS would have had interest in bringing that FPS to its console if it weren't for GoldenEye paving the way.

Thanks for the info.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 12:09 PM

Because third party titles sold the best there.

See above.

If you're reasoning were logical, i still wonder why developers bothered writing software for the PS2 ? (we all know the answer here..... larger installed base = better business opportunity)
You do realize the PS2 trumped the other consoles by a far greater amount than the Wii does? And I mean far greater.

Ah, but here's the problem. Last generation the difference in power between the PS2, XBOX, and GC was negligible. The PS2 suffered more jaggy edges and draw-in (to simplify). The Wii however, flat-out can't handle much of what is done. As one of the Capcom guys noted earlier, it can't handle the RE:5 intro.

Your assertion that all Wii owners buy games the exact same way(particularly the non-core third party titles) is too general for the ~50m+ user base of the system.
Unfortunately, the numbers beg to differ.

A mainstream-third-party-title that has a AAA development and marketing budget will sell...
Except, so far, it hasn't.

Red Steal (for a launch title), RE4,
You know who picks up launch titles? Hardcore fans. Because they're the first to pick-up the system.

all the EA sports games that outsold their XB360/PS3 cousins.
Numbers? $5 says their attach rate isn't even close to the 360/PS3's.

It may not be definitive (yet), but the numbers do indeed indicate that. MadWorld had all the ingredients you (now) mention.

If you picked up an XB360/PS3 to play a couple of 'good'(by your definition) games, what's keeping you from picking up a Wii to play those 'good' Wii games you speak of ? I assume, you dont think these 'good' games on the Wii are worth buying (but at the same time expect Wii owners to pick them up). Am i right ? why the double standard ?
You're trying to take objective facts (a compilation and average of scores) and turn them into some kind of subjective fact.

Here's a fact for you: I think the Honda Accord is a good car. I don't own one. Am I a hypocrite?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 10:35 PM

Because third party titles sold the best there.

See above.

You do realize the PS2 trumped the other consoles by a far greater amount than the Wii does? And I mean far greater.
Yes i do realize that the PS2 has over a 100% lead over the GCN+XBOX combined. And so far this generation the Wii has an installed base equal to the combined base of XB360+PS3. The PS2 has been on sale for a good 5 more years than the current generation console....i assume you know that.

Ah, but here's the problem. Last generation the difference in power between the PS2, XBOX, and GC was negligible. The PS2 suffered more jaggy edges and draw-in (to simplify). The Wii however, flat-out can't handle much of what is done. As one of the Capcom guys noted earlier, it can't handle the RE:5 intro.
Yeah and the same dudes said that RE4 would never run on a PS2. I guess porting the game down to the PS2 solved that problem.... which is arguably not the *same* game. but hey.... never-mind what they said and did, lets take their latest comment at face value to justify our arguments.

I also remember how the original Rock Band on the Wii had to be a PS2 port, because the technology was just not there for the 'real' XB360/PS3 experience..... tell that to the Guitar Hero guys.

Unfortunately, the numbers beg to differ.

Except, so far, it hasn't.
What numbers ? post some will ya ? the last flood of info that was posted a few pages ago, saw the Wii outselling the XB360 and PS3 respectively with a couple of exceptions (like Call of Duty, which the core love using)

You know who picks up launch titles? Hardcore fans.
Same can be said of guys who pick up XB360 and PS3s.

You're trying to take objective facts (a compilation and average of scores) and turn them into some kind of subjective fact.

Here's a fact for you: I think the Honda Accord is a good car. I don't own one. Am I a hypocrite?
Comparing a $20k+ product to a sub $.5k- product does not give credibility to your argument. it's like comparing a peanut to a watermelon.

So there are no third party Wii games, you deem worthy of owning ? Funny you are so vocal that Wii owners don't pick up the same game you do not pick up.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 20, 2009 at 05:46 AM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2009, 10:36 PM

Finally a game that will get me to invest in a PS3 (the new slim, cheaper one)....

PlayStation LifeStyle � Team ICO’s Project Trico HD Trailer

I dare say that Team Ico is one of my favorite studios.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 20, 2009, 06:33 AM

Yeah and the same dudes said that RE4 would never run on a PS2.
Incorrect. Here's what IGN said in their PS2 review of the game:
"at one point game director Shinji Mikami himself said he'd cut his head off if it was ported to another system"

That is quite a bit different from saying a system is technically incapable of ever running the game. And Capcom had announced the PS2 port before the GCN version was even released. And they were able to improve the PS2 version (it ran in true widescreen whereas the GCN version was letterboxed, and they added an entire chapter to the game).

What numbers ? post some will ya ? the last flood of info that was posted a few pages ago, saw the Wii outselling the XB360 and PS3 respectively with a couple of exceptions (like Call of Duty, which the core love using)
The numbers have been posted numerous times. I'm starting to suspect you simply ignore them.

And?

Comparing a $20k+ product to a sub $.5k- product does not give credibility to your argument. it's like comparing a peanut to a watermelon.

So there are no third party Wii games, you deem worthy of owning ? Funny you are so vocal that Wii owners don't pick up the same game you do not pick up.
This has got to be the absolute lamest argument ever. EVER. People do not buy systems because of a third party game that looks interesting. People buy systems because of "system seller" games. For example, no one buys a 360 because of Crackdown or Fable, but they do buy one because of Halo.

But I'll go as far as saying I don't think there is a single third party Wii title worth owning, because every one of them uses the lame motion controls that I really got tired of a week after owning the Wii.
( Last edited by jokell82; May 20, 2009 at 06:42 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 07:51 AM

That upcoming PS3 slim doesn't look bad and at last says bye bye to that fugly spiderman font.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

Yes i do realize that the PS2 has over a 100% lead over the GCN+XBOX combined. And so far this generation the Wii has an installed base equal to the combined base of XB360+PS3.
No, the Wii does not have a larger install base than the other consoles combined.

The PS2 has been on sale for a good 5 more years than the current generation console....i assume you know that.
...and that has had little impact on the dominance they already had on the last gen. I don't see what you're getting at.

Yeah and the same dudes said that RE4 would never run on a PS2. I guess porting the game down to the PS2 solved that problem.... which is arguably not the *same* game. but hey.... never-mind what they said and did, lets take their latest comment at face value to justify our arguments.
I'll let jokell, who must know what you're talking about, speak for me here:
Incorrect. Here's what IGN said in their PS2 review of the game:
"at one point game director Shinji Mikami himself said he'd cut his head off if it was ported to another system"

That is quite a bit different from saying a system is technically incapable of ever running the game. And Capcom had announced the PS2 port before the GCN version was even released. And they were able to improve the PS2 version (it ran in true widescreen whereas the GCN version was letterboxed, and they added an entire chapter to the game).

It's called the NPD numbers we post every month. Followed by the dissection we provide on some games (Ex: MadWorld).

Your point? MIne was that the Wii long ago ceased to be dominated by hardcore fans.

*facepalm* Do you really not understand that this has no bearing in a discussion about objective numbers?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
That upcoming PS3 slim doesn't look bad and at last says bye bye to that fugly spiderman font.
Ha, other people have commented on that too.

I can't speak to the new design with any finality, but in the early going the PS2 slim was much, much sexier.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 11:44 AM

Perfect Timing: High Voltage: The Conduit Different From Other Core Sega Wii Titles

High Voltage chief creative officer Eric Nofsinger explains why The Conduit won't suffer the same poor sales as Sega's other core Wii titles, MadWorld and The House of the Dead: Overkill.

Both MadWorld and The House of the Dead received praise from game reviewers, but the sales for both titles we rather abysmal, especially when considering the Wii's massive install base. Speaking to VideoGamer.com, Nofsinger explains why High Voltage isn't concerned about suffering the same fate with The Conduit.

"This is something that gets brought up quite a lot," he said, "but we're not concerned at all. Those games, and you can point to a few others as well… I think they're great games, but they're mature games. I think there's a nomenclature that you need to be certain on. Those games are gory and they are aesthetically niche. They're boutique games. They're great games and I love them, however I know that they're not accessible and they're not the kind of titles that are going to tap into both core and mainstream [audiences].

But what does Nofsinger mean by core and accessible?
"When I say that we're core, I mean that we have a level of detail and depth and customisation and variety that core gamers demand. When I say that we're accessible and that we're also aiming for the mainstream, that is why we specifically chose the art style we did, and the setting. The theme is very much in the mindset of going for that Hollywood blockbuster feel.

If you ask me, the main difference lies in the ratings, at least in North America. There's a world of difference between a T-rating and an M-rating, especially on the Wii.
I think I agree with him, particularly after Totillo's analysis of the NPD numbers from April. That said, I'm not expecting this to be a blockbuster.
( Last edited by Dakar V; May 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 20, 2009, 12:02 PM

I also remember how the original Rock Band on the Wii had to be a PS2 port, because the technology was just not there for the 'real' XB360/PS3 experience..... tell that to the Guitar Hero guys.
If you are comparing a port of Rockband vs. Resident Evil, I just don't know what to say. From a hardware point of view the Wii is no where in the area of comparison of the XBox or the PS3. Any game that is going for a realistic atmosphere pushing the graphics is not going to work the same. So from a creative stand point a developer will evaluate before neutering their game. The closest thing to a realistic atmosphere is probably Dead Space Wii, but most don't know that version was originally done for the PSP, and its not even real time, it's on rails.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 20, 2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If you are comparing a port of Rockband vs. Resident Evil, I just don't know what to say. From a hardware point of view the Wii is no where in the area of comparison of the XBox or the PS3. Any game that is going for a realistic atmosphere pushing the graphics is not going to work the same. So from a creative stand point a developer will evaluate before neutering their game. The closest thing to a realistic atmosphere is probably Dead Space Wii, but most don't know that version was originally done for the PSP, and its not even real time, it's on rails.
Dead Space Wii is a port? That sucks, because now Hawkeye won't allow himself to buy it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 10:55 AM

Kotaku - Sony's E3 Promises, One Year Later - E3

To Sum Up....Wow. We are humbled by the accuracy of Mr. Jack Tretton. We'd almost give him and Sony an A. Except... almost none of these were big guesses that were hard-to-believe, were they? Microsoft reached a little further, got a couple more wrong.... That evens out. Sony, you get a B.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not to mention no console at the time could even do real 3D nor had an analog controller. N64 was the first with both. When the Playstation came out it didn't get an analog controller till a few years later.

With the ton of 3D games on Windows at the time, they would have made it to the console at some point as they matured. Just a year or two ago we had the big debate of keyboard vs controller being a major issue for consoles and 3d gaming. Now its never even a debate anymore.
Let's stop with the analog stick crap. The Odyssey 2 had one in 1976.

The PS1 did real 3D.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 02:13 AM

Are you sure about that? According to Wikipedia, the Odyssey 2 was released in 1978 and came bundled with two 8-way digital joysticks.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 22, 2009, 04:19 AM

The PS1 did real 3D.
Yes, of course the PS1 did real 3D. What I ment was the N64 had 3D support AND analog controller together first. The PS1 came out first but didn't get the first Dualshock controller till '99, 3 years after launch.

8 way digital controller

My point on this was the Dualshock on the PS1 was really the first control scheme to get close to a keyboard mouse setup, but was still considered slow when playing games like Unreal/Quake style games were the action was fast and needed split second reaction time.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 06:21 AM

And then there is the Forbes point of view, What Makes A Wii Game Great:

Last year's most acclaimed games were "Grand Theft Auto IV," "Fallout 3," "Gears Of War 2," "Bioshock" and "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots." The common denominator: None of them are available on the best-selling console, the Nintendo Wii.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
And then there is the Forbes point of view, What Makes A Wii Game Great:

Last year's most acclaimed games were "Grand Theft Auto IV," "Fallout 3," "Gears Of War 2," "Bioshock" and "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots." The common denominator: None of them are available on the best-selling console, the Nintendo Wii.
They're are also all M rated games.

It's not a bad article, but I do challenge what seems to be a notion that story-telling and gameplay are exclusive (or at the very least, story telling has to take a back seat). GTA, BioShock, and MGS are all heavily story driven games.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 09:54 AM

WTF?
The countdown timer on Kojima Productions' teaser site for its next project -- launched one week ago today -- has reached zero, revealing ... another countdown!
How does this make any sense? I'm guessing this concept is a cheap attempt at driving hits? (Though for what purpose really) This is the side of industry where I'm glad for leaks and rumors, because fans getting jerked around deserve to know its MGS5.

Kotaku - Counting Down to An Announcement Of An Announcement - night note
Exactly.

---

As timely as ever: Kotaku - Capcom "Considering" More Wii Ports - Resident Evil 5

While highlighting stronger-than-expected sales of Resident Evil 5, Abe says "We have not decided whether we are doing it or not doing it". "It" being releasing 360 & PS3 games on the Wii. Not decided?

He follows that with "Up until now, after releasing our PS3 and Xbox 360 games, we have brought them to the Wii. Basically, this is the approach we are considering taking."
More interesting is the comments section where there seems to be a genuine split between Wii owners who would like to see a port, and others who would rather just have an original game built from scratch just for them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2009, 09:58 AM

It's not a bad article, but I do challenge what seems to be a notion that story-telling and gameplay are exclusive (or at the very least, story telling has to take a back seat). GTA, BioShock, and MGS are all heavily story driven games.
Agreed. BioShock without its story is just a crappy FPS. The story is what makes the game what it is.

I do agree with the article that the Wii is definitely focused on more casual (read: pick up and play for 5 minutes) games, and I like that they could only mention first party titles when talking about the successful Wii games.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 10:02 AM

Agreed. BioShock without its story is just a crappy FPS. The story is what makes the game what it is.

I do agree with the article that the Wii is definitely focused on more casual (read: pick up and play for 5 minutes) games, and I like that they could only mention first party titles when talking about the successful Wii games.
Exactly. Everyone knows Nintendo does great gameplay. And there's nothing wrong with pick up and play. The problem is finding something deeper.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 11:02 AM

Any of you racers out there have some thoughts on FUEL? I admit my interest is piqued at the idea of 5500 square mile map, but I definitely have reservations as to it being quality, rather than just gimmicky.

Fuel sets Guinness record as biggest console game ever

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2009, 01:29 PM

To me it's either the Gran Turismo series or the Forza series.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 01:39 PM

Sounds like you're a big sim fan.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

Nope, sounds like he's too scared to play Burnout Paradise with us.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2009, 02:36 PM

Well, I joined the 360 owners club 2 weeks ago (yay for tax refunds!). Got 4 games for it so far; L4D, Mass Effect, Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Castle Crashers (via Live).

More to be purchased, eventually.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2009, 02:38 PM

Did it Red Ring yet?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 22, 2009, 05:07 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2009, 02:32 AM

Sounds like you're a big sim fan.
I like my racing games like I like my women. Sterile and precise.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2009, 06:17 AM

Well, it is the Forbes… saying it is not a bad article is mostly a compliment.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2009, 09:14 AM

Apparently we've hit countdown #3 on the Kojima site.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2009, 12:03 PM

Thursday News Bukkakke

Kotaku - So, Just How Many Games Come Out At Christmas Time? - Eedar

Winning shovelware quarterss, 2 and 4.

---

Kotaku - Tecmo Bowl Wii Transformed Into Something Else - Tecmo Bowl

Wii trends have turned a planned Tecmo Bowl Wii into a family football game, according to G4.

Tecmo recently announced the development of Family Fun Football for the Wii, a title that sounds perfectly in line with the jolly kinds of games many publishers produce for NIntendo's console.

But wasn't there supposed to be a Tecmo Bowl being made for the Wii? A DS iteration was released last year, after all.

The Wii projects are one and the same project, it turns out. Family Friendly is what has become of the remake of Tecmo Bowl, a company spokesperson told G4:

"As much as we'd like to say this [Family Fun Football] is a completely different game, it did start out as the 'Tecmo Bowl Wii' project... However, given the recent trend on the Wii and its target audience, Tecmo made a business decision to switch the project into a family oriented football game."
---

Nintendo's Rob Lowe discusses casual versus core product cycles

In an interview with Casualgaming.biz, Nintendo UK product manager Rob Lowe was asked if the casual, family-friendly gamer has become more valuable to the video games industry than the core gamer. "There is clear room for both and any publisher can demonstrate clear value in both casual and hard core," he responded, suggesting Nintendo sees the benefit of having titles aimed at both markets. A fair assessment from the company who reigns supreme in the hardware sales charts.

According to Lowe, casual and core software have the same ability to sell, but each at a different pace. While core titles usually sell well within a short time, casual games have a better ability to sell consistently throughout their lifespan on the store shelf.

"For every Carnival Games there is a BioShock and for every Wii Fit there is a Resident Evil 5," Lowe said. "It's really just different product cycle." A strong argument, even if Lowe couldn't name two recently released core titles on his own platform.
---

Kotaku - Xbox 360: More Than 30 Million Served - Xbox 360

Microsoft has announced that global sales of the Xbox 360 have now surpassed the 30 million mark, with the Xbox Live community swelling to 20 million active members, all swearing at each other.

On the software side of things, the Xbox 360 has generated $5.9 billion in sales for third-party developers to date, which according to the NPD group is more than the PlayStation 3 and Wii combined.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 09:34 AM

Query:

Brutal Legend – Does anyone here give a sh¡t?

In the time I spend on gaming news sites the past few months it seems like its getting a crapton of coverage.
Honestly, I don't even know what its actually about. Something about music and an annoying looking lead.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 10:16 AM

Query:

Brutal Legend – Does anyone here give a sh¡t?

In the time I spend on gaming news sites the past few months it seems like its getting a crapton of coverage.
Honestly, I don't even know what its actually about. Something about music and an annoying looking lead.
Not in the slightest. Totally Rad Show gave quite a bit of coverage to the game last week, too.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 01:29 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 02:36 PM

Anyone watching the Microsoft press conference? Bungie was just on stage demoing ODST (looks awesome). The guy was about to announce Bungie's next project when the damn feed went out. Does anyone know what it was?

edit: Looks like they're releasing a Halo prequel in 2010 call Halo Reach. AWESOME!!!!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 02:50 PM

last.fm, facebook, & twitter to XBOX Live. Jesus christ.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 03:16 PM

XBL video store will be overhauled. 1080p videos will be available for purchase in the fall. (You hear that Apple?!) Netflix is getting updated too with the ability to add movies and edit rental queues. An instant play button will be available.

Live party is also coming back, allowing players to watch video and music even if they're not in the same room. They will do so with their avatars on screen, Mystery Science Theater 3000-style.

Forum Links
Forum Rules