Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merom MBPs in September

Merom MBPs in September
dillbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 05:00 PM

outthere
Aug 11, 2006, 06:24 PM

yahoooooooooooo
un jour,

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 09:16 PM

That is exciting, I can't wait.
Edit: Nice first post, and welcome to MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2006, 10:04 PM

Still not holding my breath. But it is promising...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 10:32 PM

I'm starting to believe
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 10:49 PM

such a great time to upgrade my 1ghz tipb. this september time it will be

Alex

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 11:04 PM

2nd Tuesday of September is the release date.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2006, 11:33 PM

sweet! looks like i will be upgrading also come september time. but im also attached to my last gen 15'' powerbook.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 02:01 AM

Apart from the fact that what they claim as an inside 'rumor' is what many here expect anyway, isn't Digitimes' track record about as fubar as MOSR's?
•

shecky
Aug 12, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
such a great time to upgrade my 1ghz tipb. this september time it will be

Alex
i have the same machine, so i am ready also.

evisa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj
2nd Tuesday of September is the release date.
Is that an official statement?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 06:13 AM

2nd Tuesday of September is the alledged release date.
fixed.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 09:54 AM

I think I will stick with my PowerBook 5300cs for now

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 10:41 AM

The only interesting bit to this rumor is the Macbook's going Merom around the same time as the MBPs. If the MBs get a proc upgrade at the same time as the MBPs, I hope Apple does something more to the MBPs to justify the extra grand other than a GPU!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2006, 10:53 AM

I'll wait for a blu-ray burner 32x, 1080 screen, and core 10 extreme, then I'll get a MBP .
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 01:12 PM

Tuesday September 12, 2006.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2006, 01:22 PM

Would you mind repeating that again? I think we didn't get it the first two times.

•

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 01:51 PM

Some are lazy to look on calenders, like myself, so I thought I would do them a favour.LOL

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 06:09 PM

Tuesday September 12, 2006.
Huh. I heard that they were going to be released on the 2nd Tuesday in September...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

outthere
Aug 12, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Huh. I heard that they were going to be released on the 2nd Tuesday in September...
yup, its 12 sept.
LOL
un jour,

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 11:33 PM

I don't get the whole Sept 12 Joke... sorry.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 10:02 AM

Has any other PC manufacturer announced laptops with Core 2 Duo (Merom) yet? With Apple using Intel now, the downside is that Apple has to complete with all the PC manufactirers to be amongst the first to use the new chips from Intel.

So I think it depends how soon HP and Dell will announce their Core 2 Duo laptop offering... if any manufactor announce within the next week or 2, then Apple will probably won't wait until 12 September...

Can someone explain to me the significance of 2nd Tuesday of September (12 September) thing???

Nuks
Aug 13, 2006, 10:36 AM

Macworld Paris, if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am..).

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nuks
Macworld Paris, if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am..).
Correct, although it's specifically called "Apple expo" (it doesn't have anything to do with Macworld).

http://www.apple-expo.com/

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
Has any other PC manufacturer announced laptops with Core 2 Duo (Merom) yet? With Apple using Intel now, the downside is that Apple has to complete with all the PC manufactirers to be amongst the first to use the new chips from Intel.

So I think it depends how soon HP and Dell will announce their Core 2 Duo laptop offering... if any manufactor announce within the next week or 2, then Apple will probably won't wait until 12 September...

Can someone explain to me the significance of 2nd Tuesday of September (12 September) thing???
A lot of PC manufacturers don't have special announcements or events when they update their product lines; at most you'll see them issue a press release if they do actually release an entirely new model or product line. The expectation with PC manufacturers is just that sometime in late August or early September they'll update their models and they'll start showing up in stores and/or online around that time period.

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 13, 2006, 11:36 PM

Sweet I just bought the macbook 15" when it came out, I'm ready for the 64bit chip. I doubt it will be much faster unless the actual clock speed is faster. Very few applications today can make use of 64bit processors in a way that makes them any faster than a 32bit processor.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
...Very few applications today can make use of 64bit processors in a way that makes them any faster than a 32bit processor.
But when we buy a box we buy for 2006 AUG through 2010 or longer. As such, statements like "few applications today can make use of" really do not mean much. Today is largely irrelevant, tomorrow is what matters. Folks buying a box today should very much care about 2007+ apps that may be 64 bit only.

markclausing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 04:05 AM

why would an application be 64bit only? that would be ridiculous. I don't know any app now that needs 2Gb of ram for itself, so I think 4Gb as a minimum is a long way off still...
http://www.prinshendrikkade.com
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 2Gb 100Gb 256Mb

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by markclausing
why would an application be 64bit only? that would be ridiculous. I don't know any app now that needs 2Gb of ram for itself, so I think 4Gb as a minimum is a long way off still...
Well, Mathematica for a start! And it's likely that Matlab will need 64-bit pretty soon...

I am not saying everyone needs Mathematica or Matlab on their new Mac, but for scientific applications 64-bit is pretty normal requirements.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by markclausing
Count on many graphics apps (plus the OS) prefering well in excess of 2 GB of RAM in the immediate future. Already Photoshop will use 4 GB and shows improvement up to 8 GB of RAM on board, and that is the old pre-MacIntel, pre-Leopard version; PSCS3 due in April will almost assuredly be able to take advantage of even more RAM.

It's not necessarily so much about "needing 64 bit," it is that historically apps have evolved to take advantage of the latest hardware version. Ergo now that that a full 64 bit hardware implementation is available some developers will develop specifically for it.

-Allen Wicks

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 14, 2006, 02:09 PM

I think I'm gonna wait till Santa Rosa and Leopard to upadate

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 02:33 PM

is the change from the core duo to the Core Duo2 different enough to be considered a ver. A, when Apple does ramp the Macbook and Macbook Pro.

thanks
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by real
is the change from the core duo to the Core Duo2 different enough to be considered a ver. A, when Apple does ramp the Macbook and Macbook Pro.

thanks
real
I vote yes.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 03:23 AM

The reason I'm waiting for the Merom MBP s not for the Merom, but due to the fact the original MBPs had so many problems, and that I hope the Merom MBP gets a case redesign. its only a month or so to wait - so I can hold out...
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 04:08 AM

Wouldn't the new merom chips eat more battery life?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006, 06:14 AM

From what I've read you'll get roughly 20% more performance on the same battery as the Yonah:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2808&p=15

There are other sites around with similar benchmarks. Looks like a nice upgrade. Here's hoping they re-do the case at the same time...

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
The reason I'm waiting for the Merom MBP s not for the Merom, but due to the fact the original MBPs had so many problems, and that I hope the Merom MBP gets a case redesign. its only a month or so to wait - so I can hold out...
There might be some improvements to the manufacturing and assembly process (in fact, I get the impression that they already have been taking care of a lot of those issues), but it seems really unlikely that a new case design will be coming just yet. The whole big deal about Merom is that all Apple needs to do is just slap a Merom in place of the Yonah and everything will work fine.

You're only going to be disappointing yourself if you are really counting on a full case redesign as well.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Elektrix
You're only going to be disappointing yourself if you are really counting on a full case redesign as well.
Never underestimate Apple's ability to surprise people with product announcment!

fuzzball963
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 11:11 AM

The only downside to this is I have to have a laptop by Aug 21 which means I"ll be stuck with the original MBP and not able to get the Merom MBP if the rumors of its launch in September bear fruit . I'll still be happy with the original but I would like the merom one .

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzball963
The only downside to this is I have to have a laptop by Aug 21 which means I"ll be stuck with the original MBP and not able to get the Merom MBP if the rumors of its launch in September bear fruit . I'll still be happy with the original but I would like the merom one .
Why do you have to have one by the 21st? If its for college I'm sure you can make do for just a few weeks in a computer lab or something--what did you submit this post on? Unless you're traveling to Iraq or something where you can't get one.

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 11:32 AM

too bad they don't have a 30 day money back gaurentee...can buy now, return when I hear about the new mbp being announced

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
Never underestimate Apple's ability to surprise people with product announcment!
It would be awesome if Apple could deliver a new case design in the next rev. - if only to match the Macbook's ease of use when swapping out a HD [ok, it's not HARD, but you know what I mean] - so yeah, here's hoping...

I need a new laptop for school for my webdesign (Parallels will help too with optimizing sites and seeing how they look in Mac/Windows world)... but if push comes to shove I'll bite the bullet and get the merom based MBP...

golden_zap
Aug 15, 2006, 02:03 PM

hmm they should release this before school starts. because before september, there's hundreds of students looking for laptops. but that decision isn't up to me so.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Elektrix
Do you really think Apple would let niceties such as a user upgradeable HD, more easily upgradeable RAM, and a magnetic latch just pass their Pro machines by?

I think not. Now that they have the ability to more easily distinguish their Pro and Consumer machines, I think the MBP is due for a major internal component reshuffling and some other nice external stuff like a magnetic latch.

Although I do agree that there's not going to be anything major in the case redesign department. A MagLatch is the most I'm hoping for there.
Linkinus is king.

outthere
Aug 15, 2006, 02:18 PM

un jour,

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 07:57 PM

I wonder how 'high security' it is... More security may = big changes, while little security = simple speed bump. But if they don't want anyone looking at boxes nor is it a 'quiet' upgrade... hmmm... But you could say 'hmmmm...' about any rumor site.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by golden_zap
hmm they should release this before school starts. because before september, there's hundreds of students looking for laptops. but that decision isn't up to me so.
Students can afford $1799 laptops? I sure can't.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 15, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Students can afford $1799 laptops? I sure can't.

it is mommy and daddy that can afford it. Trust me, I have seen so many incoming freshman carry out MBP form the bookstore I was in awe

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD
I wonder how 'high security' it is... More security may = big changes, while little security = simple speed bump. But if they don't want anyone looking at boxes nor is it a 'quiet' upgrade... hmmm... But you could say 'hmmmm...' about any rumor site.
There is nothing in the article to substantiate the "high security" claim.
Any shipment of multi-thousand dollar computers isn't going to be treated like scrap steel, but I doubt there is any special security.

shecky
Aug 15, 2006, 09:16 PM

a lot of schools have them as requirements (my alma mater has a laptop requirement program depending on your major, which for this year's design students is a decked out 15" macbook pro)

Forum Links
Forum Rules