Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nexus One

Nexus One (Page 7)
Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2010, 05:01 AM

I specified 3g bands. Any gsm phone will work on at&t and t-mobile for phone/gprs/edge. The Canadian Telus Milestone will work on at&t 3g, but the Euro Milestone will not. I used the Droid/Milestone reference since it was recent, and was showing the duplicate hardware with differing monikers. The HTC Desire/Bravo is just a Nexus for another market with different 3g bands. The only hardware difference is the optical trackball.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. However, instead of screwing it up completely royally the way Apple did, they are returning the $100 automatically and without being publicly humiliated into it.
People *still* don't realize the HUGE PR coup Apple landed with that?

1. An estimated $400 million in free advertising (worldwide news coverage) after the January presentation.

2. Another huge free Jesusphone publicity campaign on actual release.

3. Another worldwide news boost when Apple slashes the price by $200 (which is how every single manufacturer of mobile communications tech operates, btw - high price on initial launch, and once the product is actually available in quantity, drop the price accordingly to increase demand).

4. And a final huge boost in approving media coverage when Apple announces they will reimburse early adopters with a shopping voucher.

That's what arrived outside the geek community.

Masterfully orchestrated, if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
It does point to a attitude Google had about the phone, falsely riding the wave of hype riding up to its release and overpricing the unit.
No, it's indicative of Google following completely standard industry procedure.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 03:11 PM

Wow this is unbelievable.

The Nexus One's Dirty Display Secret - Nexus one screen - Gizmodo

Ok so this "wicked" OLED screen that everyone thinks they want and is a killer feature in the Nexus has the following issues.

1) Everything BUT white text on a black background will look like crap and use a lot of power.
2) The screen is no where near as accurate to touch as the iPhone.
3) You can't see the screen outside in sunlight.
4) OLED screens blue colour fades drastically and permanently in under 1000 hours of use.
5) Cost 5x more than LCD displays.

So when is Apple adding this to the iPhone. I'm jealous.

Guess this is what happens when you need your product among hundreds just like it to stand out. Hey it looks like crap but makes a mean bullet point in the sales pitch!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Obviously you've never used an Android phone, or one with Sense. I already told you one thing that it can do which the iPhone can't. Multitask. In the thread about Windows Mobile 7, you said that it couldn't succeed because it can't multitask. Now you change your tune? Whatever. I'm done arguing. The point is that the smartphone industry is incredibly competitive and to blindly say that one product is better than all the rest without even understanding the rest is simply ignorant and stupid.
Oh the iPhone multitasks all the time. What you mean is EVERY app can't multitask whenever it likes.

But ya you're right one product isn't better than everyone else for the most part. That's why everyone is buying the iPhone and every competitor is playing catchup.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
1) Everything BUT white text on a black background will look like crap and use a lot of power.
It's not news that OLED screens use more power when they're turned on. The power savings come from the fact that they use no power to display black, so screens with black backgrounds can use significantly less power than screens with colored backgrounds.

As for the ugliness: I disagree, I think it looks great; but that's just my opinion.

2) The screen is no where near as accurate to touch as the iPhone.
This is true, but doesn't really affect day to day usage. The one exception to this that I've discovered is that a low ambient temperature seems to have an effect; when the phone/screen is very cold the accuracy seems to be noticably worse. However this could also have something to do with the cold air changing the conductive properties of the skin on my fingertips, so this might also be a problem with other touchscreen phones as well.

3) You can't see the screen outside in sunlight.
In my experience this is untrue. Sure, it's difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight, but no more so than on my old iPhone or any other non-eInk electronic display that I've ever seen.

4) OLED screens blue colour fades drastically and permanently in under 1000 hours of use.
That sucks, though I haven't experienced it yet.

5) Cost 5x more than LCD displays.
So what? That increase in cost is not apparently passed on to the consumer as the Nexus is cheaper than the iPhone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2010, 06:56 PM

That's why everyone is buying the iPhone and every competitor is playing catchup.
Everyone is buying the iPhone? Where do you get that stat from? The latest I've heard is that the iPhone accounts for 16% of mobile sales... that's hardly everyone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 02:21 AM

I notice no difference in response in sub-freezing temperatures and indoors on my iPhone.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I notice no difference in response in sub-freezing temperatures and indoors on my iPhone.
Interesting, could definitely be a Nexus One thing then as I have absolutely noticed a difference between when the phone is warm and cold.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Interesting, could definitely be a Nexus One thing then as I have absolutely noticed a difference between when the phone is warm and cold.
Maybe your hands are just frozen and you can't feel the phone

Seriously though, I can't text when I'm walking to class if it's below 20˚, I mess up every character.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

Maybe your hands are just frozen and you can't feel the phone

Seriously though, I can't text when I'm walking to class if it's below 20˚, I mess up every character.
The problems I've seen are definitely phone related. As in I'll touch somewhere near the middle of the screen, and it will select something at the bottom of the screen that is not even remotely near my finger. It also definitely seems to be temperature related as if I move the phone inside my jacket and let it warm up (usually it's in my pants pocket) it works much better.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 02:26 PM

I'll wait for color eInk with 30fps refresh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2010, 02:45 PM

Everyone is buying the iPhone? Where do you get that stat from? The latest I've heard is that the iPhone accounts for 16% of mobile sales... that's hardly everyone.
Ya you're right the iPhone isn't that popular and the other companies are coming out with plenty of original idea's themselves

Study: Android, iPhone fastest-growing smartphone platforms | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 8, 2010, 04:26 PM

The early sales numbers on Google’s Nexus One smart phone look weaker than Goldman Sachs analysts had originally expected, forcing them to chop their unit sales estimate for Google’s would-be iPhone killer. Here’s a snip from a Goldman Sachs note published Sunday:

We previously estimated that Google might sell 3.5 mn Nexus One units in 2010. Initial data-points were disappointing, possibly due to limited marketing and customer service challenges. Flurry estimated (based on mobile traffic) that Google sold 20,000 in the first week, and 80,000 in the first month, both annualizing to 1.0 mn. We forecast that Google sells 1.0 mn Nexus One units in FY2010, benefiting from US carriers other than T-Mobile, and non-US carriers such as Vodafone, promoting the device too, but suffering from limited marketing activity. We assume that Google rolls out a second Nexus handset, markets it more aggressively, and makes it available offline, and therefore forecast that Google sells 2 mn handsets per year in 2011 and future years.

All told, Goldman views the launch of the Nexus One much as the Swiss would, “neutrally.”

Goldman: We Were Too Rosy on Google Smartphone Unit Sales - MarketBeat - WSJ

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 04:33 PM

Blame the marketing I guess. Worlds best kept secret is the Nexus 1 apparently.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 05:24 PM

Ya you're right the iPhone isn't that popular and the other companies are coming out with plenty of original idea's themselves
Maybe they'll invent a spell checker that rids of rogue apostrophes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm pretty sure Google's spelling/grammar checker for Wave does that...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Oh so that's the missing key to its future success.

Plus there's an app for that.

'

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 04:57 PM

Groan another phone. How is this different, cheaper or better than the million Google phone almost like it? Different skin too? So damn confusing as to what's what.

Oh and the OLED can't be seen outside and has a brown tint. Just like all the others.
HTC Legend review -- Engadget

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 05:21 PM

It's basically the next generation of the Hero, which is pretty old now, and it's the first HTC phone with 2.1 and updated Sense.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 05:41 PM

It's basically the next generation of the Hero, which is pretty old now, and it's the first HTC phone with 2.1 and updated Sense.
Really it looks like a g1. Or a Nexus.

Which can take the latest OS? Motorola Droid? Which interface? Which out of all these HTC devices is the best one? They all seems the same with tiny differences for no reason other then to sell to every niche you can to get sales.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 05:57 PM

The Droid has 2.1... eventually most, if not all HTC Android phones will have 2.1.

All of the different little variations are because of all the different carriers. For example, the Hero on Sprint is different than the European Hero. And the Droid Eris on Verizon is really just the Hero. If HTC only sold to one carrier, I doubt the product lineup would be anything like what it looks like today.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 06:02 PM

The Droid has 2.1... eventually most, if not all HTC Android phones will have 2.1.
Oh right but if I get the Motorola Droid and upgrade it to 2.1 it won't have some of the changes like the new home button etc. Makes perfect sense.

I also don't understand how apple can have multiple carriers yet only 2 iPhone models and still do better. Hmmm, they must be onto something.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 06:32 PM

Because the carriers that Apple has chosen don't care about their own gratuitous branding...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 06:36 PM

Because the carriers that Apple has chosen don't care about their own gratuitous branding...
They don't care? Or they're willing to conceded to Apple in order to carry the iPhone?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 06:37 PM

Pff ya right. Here in Canada the Google G1 was't even called that and had Rogers Branding. At&T will happily slap their logo and skin on any phone they can.

Difference is Apple won't let them. They have the power to do this as they actually have a good product and not let the cellular company control them. HTC can take what I can.

And that in no way explains why the droid can't get the same home button with the same OS version and skin.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 03:15 PM

Ouch. Didn't Google come out with the "free" android OS so they could make more money off search results ads.

Seems like you can take their OS and replace it with your branding instead. That's gonna bite them in the ass.

Motorola to put Bing search on Android phones | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 03:45 PM

That makes sense though after the Google/China fiasco. What doesn't make sense is the Motorola Backflip which comes with Yahoo as standard...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2010, 06:09 PM

They are still shipping phones with 1.5?! Are they nuts?

New Phones Still Sold With Old Versions of Android | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 06:12 PM

Not quite sure what's so special about that. There are still phones shipping with Windows Mobile 6. Asking a simple question would have solved that guy's issue, or taking a look at the product's website...

Plus the Droid Eris is getting 2.1, most likely this month, so no big deal. Some people have already gotten it OTA.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 06:25 PM

Ouch. Didn't Google come out with the "free" android OS so they could make more money off search results ads.

Seems like you can take their OS and replace it with your branding instead. That's gonna bite them in the ass.

Motorola to put Bing search on Android phones | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld
Who said that their strategy was dependent on making money on search ads? If they wanted to prevent this from happening they wouldn't have made it so easy to do.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 06:49 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2010, 11:00 PM

Not quite sure what's so special about that. There are still phones shipping with Windows Mobile 6. Asking a simple question would have solved that guy's issue, or taking a look at the product's website...

Plus the Droid Eris is getting 2.1, most likely this month, so no big deal. Some people have already gotten it OTA.
Difference is, Windows Mobile 6 is the current version of Windows Mobile. A Motorola phone released last week is running an outdated Android OS. Seems like a bad idea.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 11:02 PM

No it's not. 6.5.3 is the newest version.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 12:04 AM

Asking a simple question would have solved that guy's issue, or taking a look at the product's website...
Ridiculous. Name one normal person who would ask "Is this phone capable of running the latest Android OS or upgradable to it".

Even if he looked at the website if it lists "Android OS 1.5 Cupcake" what does that mean to the average buyer?

95% of smartphone owners don't even know what an OS is.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Mar 16, 2010 at 12:24 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 06:36 AM

No it's not. 6.5.3 is the newest version.
And that's not Windows Mobile 6?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 12:11 PM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
People *still* don't realize the HUGE PR coup Apple landed with that?

1. An estimated $400 million in free advertising (worldwide news coverage) after the January presentation.

2. Another huge free Jesusphone publicity campaign on actual release.

No, it's indicative of Google following completely standard industry procedure.
"Awareness of the Google Nexus One phone itself following launch was found to be 91% amongst iPhone users, 75% amongst Blackberry users, and 73% amongst users of other smartphones."

"The Nexus One was announced for a long time on the most popular web page in the world: The Google home page. Only the Nexus One and Google's Chrome have been announced in that sacred place, which is used by a gigazillion people every day. It's the most watched, most expensive advertising spot on the planet."

The Nexus One Is a Total Flop - Sales - Gizmodo

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 12:25 PM

I'm beginning to think you may not care for this Nexus One telephone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm beginning to think you may not care for this Nexus One telephone.
Actually my issues are with Android mostly.

So before the Nexus shipped it was supposed to revolutionize the industry and help break consumers away from telecoms contracts.

Guess most people are more into 150,000 apps to choose from and more consistent hardware and software. Idiots.

Once again. How the hell do you compete with a $99-300 price range which all smartphones have? OLED's that you can't see outside are not going to cut it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 01:08 PM

If you aren't being forced to use an Android phone, why do you care?

I remember when PC fanboys would constantly bring up the point that there was way more software on the PC then the Mac. Now it's the iPhone's turn I guess.

PCs are more popular and have more applications! The iPhone is more popular and has more applications!

Not trying to make any sort of point, just find it amusing.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 02:25 PM

So before the Nexus shipped it was supposed to revolutionize the industry and help break consumers away from telecoms contracts.
But did Google say that? Or did the media hype say that? I think you'll find that it's the latter.

You should really watch the Engadget Show featuring an exec from the Nexus One team (can't remember his name off the top of my head). The Nexus One wasn't meant to be a revolutionary device or break consumers away from contracts (or else why would it be sold on AT&T or T-mo, etc). It was meant to be the first phone sold through google.com/phone. Eventually Google wants to sell all Android phones via that website. You're making out the Nexus One to be something that it isn't. The only special thing about the N1 is that it was the first device to ship with 2.1 and it has a quite powerful processor that is the standard now for 2.1 devices.

The way you describe your argument against Android makes it sound like you'd rather have a marketplace without any competition at all and just one device. That seems rather boring to me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 12:05 AM

Once again. How the hell do you compete with a $99-300 price range which all smartphones have? OLED's that you can't see outside are not going to cut it.
Last time I checked, $179 was between $99 and $300...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2010, 01:12 PM

But did Google say that? Or did the media hype say that? I think you'll find that it's the latter.
Correct

Live Blog: Google’s Android announcement (Nexus One)

Q: Does Google get a piece of each Nexus One sale?
A: Obviously, primary business is advertising. (Dodges question, alludes to making more money off advertising) Admits that there is an opportunity to make money off the phone, but that’s not the point with the Nexus One.

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 18, 2010, 11:15 AM

Google's 'Nexus One' mobile phone trademark denied

Google's 'Nexus One' trademark denied - MarketWatch

Nothing is going right for Google with this phone...!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Google's 'Nexus One' mobile phone trademark denied

Google's 'Nexus One' trademark denied - MarketWatch

Nothing is going right for Google with this phone...!
Nexus Two!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 02:20 PM

Nexus fail:
Okay, Google's New Way to Sell a Phone Is a Failure: Nexus One Won't Be Sold Online Anymore - Android - Gizmodo

Wow that was a good few months of revolutionizing the industry. Google even stopped updating/fixing the Nexus a month ago leaving all the users with major 3G connectivity problems. On the plus side you can take your discontinued, unsupported phone to another carrier! Whoo who!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 02:35 PM

Nexus fail:
Okay, Google's New Way to Sell a Phone Is a Failure: Nexus One Won't Be Sold Online Anymore - Android - Gizmodo

Wow that was a good few months of revolutionizing the industry. Google even stopped updating/fixing the Nexus a month ago leaving all the users with major 3G connectivity problems. On the plus side you can take your discontinued, unsupported phone to another carrier! Whoo who!
Google have said that the Nexus One (specifically the store) was an experiment from the very beginning. Sometimes experiments don't work out.

The Nexus One isn't discontinued or unsupported BTW. It'll receive Android 2.2 (and probably 3.0), and now will be sold in brick and mortar stores.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 03:45 PM

As long as you can still get it unlocked, this is fine. Selling a phone in a brick-and-mortar store is a better idea anyway, since people like to be able to see a phone in person before they buy it. This allows you to see what the screen looks like first-hand, how the phone feels in your hand, etc. They should have been selling these in the Wal-Marts of the world from the beginning, IMO, rather than making people buy them sight-unseen.

I'm sure it will still be possible to buy the phone at online stores such as Amazon for those who want to.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 03:52 PM

Google have said that the Nexus One (specifically the store) was an experiment from the very beginning. Sometimes experiments don't work out.

The Nexus One isn't discontinued or unsupported BTW. It'll receive Android 2.2 (and probably 3.0), and now will be sold in brick and mortar stores.
Good for them and their experiment. My comment was to all the people here who thought it would work and to show that those of us who said it would fail from the start were correct.

And ya I am sure people will still want the nexus when carriers aren't carrying or advertising with it and there is newer better models that came out such as the incredible. Strange how trackpads were only invented by HTC 3 months after the Nexus and its single ball came out. Shame.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2010, 04:00 PM

Good for them and their experiment. My comment was to all the people here who thought it would work and to show that those of us who said it would fail from the start were correct.
Then you should also send a message to your elementary school teachers who thought teaching you to read English would work. What they are stopping is selling the phone exclusively on the Web, which was a bad idea in the first place. The phone is not discontinued, they are simply selling it in brick-and-mortar stores now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules