Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > best format to save to send off to printers? eps, psd, jpg, tif, pdf

best format to save to send off to printers? eps, psd, jpg, tif, pdf
nycdunz
Senior User
Nov 6, 2006, 01:27 PM

if you guys were a prinetr company, service bureau, what would you recommend the finalize file format be and why? i am just wondering what the best format to save my file to before sending of fto print, if there is one that is... or is it all personal preference?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2006, 02:42 PM

I have done a little reading on this topic and I believe TIFFs and photoshop files are close to lossless in terms of image quality.

I am sure someone else will chime in here in a bit and correct me if I am wrong...
Joe

th3ph17
Nov 7, 2006, 01:02 PM

my answer is always the same, Ask the printer. i love getting pdf's, but only if they are made properly.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:11 PM

How is a "proper" PDF made?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

th3ph17
Nov 7, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
How is a "proper" PDF made?
hi res images, no font issues, actually checked to make sure the gradient filled aqua sphere's drop shadow hasn't turned into a collection of random things.

pdf's we get [magazine] are turned into TIFF's though, and then put into InDesign, then PDF'd for our printer with their specs.

we get a lot of pdf's not set up properly for our page size, bleed, etc....you would be amazed at how many professional [that should be in finger quotes] designers read our specs and then email us a low-res 8.5x11 pdf...when what we want is an 8.875x11.375 doc properly set up for bleed, safe area and our folio (page information).

That is why i always say ask the printer. Or the publishing company [me] that deals with the printer. We love to give you our specs:

Full Page Ad with Bleed
8.875” x 11.375”
(text & non-bleeding images
must be .75” from edge)

simple, yeah? you would be surprised.

andi*pandi
Nov 8, 2006, 12:13 PM

well, if I were reading those specs I'd want to know if you meant "trim size" vs trimsize plus bleeds. I've read many magazine specs that mix up the two or make it otherwise confusing.

but asking the printer is best.

th3ph17
Nov 9, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
well, if I were reading those specs I'd want to know if you meant "trim size" vs trimsize plus bleeds. I've read many magazine specs that mix up the two or make it otherwise confusing.

but asking the printer is best.
the actual spec sheet itself also has little illustrations and further requirements for useable area, etc...i didn't want to go toooo overboard in posting.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 06:15 PM

PDF/X is the most reliable method of prepress document exchange. PDF/X files can be generated natively from Creative Suite apps or distilled from any app using Distiller. PDF/X is an ISO approved subset of PDF settings created for exactly this purpose. For added security, EnFocus PitStop is a very worthwhile investment for detecting and if necessary correcting PDF issues before sending them to final production.

Read more about PDF/X at pdfxreport.com

(Edit: sorry to sound like an advert. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by th3ph17 View Post
the actual spec sheet itself also has little illustrations and further requirements for useable area, etc...i didn't want to go toooo overboard in posting.
IMHO, there should be three sizes: (example 8x10 mag.)

- Bleed Size 8.5 x 10.5 (.25" bleed around entire piece)
- Trim Size (8" x 10")
- Safe Area (7.5" x 9.5" (.25" from all edges)

I design at times for a number of publications and they are all over the place regarding the way they request their ads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules