Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 23 Inch Apple Cinema Display and Thunderbolt

23 Inch Apple Cinema Display and Thunderbolt
MacBook78
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2011, 10:26 AM

I am hoping someone can help me as the Apple store in Cambridge seemed a bit clueless. In an attempt to do my photo editing on a larger monitor and sitting at a desk, I decided to purchase a 23 inch Apple Cinema HD Display - 2008 model. I also have a Thunderbolt model Macbook Pro. Now two people in the Apple store told me that all I would need is the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter to connect the two. I cannot make heads or tales of this and understand if it is true. If anyone could help me out here it would be appreciated. The guy who is selling me the monitor is holding off taking my money until we are both sure. It stumped him too. My email has been removed so that nasty ad robots can't get it (OreoCookie) - just send me a message there to let me know if it will work. I assume I won't have any other compatibility issues using this monitor. Its what I could afford in my budget. Joe
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jul 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed e-mail address)

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2011, 10:51 AM

Thunderbolt is backwards-compatible to DisplayPort. That means, you can take any DisplayPort cable or adapter and it will just work. The guys in the Apple Store were spot on with their information.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2011, 10:54 AM

OreoCookie,

Thanks. I thought they might be. But they had a few moments of unsuredness and it made me waiver. I knew the cable I was looking for and they didn't have any in stock, so we weren't able to confirm. But I just wanted to make sure so I didn't waste anyones time with having to ship back a monitor. Also, I have read some reviews that the later models were better than the earlier ones. Do you know of any links pointing to such reviews?

Joe

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 AM

I do this with multiple systems everyday... it works.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by MacBook78 View Post
Also, I have read some reviews that the later models were better than the earlier ones. Do you know of any links pointing to such reviews?
Well, the current model has a built-in Thunderbolt docking station that gives you three USB ports, a FireWire 800 port, and an Ethernet port, all implemented via Thunderbolt, meaning that you can just plug in one cable and connect all your stuff at once. I think this is really cool, but if that doesn't matter to you, then they're all basically IPS displays, and the only major difference would be whether you prefer the matte finish on the older models or the glossy on the newer ones.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2011, 05:06 AM

CharleS, Thanks for the reply. I am impressed with what Thuderbolt can do. I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be wasting the money on a display if it wasn't going to work properly.

Joe

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2011, 08:47 AM

So the monitor has arrived, but it doesn't seem as crisp as I want it too. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the limitations of a newer macbook pro connected to an older display?

OreoCookie
Aug 2, 2011, 08:50 AM

What resolution are you running the screen at (you can check this in the System Prefs)?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacBook78  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2011, 08:55 AM

Oreo,

Both were at their max resolution. I think 1900 x 1200 for the HD Display and 1680 x 1050 for my macbook pro. I didn't know if there was a special combo that needed to be tried. I mean it looked ok, but it wasn't crisp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules