Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is the CPU upgrade business for Apple Computers virtually dead?

Is the CPU upgrade business for Apple Computers virtually dead?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 11:59 PM

Just thinking that it's been a long time since we've heard an announcement concerning new processor upgrades from any of the upgrade companies (sonnet, OWC, etc.). And when there is an announcement it is still for an old and near obsolete G4 processor. Was there ever a G5 processor upgrade? How about upgrading a G5 to an intel processor? Will any of the companies start offering Intel upgrades or does Intel keep that strictly in house?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 11, 2007, 12:09 AM

Why would they offer intel upgrades for the mac? Just go to pricewatch.com. Order whatever you want, as long as it fits, for the cheapest price.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Walker View Post
How about upgrading a G5 to an intel processor?
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2007, 12:14 AM

You can buy Intel processors from vendors and install them like this hack job:
Apple Core Solo to Core Duo upgrade. - XtremeSystems Forums

But I think the G4 and G5 have reached their practical limits - hence the move the Intel. I also can't imagine putting an Intel on any of these machines, as the motherboard is different.

I do hope that OWC comes through with something though. They've always made great upgrades IMO, I've used them for years. Ya never know.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 12:49 AM

The Mac processor business is alive and well. A company called Intel makes many Mac compatible processor upgrades.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The Mac processor business is alive and well. A company called Intel makes many Mac compatible processor upgrades.
No one said a thing about the Mac processor business. His question concerned the Apple CPU upgrade business.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
No one said a thing about the Mac processor business. His question concerned the Apple CPU upgrade business.
I was talking about the Apple CPU upgrade business.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Just thinking that it's been a long time since we've heard an announcement concerning new processor upgrades from any of the upgrade companies (sonnet, OWC, etc.).
I was talking about the Apple CPU upgrade business.
In the very strictest sense of the word, yes. But it's quite obvious that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was talking about.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 02:44 AM

Hmm excuse me, but I don't get it What's the tangible difference? You upgrade the processor inside your Mac, that is made by Apple.

Before the Intel-era, you needed upgrade company because most models were pratically not upgradable and you had to use hacks like using the L2 cache slot and the like. Or, the case of ZIF model, you just couldn't simply buy G3 or G4 processor over the shelf anywhere, so you had to revert to these specialized companies. But now that you can go to almost any retailers and buy compatible CPU and just drop them in...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 03:25 AM

In the very strictest sense of the word, yes. But it's quite obvious that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was talking about.
The OP wanted to know about the aftermarket processor upgrade companies. As it stands, after market processor upgrades are alive and well. Just pick up a boxed Intel processor, and you're good to go.

The G5's weren't designed to be upgraded. Too fine tuned. The G4 upgrade market is still doing well, although the G4 has reached it's limit.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 05:07 AM

By "upgrade" you mean overclocked?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2007, 05:12 AM

1. The G5 architecture does not allow for easy processor upgrades; in fact, it's pretty impossible.

2. G4 upgrades won't be going much further because the G4 isn't getting any faster; the existing upgrades should still be available for a while, however.

3. Mactels don't need a special processor upgrade market because they use Intel motherboards and accept Intel processor upgrades. You can read about the upgrades done to Mac minis and Mac Pros on their respective forums and elsewhere online.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 05:13 AM

I guess it all come to some kind of halt, when the upgrader companies never showed any G5 items. The G4 upgrade market is still there. I'm interested to get some fast 7448 for my 'book as well.

Regards
PB
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2007, 05:17 AM

The G5's architecture is locked down. If the processor speed is altered, the bus multiplier is changed and that causes the hardware to drastically downclock the upgraded processor (to my understanding). I'm not entirely sure why Apple chose to do that with the G5, but that's the way it works.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Jan 11, 2007, 06:11 AM

The PowerPC upgrade market has been in decline for years, ever since Apple used a G5. There has never benn and probably will never be a G5 upgrade card by a third party. So yes, it's dying.

Intel-based Macs can be upgraded fairly easily, just like any PC -- with the same limitations, obviously.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 11, 2007, 09:46 AM

G5s can be overclocked... if you read strangedogs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules