Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Utility Restore Function MacBook Pro

Disk Utility Restore Function MacBook Pro
jaba813
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 02:48 PM

I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on my MacBook, and prior to doing so I booted into Disk Utility from the Tiger Installation disk and utilized the restore function to create a bootable copy of my local hard drive onto an external drive.

This worked perfectly for my migration to Leopard. I did this using a FireWire MyBook 500 GB drive.

My friend has a MacBook Pro and I tried to do the same thing with his machine. He is using a MyBook USB 320 GB drive, but when we boot into Disk Utility from his installation disks it would not allow me to drag his local hard drive to the source bar or the external to the destination bar.

We were able to copy the local hard drives contents using the restore function in disk utility from within OS X, but then we were unable to boot into OS X with the drive. It gave us some errors on a black screen.

Any thoughts?

Can you boot into OS X from a USB Drive?

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaba813 View Post
Can you boot into OS X from a USB Drive?
Intel-based Macs can, PPC-based Macs cannot.

jaba813  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 02:54 PM

Any thoughts on why the Disk Utility wouldn't let us clone the drive using the restore function in Disk Utility when I booted from the disc?

Forum Links
Forum Rules