Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Really guys? Really?

Really guys? Really?
reallymacnn
Baninated
Oct 9, 2010, 12:06 PM

You permabanned me, while I was adhering to the rules of your temp ban? Because why exactly?

What rule did I break, exactly? In car threads, there are certain people who constantly argue with me, no matter what I say. When other people share the same opinion as myself, they are ignored by these certain people. But when I say something, they attack. So I find myself in a position to elaborate, and defend my original position. And I do. But they don't stop. They still act like I'm some raging idiot. I'm not, and again defend my positions and opinions with facts, links, and rational thought (at least I'm try to make it rational).

But then you permaban me? Why?

I have been fairly civil. I have been fairly respectful. True, sek, I did at your comment, because it was so far from the truth it was actually funny. It is an accepted automotive truth that manuals are more reliable. Fewer parts, no computers, and no scheduled fluid changes. Hence, your comment was hilarious.

But I'm really not seeing how I was in anyway more "out of line" than a vast portion of members on here. I have not been baiting, verbally abusive, and I'm trying to be a positive person.

I'm going to respect my ban until the 11th, but then I'm coming back. Why? I disagree with your decision. It doesn't make any sense.

Peace,

- Rob

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2010, 12:26 PM

and you’ll just keep getting baninated. As per the other thread, you were never officially unbaninated in the first place. In other words, you’re not welcomed here.

You really are just causing headaches for the staff ect. Show SOME respect/higher level of restraint for once please.

Thank you.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Oct 9, 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: consistency.)

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
and you’ll just keep getting baninated. As per the other thread, you were never officially unbanned in the first place.

shouldn't that be "unbaninated"? please, try to show SOME consistency

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2010, 04:49 PM

fine, fine. above post edited.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by reallymacnn View Post
I have been fairly civil. I have been fairly respectful. True, sek, I did at your comment, because it was so far from the truth it was actually funny. It is an accepted automotive truth that manuals are more reliable. Fewer parts, no computers, and no scheduled fluid changes. Hence, your comment was hilarious.
For future reference here is how someone, that isn't a teenage girl, would reply to my statement.

"Ha! That's definitely not true. For these reasons....."

You know, like how Laminar replied to me. He also said I was wrong, but somehow didn't come off like a pompous ass while doing so. Interesting eh?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2010, 07:05 PM

I guess to post this you broke the rules of your ban, didn't you?

It's obvious from your post that you don't understand how the internet, or the real world works.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2010, 08:18 PM

But I'm really not seeing how I was in anyway more "out of line" than a vast portion of members on here.
Who else here was previously permabanned and then allowed back in? Oh right, nobody. The same rules don't apply to you.

The simple fact that you earned even a single infraction shows that you STILL refuse to behave. You can try and blame others for pushing your buttons, but you are still responsible for what you type and who you reply to. You could have simply put people on ignore and been a bigger man, but you don't have it in you to be non-confrontational.
I have not been baiting, verbally abusive, and I'm trying to be a positive person.
You pulled this off for a few months, but the old Rob slowly came back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 9, 2010, 08:36 PM

I'm going to respect my ban until the 11th, but then I'm coming back. Why? I disagree with your decision. It doesn't make any sense.
That will show 'em!

Peace
There is, now that you're gone.

It baffles me as to why someone would continue trying to pester a community where he or she is clearly not welcome. We made memes out of his ridiculous "I read a book about it" and "manual transmissions are better" rants, and he was openly mocked in the Feedback forum.

Rob always complains about how MacNN isn't cool anymore and how it's totally lame now. So leave! There are no shortage of forums on the internet (full of people dying to get their hands on a manual-transmissioned anything, of course), find some place where acting the way you do is acceptable and welcome (/b/ anyone?).

Your incessant narcissism and snobbery is not welcome here.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It baffles me as to why someone would continue trying to pester a community where he or she is clearly not welcome.
The same mentality that has to prove the same point in four different threads simultaneously.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Who else here was previously permabanned and then allowed back in? Oh right, nobody. The same rules don't apply to you.
bstone.

Banninated between 2007 sand 2010, and officially granted back in.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2010, 10:29 PM

bstone was allowed back with a bunch of stipulations (none of your personal concern) and with a lot of other issues handled. He was banned for being unable to maintain his cool in the PWL. You'll notice he's not posting there a lot, right? On the other hand, Rob couldn't handle keeping his cool anywhere. Big difference.

Note that bstone is the ONLY banned member we've technically allowed back, and it's been something we've monitored closely. Oh and look! He's not made himself a pain. At all. Imagine that. Oh yes, and he didn't come up with scores of sock puppets and ban evading handles, either. Like Rob's mix of silly, abusive, rude and (theoretically) stealthy handles. And this one. "More in sorrow than in anger" is how I'm reading the tone of this handle. Like MacNN is his to play with. Which is not correct.

Turtle, the only thing Rob has managed to bring to us over the last several months is aggravation and drama. And picking nits in this discussion won't help anything or anyone. Rob behaved as if NO rules applied to him-at least none that he could weasel around and dodge a little. He decreased the effectiveness of the entire MacNN forums structure because of the amount of crap he dropped in the Lounge and the amount of distraction that stuff caused. It was his continued flaunting of rules, and his calculated, measured effort to stay JUST UNDER the level of ticking off everyone all at the same time (but not enough to keep from ticking off a whole lot of people all at once).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Turtle, the only thing Rob has managed to bring to us over the last several months is aggravation and drama. And picking nits in this discussion won't help anything or anyone. Rob behaved as if NO rules applied to him-at least none that he could weasel around and dodge a little. He decreased the effectiveness of the entire MacNN forums structure because of the amount of crap he dropped in the Lounge and the amount of distraction that stuff caused. It was his continued flaunting of rules, and his calculated, measured effort to stay JUST UNDER the level of ticking off everyone all at the same time (but not enough to keep from ticking off a whole lot of people all at once).
Look, I don't disagree with any of that.

Rob showed that he had changed a bit, but not enough to not be disruptive.

Not knowing what went on behind the scene, here's my last 2 cents on this:

I think he should have been told from the get go that he was closely watched, held to a very high standard, and *ANY* sign of disruption should have been followed with immediate infractions.

That would have resulted in numerous temp-bans, no doubt.

I think Rob would have respected this. At least, more than a wishy-washy-pseudo-you're-still-banned-but-still allowed-to-post-until-we-reconsider.

At any rate, I know you mods do a great job, and this was a tough one to handle.
I might not agree with every single decision, but you are keeping this a pleasent forum

[/2cents]

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2010, 10:54 PM

I’m sure the phone calls a long time ago between macnn staff, and rob included the fact that he would be watched, and on a short leash.

Just guessing.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2010, 03:17 AM

This thread made me think of a question...

I am guessing that one way to ban a user is by an IP ban. If someone used a program like Tor/Vidalia to bypass an IP ban and register an account , would they be blocked immediately just because of the fact they were connecting via the Tor network?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 07:58 AM

I think it's funny that he's surprised about this. Is Rob really that dense?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2010, 08:52 AM

Is there a way to make it so that all posts from user X get automatically hidden, except to user X? So if X posts, he thinks he's published his usual masterpiece, whereas all it would be is a tree falling in the forest.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Is there a way to make it so that all posts from user X get automatically hidden, except to user X? So if X posts, he thinks he's published his usual masterpiece, whereas all it would be is a tree falling in the forest.
Judging by his signature, it'll only take him 10 months to figure out.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2010, 11:13 AM

Urban Dictionary: Tachy Goes To Coventry

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2010, 11:30 AM

What an extraordinarily logical and relevant name for such a function.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 10, 2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by auto_immune View Post
I am guessing that one way to ban a user is by an IP ban. If someone used a program like Tor/Vidalia to bypass an IP ban and register an account , would they be blocked immediately just because of the fact they were connecting via the Tor network?
An IP ban works against a location rather than a user. The user would not be able to access the forums from that location, but their account would still be enabled.

We do not specifically block TOR exits. A few have gotten blocked after a spammer used nearby IPs. We unblock as necessary for any legit user.

The way things are going with online privacy, we may all need TOR eventually.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 10, 2010, 03:26 PM

That seems like the perfect solution for someone that feeds on attention.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by subego;
Utterly awesome. For those of you not familiar with Britishisms, 'being sent to Coventry' means being moved out of harm's way, usually due to a misdemeanor of some sort or other, without actually being fired.

If this function exists, why has nobody thought about implementing it in this particular case? It seems like a perfect solution.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2010, 01:14 AM

Haven’t ya been paying attention? ;P He can change his settings at will. Use it on one name with one address, he becomes wise, he changes settings/names, then staff have to do the procedure again. Endless loop.

Unless I’m missing something.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 06:12 AM

You are. With this setting invoked, he would never know he was invisible.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 07:10 AM

He'd suspect it, though, if nobody ever responded to him.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2010, 09:14 AM

When he knows his posts and replies stay, there's incentive to continue. When he figures out that all of his hard work is in vain, it might quell his desires to keep coming back.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 10:03 AM

You apply the Coventry filter again and again. That way the onus to figure it out would be on him, every single time. Surely boredom would win.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 11, 2010, 08:47 PM

I have suspicions that I have been Sent To Coventry.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I have suspicions that I have been Sent To Coventry.
It's OK. We still see you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
It's OK. We still see you.
Whom are you replying to?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 13, 2010, 12:52 AM

Thanks AKcrab. Boy I sure do miss Speric Harlot. Seems like he hasn't posted in forever!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2010, 01:18 AM

Now Rob is just a MacNN meme. That was probably his goal all along

facethefacts68
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 04:57 AM

PS: Get ****ed.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2011, 12:30 PM

Is this the same "Rob" that was getting in trouble 3 or 4 YEARS AGO??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 12:56 PM

Try ten years. Noob.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2011, 05:10 PM

Oy! I remember him. He was "Cash" back in the day, and mad as a hatter. I guess some folks just can't let go.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Oy! I remember him. He was "Cash" back in the day, and mad as a hatter. I guess some folks just can't let go.
You mean like moderators who ban me over doing nothing wrong, and just expressing my opinion on vehicles? Yeah, they just can't let go.

Meanwhile, I don't agree with their inconsistencies so I will refuse to acknowledge their decisions.

Cheers!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by DuhMacNN View Post
You mean like moderators who ban me over doing nothing wrong, and just expressing my opinion on vehicles? Yeah, they just can't let go.

Meanwhile, I don't agree with their inconsistencies so I will refuse to acknowledge their decisions.

Cheers!
Cool story bro.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 02:04 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 02:26 AM

Don't you have to be at least thirteen to sign up for this forum?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2011, 06:33 AM

The date on a birth certificate is no guarantee that the holder of that certificate (long or short form!) actually behaves in accordance with that date. True story. Look at our recent crop of political stupidity (Mr. Weiner is a prime example) of such lack of relation between calendar age and behavior.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 07:25 AM

Poop

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2011, 08:49 AM

FACE THE FACTS allcaps

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Poop
Did the mods clear your poop filter ? Why ? Is poop now suddenly back in vogue ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Did the mods clear your bribe filter ? Why ? Is bribe now suddenly back in vogue ?

-t

No, I just discovered that Poop with a capital "P" eludes the filters, which amuses me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:59 AM

OIC.

What took you so long to figure it out ?

Btw, should I report you, because clearly, you are knowingly violating a mod decision.
Others have been banned for that.

Maybe you have pictures of the mods in compromising positions with farm animals. That would explain.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
OIC.

What took you so long to figure it out ?

Btw, should I report you, because clearly, you are knowingly violating a mod decision.
Others have been banned for that.

Maybe you have pictures of the mods in compromising positions with farm animals. That would explain.

-t

How often do you capitalize that word?

I really don't get the interest/obsession with fussing over the mod rules and policies and stuff. What is in place is working adequately for our small community, the problems we have in increasing our size are not rules based.

I like the community this size anyway. I waste enough time here as it is.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 12:12 PM

(How did I miss this post?)

Utterly awesome. For those of you not familiar with Britishisms, 'being sent to Coventry' means being moved out of harm's way, usually due to a misdemeanor of some sort or other, without actually being fired.
No it doesn't. "Being sent to Coventry" means "being ignored by everyone" - it's the Brit equivalent of an Amish shunning.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules