Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > My StarMax won't boot either

My StarMax won't boot either
-1984-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 12:14 PM

Like a previous poster (justthefacts), I have a StarMax that won't boot from any CD other than its original 7.5 disk. We have tried OS8.1 and 8.5. Holding down the C key doesn't work; neither does selecting the CD as the StartUp Disk. I noticed that the StarMax original system disk has a CD-ROM extension in its System Folder, but the Apple disks do not. Could this be why? The CD in the StarMax is a Hitachi, the drive originally in the computer.

Like the previous poster, I'd like to upgrade to HFS+, but I can't without booting off a CD. Any help, suggestions, etc.?

What about creating a disk image of HD Setup on a floppy? How can I put a system on it so it'll boot?
Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

<Tryin' to remember...>
Oct 25, 2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by -1984-:
<STRONG>Like a previous poster (justthefacts), I have a StarMax that won't boot from any CD other than its original 7.5 disk. We have tried OS8.1 and 8.5. Holding down the C key doesn't work; neither does selecting the CD as the StartUp Disk. I noticed that the StarMax original system disk has a CD-ROM extension in its System Folder, but the Apple disks do not. Could this be why? The CD in the StarMax is a Hitachi, the drive originally in the computer.

Like the previous poster, I'd like to upgrade to HFS+, but I can't without booting off a CD. Any help, suggestions, etc.?

What about creating a disk image of HD Setup on a floppy? How can I put a system on it so it'll boot?</STRONG>

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 08:14 AM

Try an external drive.. HD, zip etc.
You might have luck swapping in an old Mac CD-ROM in place of the Hitachi also. Just a guess tho, I have no experience with clones.

Zack

-1984-  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 10:01 AM

I thought about trying that, but it's an IDE drive, and all I have lying around are SCSI. I'm going to try HD Set Up on a floppy this weekend. I'll post results.
Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

Forum Links
Forum Rules