Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Importing Settings To Leopard

Importing Settings To Leopard
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 06:36 PM

I'm about to back up my internal HD (using SuperDuper!) to a new external usb drive that i'v partitioned, then I'm going to do a clean install of Leopard. I'm just wondering, will i be able to import my settings from the back up drive to leopard even though its a usb drive?

Thanks.

jaba813
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 03:28 AM

I'm not really familiar with SuperDuper!, however I used the "Restore" function via Disk Utility to an external FireWire drive, and was able to do a fresh install of Leopard and then utilize OS X's Data Migration Tool using the external drive as the source.

That should accomplish what you're looking to do as well.

You should have no problems with the fact that it's a USB Drive as long as you make sure that it's setup under the Partition Options as a GUID Partition Map.

I was able to make a perfect bootable back up on my friends MacBook Pro onto a USB drive.

OreoCookie
Nov 29, 2007, 05:44 AM

You can import your settings (and only those) via Migration Assistant.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2007, 07:29 AM

I use Superduper but it's not yet compatable with Leopard.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

OreoCookie
Nov 29, 2007, 07:32 AM

As I understand, the OP wants to clone his original partition of Tiger and then make a clean install of Leopard. But you're right, if he has already installed Leopard, then he should definitely not do that, but use Time Machine to back up his drive and then restore from a Time Machine backup.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules